Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
lotus791

Re: Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Post by lotus791 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Certainly a good one ... It should hold the mileage in 5 different places including both keys ... I'll be with a bmw master tech on Sunday I'll ask the question
E85 3.0

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri May 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Have you been driving everywhere in reverse.?? :wink:
A Dirty M///

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

lotus791 wrote:Certainly a good one ... It should hold the mileage in 5 different places including both keys ... I'll be with a bmw master tech on Sunday I'll ask the question
That would be useful. I'm strapped for time to get the car to a dealer and frankly they'll just look at me gone out. Your comment is exactly as per my expectation that it's stored in multiple places and indeed if yo tamper with one it affects the others. In theory what's happening isn't possible.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Fri May 09, 2014 9:18 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:...as per my expectation that it's stored in multiple places and indeed if yo tamper with one it affects the others.
Do you have software to directly read the mileage in the various modules? I'm wondering if the internal numbers stored in the modules are correct, and that it is the display malfunctioning, displaying an incorrect number.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

GBG

Post by GBG » Fri May 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Denis O wrote:
I do like that :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri May 09, 2014 9:45 pm

EdButler wrote:Did at any point you hit 88mph? :wink:
?
:rofl:

I'd definitely be pressing BMW to sort this. Can't believe they would be happy with stories of 1Series showing less than true mileage.

lotus791

Post by lotus791 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:26 pm

I spoke with my friend today ,forgot yesterday ...He was at bmw Acc and on courses all week so perfect timing really .... The instructers don't even know for sure lol ..But they reckon if the tamper light is not on then someone has been trying to programme something out of the dme control untit .. This may or may not be mileage related .... More than likely this would be one left on down the phone line for diagnosis . Not much help but If they don't know lol who will . I was wrong about the keys they just hold service data .
E85 3.0

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Lotus791
Very interesting. Strange that it just happens now after nearly a year of ownership and previously a month after purchase. Certainly crossed my mind someone had done something in the past, but no evidence of tampering and all the services, mot etc make sense.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Oh no - the mileage has dropped again today by another 2,000 ....

Drove 6,000+ miles last year and with 3 drops of 5,000, 500 and 200 we went to the MOT station with annual mileage of 400. Even they questioned it as barely used :(

Dropped again today by 2,000 miles, so the car is now at less than in 2012

No tamper lights, mileage reads out correctly when hooked up to OBD port. Done nothing to the car for months. No battery disconnects, no warnings, Indy serviced last week and driven 3 times then this morning bam - miles dropped by exactly 2,000

To some it seems like a dream car, but really bugs me now.....

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:35 pm

:rofl: :rofl:
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm

A1GSS wrote:
:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah yeah - been there and laughed at all the jokes.

If I could crack why it happens Id make a fortune :)

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Wow this is unbelievable. Sorry I can't help ... Big problem for resale though as your MOTs now will look odd :'(

Surely all you can do is drop BMW UK an email?
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 pm

I've heard of similar issues after jump starting, they really don't like it.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 am

Mister T wrote:I've heard of similar issues after jump starting, they really don't like it.

Would be interested to see any references to these. Everyone I've spoken to says it's impossible, never happens, etc.

May try writing direct to BMW Customer services

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:36 am

Sounds like someone in the know needs to do some trouble shooting on this. How does the car take the mileage readout? I guess from a wheel speed sensor or something like that. So is there an issue there perhaps?

Does it show any issues on diagnostics?

As others have said get it in to BMW and go armed with a video or photographic evidence.

Hope you manage to get it sorted either way.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!