Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mini Cooper S

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by RickRob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Mrs R made the surprise announcement at the weekend that we should get another car, in addition to the Discovery 4 and the Zed. We cannot manage without 2 cars and we're both concerned that the Zed shouldn't be relied upon in the event that we get a hard winter.

I'm thinking of getting a Cooper S. Probably looking to spend no more than £6k.

Any tips for things to look out for or views that this is a good/bad idea?

Thanks!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Angelus666

Mini Cooper S

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Get the manual, don't get the auto....they're truly awful.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm

I would get the cooper as opposed to the cooper s, it’s a more reliable car & still fun to drive.
The forced induction cars can be troublesome :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

99ron

Mini Cooper S

Post by 99ron » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm

My daugher has the r56 cooper and agree it is fun. That inspired me to buy the JCW which is absolutely halarious. Google death rattle for timing chains and make sure its been done. Engines need a walnut blast after a while, not expensive I hear. Both issues had already been done on my JCW before i bought it. They burn a bit of oil so keep an eye on that. I have just done an interim oil change on mine as 2 year intervals are too long and I think with the Millers I put in it seems to not be burning so much oil. Prices can vary I found based on spec. I found a nice car with great history and spec. Chilli pack seems essential then the rest is up to your needs. Heated seats and front screen were desirable winter must haves for me. Plenty of choice around so take your time and find a good one.
Oh and there are some suspension bushes at the front that are a common issue and require a dropped subframe to replace. Costs about 300 quid. Mine were done at 45k and polybushed.
Z4MR E85 for sunny day Hooning. 8)
Now with added joy of Gruppe M.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by RickRob » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:45 am

Angelus666 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm Get the manual, don't get the auto....they're truly awful.
Thanks - it will be a manual.
Smartbear wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm I would get the cooper as opposed to the cooper s, it’s a more reliable car & still fun to drive.
The forced induction cars can be troublesome :?
Rob
Thanks Rob. I get the "less things to go wrong" point, but am concerned that a Cooper may feel a bit unexciting compared with the S. I proabably should test drive one of each.
99ron wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm My daugher has the r56 cooper and agree it is fun. That inspired me to buy the JCW which is absolutely halarious. Google death rattle for timing chains and make sure its been done. Engines need a walnut blast after a while, not expensive I hear. Both issues had already been done on my JCW before i bought it. They burn a bit of oil so keep an eye on that. I have just done an interim oil change on mine as 2 year intervals are too long and I think with the Millers I put in it seems to not be burning so much oil. Prices can vary I found based on spec. I found a nice car with great history and spec. Chilli pack seems essential then the rest is up to your needs. Heated seats and front screen were desirable winter must haves for me. Plenty of choice around so take your time and find a good one.
Oh and there are some suspension bushes at the front that are a common issue and require a dropped subframe to replace. Costs about 300 quid. Mine were done at 45k and polybushed.
Many thanks for all of this. I am very tempted by a JCW, but they seem to be beyond my ( very provisional) budget. I will check the points you raise. Chilli pack does seem like a good place to start.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by Ewazix » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:06 am

I'm on my 3rd iteration of BMW including the first generation Cooper and an R56 Turbo Cooper S. I'll sum up the S in three words fast, fun and fragile! Fuel pump at 23k miles (warranty). Timing chain gear at 26k miles (Warranty). Oil leak gearbox/engine 26k (warranty). Coked head requiring blasting (warranty). Interior rattles...... everywhere and change depending on the weather! I outed it days before the warranty passed as my nerves couldn't take it, great drivers car but suffice to say I'd have another R56 but definitely not the S.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ocrx8

Mini Cooper S

Post by ocrx8 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:10 am

My R56 S was also on the fragile side - thankfully mine was an AUC. I racked up circa £5k repairs in 18 months alone. Although the car was fun, never again!
Current: '08 ///MR | Interlagos | Champagne | Nav | DSP | Cruise | Intravee | ZHP | Black Grilles | Stubby

Previous: '56 3.0si Sport Roadster | Ruby Black | Extended Champagne | Nav | DSP | Xenons | 108s | Non-RFs | Stubby

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:35 am

Had an R56 Cooper for around 4 years.
Be prepared for a big bill if you get any oil leaks from the crank seal as it wrecks the clutch and the whole engine/gearbox needs taken out of the car to split and fix. had this twice.
The thermostat housing are plastic and glued together, these split apart at the seam and dump all your coolant. This also happened twice.
Rear calipers seize and need replaced. Changed these.
Door lock actuators can stop working. Changed this.
Not exactly great on fuel for such a small car, struggling to get 40mpg.
And as said already they burn oil, up to 1 litre per thousand miles is deemed acceptable by Mini/BMW. Ours used 1/2 litre per thousand miles so was lucky that way.
Wouldn't have another one even if they are quite nice to drive.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Buckz

Mini Cooper S

Post by Buckz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 am

I looked at them but was put off by the reliability. You'd expect them to be good but they're terrible and many don't want to work on them due to how tight packed they're. I'm now looking at Suzuki swift sport.

EssexZed

Mini Cooper S

Post by EssexZed » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:54 am

I got the R56 Cooper S new in 2007 and kept it for four years. It was fun to drive but consumed oil at the rate of a litre every 2000 miles which I thought was excessive but BMW disagreed. Cabin rattles absolutely drove me crazy, worse than the 2004 R52 Cooper I had before it and I thought that was bad. It proved quite reliable over the 60k miles I racked up and 40 plus mpg was regularly achieved. I also found it comfortable on long journeys. Despite that I'm not surprised by others on this forum who have described it as fragile - I got the feeling that it would prove an expensive car to maintain longer term.

Steve84N

Mini Cooper S

Post by Steve84N » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't get it, you live in West Sussex so the most you need for a hard winter is a set of winter tyres which will cost you next to nothing in comparison...
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by hopz121 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:07 pm

My misses maybe looking to sell her 07 MCS if you are interested,

Full Mini history and many big jobs already done.

Also had all disc's and pads done not so long ago and 4 new Goodyear eagle F1 tyres (non runflat) fitted under 2000 miles ago.

Its done around 50000 Miles from memory and is Chilli Red with Chilli Pack and a few other bits.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Nick_in_Suffolk

Mini Cooper S

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 pm

2009 R56 Cooper D, 2011 Cooper SD and finally a 2013 JCW. A total of just over 90k miles covered. Oil consumption, zero. Only fault was a radiator in the SD, which might have been a stone on the M25, but replaced under warranty. The 2 diesels managed over 55 mpg and the JCW 42mpg (over its 34k miles).

Were it not for the lack of practicality, the other 3 cars we have fall well short of that requirement, I might have kept the JCW until the government prised it out of my hands.
G29 S30i in SFR - my wife's car and her third Z
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Long gone, but not forgotten - 1988 E30 M3

raymond.harper

Mini Cooper S

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:17 pm

My wife has an R56 with the world's worst dip stick. Combined with a thirst for oil and inaccurate dip stick reading a bit of a problem child. Dip stick conversion that you can read costs £80 but in the end I just filed down one side of the stick and now get accurate readings. But a very solid car unlike a Suzuki Swift. However our Swift has needed nothing in 5 years other than tyres. Mini has needed radiator, thermostat housing and water pump and run flat tyres.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:30 pm

On the R56 non S model you could fit a space saver spare wheel under the rear of the car.
There is a kit available and it can only be fitted to the non S model as the S models exhaust exits in the centre.
Runflats were ditched straight away in favour of this. Never needed it though.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)