Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Angelus666

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Bit of a game changer in my view. The performance figure laughs at the £2m so-called hypercars. IF, they can sort the production issues, then you've got to think that they are changing the whole car market in the same way apple did with the phone market. I speak with a lot of my 'non' car friends and they absolutely aspire to own a Tesla way more than any other car.

Will BMW, Mercedes, Porsche still be making combustion engines in 2030...hugely doubtful, so suppose we should enjoy them whilst we can!!!

PaulG

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by PaulG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:42 pm

I would love an electric car with the performance and lack of moving parts, but not with current battery technology. What will a Tesla be worth in 15 years compared to a 15 year old Z3/Z4?
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm

PaulG wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:42 pm I would love an electric car with the performance and lack of moving parts, but not with current battery technology. What will a Tesla be worth in 15 years compared to a 15 year old Z3/Z4?
The Tesla roadster can manage 600miles on a single charge, that’s a huge improvement on previous electric cars.
Sounds good enough to be practical :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Great if you can afford the price tags that come with these cars of the future.
£200k is going to price a lot of people out of the market.
I get the feeling that in the future the roads are going to be very empty.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by buzyg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:04 pm

There is so much more to going fast than just speed. :wink:

PaulG

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by PaulG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm
PaulG wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:42 pm I would love an electric car with the performance and lack of moving parts, but not with current battery technology. What will a Tesla be worth in 15 years compared to a 15 year old Z3/Z4?
The Tesla roadster can manage 600miles on a single charge, that’s a huge improvement on previous electric cars.
Rob
It's not the range that is the issue to me but the longevity of the battery. I buy my cars second hand and keep them for at least 3 years. Current car is 6 years old and expect to be keeping it for at least another 3 years. What would a 9 year old battery be like? I have had enough electronic devices fail on me due to battery age to be very wary.
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 pm

PaulG wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm
Rob
It's not the range that is the issue to me but the longevity of the battery. I buy my cars second hand and keep them for at least 3 years. Current car is 6 years old and expect to be keeping it for at least another 3 years. What would a 9 year old battery be like? I have had enough electronic devices fail on me due to battery age to be very wary.
A replacement battery for a model 3 is almost $7000. So probably about £10,000 here.
If they last 10 years thats almost like fitting a new engine into a car thats only 10 years old.
And it probably doesnt matter how many miles the car has done, the batteries could be toast in 5 years.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Adam D

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Adam D » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 am

I think the roadster is using a 200kwh battery pack to achieve its acceleration figures. It’s not going to be light. Google suggests the 85kwh Tesla battery pack weighs 540kg :o

Truck is a missed opportunity to change the shape for the tractor unit to improve visibility.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Angelus666

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 pm

The Tesla brand will change the landscape of what people want from a car. Forward 15 years and I genuinely think people will find it ridiculous that we put petrol in our cars for so long. Our current crop of cars will be relics, slow, unreliable and IMO will be deemed almost worthless...

Will the next-gen Z4 after this new one be electric only....I'd wager 100% yes

Paulr

Tesla Roadster/Truck

Post by Paulr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Cars will become home generators as well, so when everyone gets in and plugs the car into the grid, the initial pot of tea rush on the grid will be handled by the cars giving back to the grid.

Norway are testing electric buses that at certain stops will re-charge using induction.

I can see a time that tarmac will collect the suns energy and recharge cars via induction as you drive.

That will be a while ahead though, but I suspect the new electric Porsche will satisfy the petrol-heads (e-heads?) and that many more will follow. Now the fuel companies are not so focused on protecting the petroleum industry and can see where the wind is blowing, necessity will be the mother of invention.

Profits or war drive progress I am afraid. Running petrol cars will become the domain of the enthusiast with deep pockets.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.