Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Post by Stark » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 am

andicole0 wrote:Sounds like a case for "Honest John" at the daily telegraph, he would probably know of any strange goings on with the 1 series.

Andi.
I can't stand Honest John :headbang: :thumbsdown:

Mister T

Re: Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Post by Mister T » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Mister T wrote:I've heard of similar issues after jump starting, they really don't like it.

Would be interested to see any references to these. Everyone I've spoken to says it's impossible, never happens, etc.

May try writing direct to BMW Customer services
Just google BMW jump start mileage correction

From one of the sites offering mileage correction:

One of the reasons for the incorrect reading of the data on the digital odometer of the BMW 3 series is the corruption of the data while jump starting the car.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 pm

So all has been good for a couple of years until got the car back from a service last week. Daughter drove about 10 miles and it's dropped by exactly 8,000 miles.
It's now lower than at the last MOT and no chance of her covering enough this year to be back to 'correct; so will show very odd MOT history stats.

Guess it's time to take to a mileage correction service and in an ironic twist for such companies increase the mileage...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:16 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:So all has been good for a couple of years until got the car back from a service last week. Daughter drove about 10 miles and it's dropped by exactly 8,000 miles.
It's now lower than at the last MOT and no chance of her covering enough this year to be back to 'correct; so will show very odd MOT history stats.

Guess it's time to take to a mileage correction service and in an ironic twist for such companies increase the mileage...
Could I hire your daughter to drive my car please!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Believe me I've heard all the jokes and could have written a book on them. On the surface it seems good, but it's now pretty much an unsaleable car.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Just subscribed to this thread, cant offer any explanation but interested to hear of an eventual outcome.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:So all has been good for a couple of years until got the car back from a service last week. Daughter drove about 10 miles and it's dropped by exactly 8,000 miles.

Apparently, from next year it will be illegal to "correct" mileages, or to even be in possession of the equipment to do it, in the same way as IMEI changing equipment..

So I'd get a shuftie on if you are gonna get it done, and sell it before next year in case you can't do it again..

Mike

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Believe me I've heard all the jokes and could have written a book on them. On the surface it seems good, but it's now pretty much an unsaleable car.
Pretty much sum's it up :cry: possibly a buyer through the forum who knows the genuine story but the minute you start attempting to explain " shifty odometer readings between MOTs " you're gonna struggle to sell for close to the vehicles true worth
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:37 pm

Weird stuff! :scratchhead:

It sounds like the common factor is being serviced? The keys obviously store vehicle data inc miles, use patterns etc and upload on to the BMW database at service time, is it possible that a key is non-original of not functioning correctly and is conflicting with a second key which isn't in sync?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:53 am

bradmarsh1989 wrote:Why doesn't my Z4 do this :(
Smartbear wrote:

Could I hire your daughter to drive my car please!
Rob
Me too! I've added about 12k miles since owning (July last year)! I'll happily have the 8k drop you've had (before my own MOT is due)! :wink:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: illegal to "correct" mileages, or to even be in possession of the equipment to do it,
So anyone with a PC and usb OBD cable or a mobile phone and bluetooth OBD dongle is now breaking the law :rofl: way to go government
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Marius

Post by Marius » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 pm

85genius wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote: illegal to "correct" mileages, or to even be in possession of the equipment to do it,
So anyone with a PC and usb OBD cable or a mobile phone and bluetooth OBD dongle is now breaking the law :rofl: way to go government
you can't clock bmw with the phone app so you be safe :lol:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Yes - if that easy I'd have done it...
From memory in the Z4 it's stored in 3 discreet locations Inc the LCM and odometer unit

Marius

Post by Marius » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Yes - if that easy I'd have done it...
From memory in the Z4 it's stored in 3 discreet locations Inc the LCM and odometer unit
same on most bmw's. usually problems starts when people change mileage just on one module ,it saves time and money but gives headache to the new owner :lol: