Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Nissan 350z: A Heretic Speaks

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
spokey

The Nissan 350z: A Heretic Speaks

Post by spokey » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:07 pm

After lots of being a passenger in a 350z, I finally got to drive one this weekend. I was quite looking forward to the experience after hearing all the argy-bargy about whether a Z4 or a 350z was a better car. So ...

The first thing I noticed was that I felt a lot more cramped in the 350z that I did in a Z4. I really had to max out all the options to get into the Nissan. But I was comfortable and got the show on the road.

My first impression was that the engine really does sound lovely, all burbly and fruity. The dials are all cowled and aimed at the driver -- very nice.

The car feels a lot lighter than it is, and the engine provides a decent amount of low-down grunt. Grip levels were excellent, even though the tyres had 34000 miles on them! I was quite comfortable slinging the car through bends at good speeds and the car did an excellent job of not parking itself in the nearest hedge. :D

I did like the flickering red light telling me it was time to change gear, and the gear shift was easy and smooth -- all the controls are.

However, there were some downsides: The car really didn't seem to want to spend much time over 4000RPM, which is a strange thing for a driver of an E34 M5. The rear tyres seemed to squeal a lot on pull-off. :oops: But perhaps the worst thing was the sanitised driving experience. I was able to drive the car quickly, very easily; the performance was excellent and it made a nice noise -- but somehow, I just didn't care ... It wasn't woolly and numb like an Astra, but somehow there just wasn't any reward to it. Lobbing the car into a corner and kissing the apex just didn't seem as rewarding as it would in any BMW.

If I was looking for a nice, reliable, cost-effective, easy car to pootle around in, pose in and occasionally spank, I'd definitely consider it. But because none of those things mean as much to me as absolute driving pleasure does, I'll be giving it a miss.

Still, not bad for a Nissan! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
Aebous wrote:Does dating your car count?
Only if it involves something unpleasant to do with your tailpipe.... :rofl:
I wouldn't call it unpleasant :?

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: The Nissan 350z: A Heretic Speaks

Post by WLH » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:46 pm

spokey wrote:The car really didn't seem to want to spend much time over 4000RPM, which is a strange thing for a driver of an E34 M5. The rear tyres seemed to squeal a lot on pull-off. :oops: But perhaps the worst thing was the sanitised driving experience. I was able to drive the car quickly, very easily; the performance was excellent and it made a nice noise -- but somehow, I just didn't care ... It wasn't woolly and numb like an Astra, but somehow there just wasn't any reward to it. Lobbing the car into a corner and kissing the apex just didn't seem as rewarding as it would in any BMW.
Pretty much my opinion after driving one a few years ago... :)
Nice review... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

enfield

Post by enfield » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:45 am

Yeah - agreed. The 350z is not as good as the Z4M. I have never driven a 3.0 Z4 so I can't compare it to that but I have driven a 2.5 Z4. Compared to the 2.5 the 350z with a V6 is a better drive.

However, in the SUV department the Infiniti FX45 is far superior to the 4.4 X5 (2005). The Dealership had given me one for the day when I was getting the 2000km servicing for the Z4M. The X5 felt slower and also felt much less stable. I will have to try a new X5 and compare that to my Infiniti.
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:17 am

enfield wrote:However, in the SUV department the Infiniti FX45 is far superior to the 4.4 X5 (2005).
I once drove the FX35 and was impressed compared to the 3.0 X5... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:18 pm

I drove the new 2007 350z with 'power bulge' and a 2003 3.0 Z4 in the same day and whilst the 350z was big chunky and grunty, the Z4 was far more appealing which led me to eventually buy one. The Z4 is far lighter on the controls and chuckable, its more fun having a shade less power but able to point and shoot it around corners and through gaps :driving:

What puzzles me is how the 350z has such a large body but so little headroom and cabin space, I have bags of headroom in the Z4 with the roof up! :? The boot is a bit of a joke too and the rear visibility when parking is useless... didn't seem any quicker than my tuned Kouki S14 200sx but the instant torque of the larger 6 pot engines was miles better than my turbo 4 banger.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup: