Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E92 M3 Comp

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jaw

E92 M3 Comp

Post by Jaw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Anyone have any seat time in an slk55?

I'm currently buying a new business / daily driver, only real restriction is that it needs to be 2011 or newer and enjoyable, Economical < fun.

I'd imagine after mostly being in a Porsche and z4m over the last couple of years, the SLK would feel a bit lardy, but would make a good cruiser?

Not reading much bad about them other than the slow roof which will be a pain after the Z being the last convertible. The motor sounds immense and good pace, cockpit looks great too,

current alternatives are

An E92 M3 (competition pack),
A Quattreporte,
a mustang (bottom of the pile, not sure I could live with a few qualms in the interior, the fact that they are everywhere, would be new so modding would be a no go for a while)
A C63 (found a nice example MY13)
and the outside choices a Q7 v12 TDI and range rover sport

I know all very different, sports car vs coupe vs saloon. If anyone's had a lot of time in and out of any of the above too would appreciate any feedback :D
Last edited by Jaw on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

SLK55 AMG? Sorry, another what car thread..

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Q7 v12 tdi is a monster! The torque wave is unreal. Its actually like being on a roller-coaster, so much so that my now 18 year old daughter used to get physically sick in it when she was younger!

Friend has a 16 plate c63 AMG and I've wrung it's neck a few times, not the best handling thing, but ferocious in a straight line. He's had it almost a year now and is still scared of it as it's bitten back a few times..

Mike

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 am

From your list. Quattreporte has to be the choice. :cry: :thumbsup:
Last edited by buzyg on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 am

buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 am From your list. Quatraporte has to be the choice. :cry: :thumbsup:
Much as I love the looks etc, parts prices make bmw stuff look like it's for free...

Mike

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm Q7 v12 tdi is a monster! The torque wave is unreal. Its actually like being on a roller-coaster, so much so that my now 18 year old daughter used to get physically sick in it when she was younger!

Friend has a 16 plate c63 AMG and I've wrung it's neck a few times, not the best handling thing, but ferocious in a straight line. He's had it almost a year now and is still scared of it as it's bitten back a few times..

Mike
Ha, I Can only imagine it would be a torque monster, have a test drive lined up next week in one :) I saw one keeping pace with a C63 on a cruise a month ago or so, mind boggling! How is it to live with day to day?

I kind of like the ferocity and care needed for the C63, adds a bit of a sense of occasion which I'd imagine (hope?) is replicated in the SLK55. Preference would have been an e60 M5 / M6 but they're just slightly too old for what I need (Although an M5 is possibly on the cards if all doesnt go to plan)

buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 am

From your list. Quattreporte has to be the choice. :cry: :thumbsup:

ha that was my initial thought, but I legit can't decide if I'm just saying that because it's a maserati and I'm being a brand whore haha Not sure if I'd actually 'enjoy' it anymore than the others? Test driving one this week so will hopefully know if I fall for it instantly, supposed to husstle very well for a two tonne car, less sure about the box being replaced with the autobox (option from 2009 model onwrds I think?) so will have to try both really

Repairs and service did spring to mind, but a good service on the others is likely to cost almost as much with australia prices on parts here (last paid $900 for a 2004 CLK key from the stealers) Occasionally will be driving other cars too so mileage shouldnt be too high so unless they break frequently I (famous last words) shouldn't be toooo much worse off
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am

I was looking at buying one 18 months ago , they are a bit of a thug of a car , quite old fashioned but in a good way . Buy the later 172 model as it's a much better car all round than the earlier better looking car .
I ended up with a brand new slc amg 43 , that everyone tells me is a crap car , but 367bhp , 9 speed box that doesn't auto change up in manual mode , factory lsd and fully disabled traction control when I want it does me fine , not to mention an absolute bargain compared to anything similar , It's just Mercedes are useless when it comes to dealer back up , I've got a 3 series also and BMW are 100% better .

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I have looked at these more than once, always really liked them.

The thing that put me off is they are expensive to run and service. With a good indy this will be avoided but the era of Merc and reliability with cost of parts... A friend of my dad has had one from new and its sounds glorious but man hes spent some money on that thing.

Its a 200mph car tho which is a bit of fun trivia to tell people.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 am
buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 am From your list. Quatraporte has to be the choice. :cry: :thumbsup:
Much as I love the looks etc, parts prices make bmw stuff look like it's for free...

Mike
Agree in general with that. Though when I was buying the Zed. I looked long and hard at the Maza Spider & a new exhaust was cheaper than for the MR. :) Unfortunately the closest service I could find, at that time, was 101 miles away. :o . Any way glad I bought the Zed. :D

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Jaw wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 am
Ha, I Can only imagine it would be a torque monster, have a test drive lined up next week in one :) I saw one keeping pace with a C63 on a cruise a month ago or so, mind boggling! How is it to live with day to day?
I loved it, only got rid as couldn't get a double pram in with all the seats up, so went to an XC90, which I also loved, but was somewhat of a letdown, coming from 493 bhp and 1000nm of torque, to a lowly 163 bhp and 340nm was a massive jump!

Wiped the smiles from a few hot hatch and more upmarket powerful cars in a straight line, obviously not the most nimble through the corners due to the weight. They literally EAT brake pads, think I got about 4k from one set of brembo fronts.. But discs not too bad and are heavy on tyres, mine was on 20's too..

Mike

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am

tomscott wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm Its a 200mph car tho which is a bit of fun trivia to tell people.
I think you've got the wrong car...

SL55 AMG perhaps but not the SLK55 AMG with 355hp or even 416hp.
Paulwirral wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am I ended up with a brand new slc amg 43 , that everyone tells me is a crap car , but 367bhp , 9 speed box that doesn't auto change up in manual mode , factory lsd and fully disabled traction control when I want it does me fine , not to mention an absolute bargain compared to anything similar
I recently had a week in an SLC300 and it was generally a very nice car. Main faults were no LSD, turbo lag and awful engine sound. It made all the trim vibrate and sounded like a wet fart. It also had pretty bad scuttle shake with the roof down.

I was thinking the 43 would be much better but I'd not call it a bargain when the 300 is already £40k. Porsche all day long at that money for me.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am

Steve84N wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am
tomscott wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm Its a 200mph car tho which is a bit of fun trivia to tell people.

Paulwirral wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am I ended up with a brand new slc amg 43 , that everyone tells me is a crap car , but 367bhp , 9 speed box that doesn't auto change up in manual mode , factory lsd and fully disabled traction control when I want it does me fine , not to mention an absolute bargain compared to anything similar
I recently had a week in an SLC300 and it was generally a very nice car. Main faults were no LSD, turbo lag and awful engine sound. It made all the trim vibrate and sounded like a wet fart. It also had pretty bad scuttle shake with the roof down.

I was thinking the 43 would be much better but I'd not call it a bargain when the 300 is already £40k. Porsche all day long at that money for me.
You'll get a 43 amg for 40k if you try hard and it's got all the toys as standard , that's one of the reasons I bought one , I was planning on a boxster but the Porsche options list is a scary place when buying new .
I have to say though , the boxster is a better car than the slc and the current z4 put together in , sorry if this upsets most on this forum ! Hopefully the new z will be a genuine alternative to a boxster as the merc is an ugly dinosaur and a ttrs is just fast .

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 pm
I loved it, only got rid as couldn't get a double pram in with all the seats up, so went to an XC90, which I also loved, but was somewhat of a letdown, coming from 493 bhp and 1000nm of torque, to a lowly 163 bhp and 340nm was a massive jump!

Wiped the smiles from a few hot hatch and more upmarket powerful cars in a straight line, obviously not the most nimble through the corners due to the weight. They literally EAT brake pads, think I got about 4k from one set of brembo fronts.. But discs not too bad and are heavy on tyres, mine was on 20's too..

Mike
That's suprising that the xc90 would have more space - the Q's seem huge from appearance!

The monster acceleration must keep the grin on that the maintenance wipes off :cry: Would love to have one for a week to see if I'd gel with it, I think I'm shying away from luxo suv's the more I think about it, even though in reality I know they're exactly what I ''need'' at the moment!
Paulwirral wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am

You'll get a 43 amg for 40k if you try hard and it's got all the toys as standard , that's one of the reasons I bought one , I was planning on a boxster but the Porsche options list is a scary place when buying new .
I have to say though , the boxster is a better car than the slc and the current z4 put together in , sorry if this upsets most on this forum ! Hopefully the new z will be a genuine alternative to a boxster as the merc is an ugly dinosaur and a ttrs is just fast .

The SLC certainly looks good, can't imagine the 43 is 'crap' by any measure! The not changing up in manual is a plus! I guess they deliver a totally different experience from a Porsche. The SL's have always been more.. wafty? than out and out fast?

I think I want something a bit bonkers rather than a 'good car' though that said.

Took a C63 out for a long spin today, the grunt of the thing, quite frankly, is just bull**** :rofl: genuinely laugh out loud kid stuff. I've recently bought a C4 corvette with straight pipes and the C class still delivered more childish laughs.

God willing will take out a Quattreporte on Thursday (still not convinced I'm not just tempted for the brand and the fact there are less fo them on the road meaning better residuals) followed by an SLK on the weekend to see how I feel.

Big pull for the SLK is I think it will deliver a lot of what I loved about the Z4M, a bit brutish, scruff of the neck type handling, throaty acceleration etc.

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm

tomscott wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm I have looked at these more than once, always really liked them.

The thing that put me off is they are expensive to run and service. With a good indy this will be avoided but the era of Merc and reliability with cost of parts... A friend of my dad has had one from new and its sounds glorious but man hes spent some money on that thing.

Its a 200mph car tho which is a bit of fun trivia to tell people.
Thought that might be the case, the reviews etc I've read suggest it's a reliable choice - but Merc ad BMW seem to be very good at surpressing bad press and when I speak to people who actually own them, the issues start to come out :/

Anything in particular he's had to shell out on?

Tough part is that I'm opting for slightly newer to finance and avoid spending a wad of cash on an older vantage/m6 or similar - if whatever I buy will cost a fortune to run then arguably I should just spend cash on something that I'd enjoy even more. Man maths I know given that those two options would also cost a bit to maintain but as an example, I could potentially get a v10 M5 for half the price of 2012 C63 / SLK55 AMG's.. If it ends up costing similar amounts to maintain, then I'm potentially not much worse off on the M5 :/ Unless kaboom..

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm

M5 is a far better motor than a merc.

Depends on what you really want for that budget. I assume around 15k?

Rs4? Pretty monstrous.
Impreza p1? Depreciation proof and pretty solid.
Evo FQ400...
Freshly imported but risky r34 Skyline? Cheaper than a known one with UK history.

All big and bargy with stupid power.

Depends if you want convertible or not.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Jaw wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm Big pull for the SLK is I think it will deliver a lot of what I loved about the Z4M, a bit brutish, scruff of the neck type handling, throaty acceleration etc.
I really wanted the SLK 55AMG before I got the Z (albeit the older model) and test drove a couple. The auto box felt pretty lazy compared to modern transmissions but it had loads of low down grunt and was more refined than the E85 (I'm guessing somewhere between the E85 and the E89). BUT, literally at almost every set of traffic lights in the town centre I was getting jaunts from idiots saying things like "girls car..." and "out for a drive in the wife's car eh...". I've never have comments like that in the E85 at all.

I guess you can just ignore it but it does seem to have a pretty strong perception as being a womans car which ultimately just put me off it. I did like it otherwise though.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.