Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is the Lotus Exige S Roadster the next step with no E89 "M"?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Ben Cole

Re: Is the Lotus Exige S Roadster the next step with no E89

Post by Ben Cole » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 pm

StevenH72 wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this. OP says he wants a natural progression. Why have you recommended an Elise over an Exige S Roadster?
I've recommended the Elise because I don't see the Exige/Elise as any kind of progression after the zed. It's such a different ownership prospect that I see it as a complete change rather than a progression. Therefore rather than wait for The open top Exige to come down in price as was mentioned earlier, the OP could try that type of car in the shape of the Elise now... which is of the same ilk if not as capable.

Simon_P wrote:
Hmm... think you are a bit confused on your Lotus variants there. Exige roadster is the new model along with Exige coupe, Exige coupe is the previous model which with a fitting kit would allow for the roof to be removed. Whilst some would argue not an every day car as a driving tool a Z4 isn't even in the same playing field.

TTRS is a fast car, serious fast when remapped but otherwise would not touch the others, very boring clinical machine.
I assure you, there is no confusion. See my point above.

I only mentioned the TTRS as an example of what a Z4MR owner might "progress" to because its a real example.

We could play semantics over the term "progression" in this instance but I'll leave it there. Suffice it to say that the two cars (TT and Z4M) are comfortable, everyday cars with a sporting nature. Forgetting about figures, on anything but a dry, open race track the TT is the faster car so that could be called progression. I take the point about it being boring. I wouldn't call it boring, though it did feel like I was playing a video game when I drove it!

Ben Cole

Post by Ben Cole » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm

@Paza3....not sure why you've quoted my post with "roll over laughing" smilies and then gone on to pretty much echo my thoughts exactly?

Also, to be clear in my above post I personally wouldn't buy a TTRS. As I said its just an example.

In my mind it's a sideways move and in no way worth the £20k+ cost to change.

A car that does the same job I would think the obvious choice is the 911. The Evora would be close but as mentioned the Elise/Exige would be a big change.
Last edited by Ben Cole on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Still can't fit. or I'd have bought an elise 15 years ago. :cry:

Hopefuly a DB9 next, I'm old. :)

Ben Cole

Post by Ben Cole » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 pm

buzyg wrote:Still can't fit. or I'd have bought an elise 15 years ago. :cry:

Yep, it's no fun getting in and out even for shorter people. One of the main reasons it can't really be compared to the Zed.

Dubbedown

Post by Dubbedown » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 am

TTRS?
Follow latest mods on Image Imolarot_S54 M Coupe OEM+

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 pm

I have a similar choice to make. For me the TTRS is of no interest. It's just a TT and in a straight-line drag race it isn't much quicker than a Z4M. Ok it's got a lot more torque so in-gear progress is quicker and you can remap but as I have no intention or desire to modify this is of little interest to me. It's also dull and boring once the initial fascination of its acceleration has worn off.

Cars I would consider include the new Exige S, Caterham 620r (look at the Autocar video and see what it does to a Golf GTi) or a 997 GT3. The latter is the clear favourite with me, but I'd really prefer the Gen 2 because it has the front-lifting axle option and a bit more poke. They are still out of my budget at the moment though, so i won't be changing just yet. Maybe in 12 months time things will be different when the 991 variant is out.

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Isn't the new Exige bigger than than the old Exige and Elise?

ItHurts

Post by ItHurts » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 am

Nice debate so far. Thank you.

I still feel that the Exige S is still a very desirable next step.
Be good... and if you can't be good... be good at it

Black Z4MR. The rest is just detail...

chris g

Post by chris g » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 am

Exige S looks amazing, too dear for me at 50k, if they dropped to 30k over time they make an attractive next car option. For me the Nissan GTR, 911 gt3 would make that shortlist. All quite different but amazing cars
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

ga41

Post by ga41 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 am

Zeld4 wrote:

Isn't the new Exige bigger than than the old Exige and Elise?
Only on the outside in order to fit the larger V6, the interior is the same as the previous ones.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Simon_P

Post by Simon_P » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:24 am

Last edited by Simon_P on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z4M Roadster - Interlargos/Champagne

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:28 am

Fixed that for you

-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Simon_P

Post by Simon_P » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:29 am

Cheers :thumbsup:
Z4M Roadster - Interlargos/Champagne

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 am

No worries, you just have to put only the video ID between the [youtube] brackets. In your case the video ID is "g-W5a44Q99c" It's the bit after "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v="

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am

I dont think I could ever buy a Lotus brand new, I just think you get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

I would considering a used Exige all day long though, the only reason I chosen the Z was the fact an Exige would have been a little too impractical for my current life. Great cars though for the weekend though.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD