Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

Have to admit I have no idea what's going on here:

Purchased my daughters BMW 1 series last year and a week later it went in for warranty work (dual mass flywheel). Not trusting the garage with the car for a week I took a photo of the mileage before and after and it dropped by 200 miles. Took it up with the dealer and they denied any knowledge and in fact got upset I was in effect accusing them of clocking it.

Fast forward to Wednesday this week and the car died and was jump started. This time the mileage dropped for 72,000 to 67,522 and remained at that.

Last night I came home fitted a new battery and it dropped by another few hundred miles when connected up.

The car now has less miles on it that the Last MOT and before we purchased it 10 months ago.

I know how mileage is stored on the Zed in the LCM, odometer and I think ECU, but WTF is going on with the 1 series??
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Denis O

Re: Odometer Mileage Decreasing - yes really!!

Post by Denis O » Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 am

Have you read the Stephen King book "Christine"

06 Full Fat Range Rover 4.2 S/c

05 Merc SL350

andicole0

Post by andicole0 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

Sounds like a case for "Honest John" at the daily telegraph, he would probably know of any strange goings on with the 1 series.

Andi.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

What does the service interval say - does it go up by thousands of miles as well?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

bradmarsh1989

Post by bradmarsh1989 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 am

Why doesn't my Z4 do this :(

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 09, 2014 10:07 am

Christine- certainly seems like it

Good point re Honest John :)

PVR - not checked that out. Did the battery late yesterday when I got back from Ireland and car is out for the day. Will look later.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 am

I'd take it up with BMW and tell them that if they don't fix it for free, you'll be talking to the local paper and Watchdog giving them a story about people not being able to trust the odometer readings on BMWs
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 am

The other thing is, how true was the mileage when you bought it if this issue existed before, i.e. was the true mileage higher but had been dropping before or do the MOT certificates indicate it is a recent problem?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 09, 2014 10:52 am

pvr wrote:The other thing is, how true was the mileage when you bought it if this issue existed before, i.e. was the true mileage higher but had been dropping before or do the MOT certificates indicate it is a recent problem?
Everything looked good from services to MOT's checked out online. Look of the car frankly is of <50k so no issues there. seems to be related to taking the battery out/disconnecting the power.

I'll speak to BMW, but somehow doubt they will either believe me nor fix it.

My preference is to understand how this can happen. When you stop and think, it's beyond bizarre and while it sounds good the car could become unsaleable...

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri May 09, 2014 11:07 am

That is very strange indeed.. This hasnt tripped the tamper switch?

Can you replicate it by unplugging the battery? Atleast you could show the engineer it!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 09, 2014 11:38 am

aquazi wrote:That is very strange indeed.. This hasnt tripped the tamper switch?

Can you replicate it by unplugging the battery? Atleast you could show the engineer it!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

If by tamper switch you mean the dot that appears on the mileage reading, then no.

In a way it was replicated by changing the battery as that dropped the mileage some more last night. Don't want to just keep doing it as who knows what it goes to next time...

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri May 09, 2014 11:47 am

If you can replicate it by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting, maybe an idea to video the process and post it online. Am sure someone would be interested in this issue, even if it's not your local BMW dealership.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

nightyard

Post by nightyard » Fri May 09, 2014 11:49 am

Contact BMW directly
Current : 640D M Sport & F30 320D
Previous: e39 3.0i, e86 3.0i, e85 3.0i, e46 m3, mk1 Audi TT, e92 2.0D

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Fri May 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Did at any point you hit 88mph? :wink:

This is absolutely baffling! I would love to know what is causing it but cannot begin to think what. Perhaps send BMW a video when you remove the battery terminals? To prove it?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Cars back and done a 40 mile trip and has correctly started to increase mileage as driven, but still around 5k shy of actual

Next service is now showing as due, so that's got zeroed out during the error, but easy enough to reset.