Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

981 Boxster

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Darren M

981 Boxster

Post by Darren M » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Passed the closest Porsche dealer to me today but unfortunately after they had closed. I managed to have a quick nose around and took a few pics and thought I would share. I'm not a massive fan of ragtops but I have to say the latest Boxster ragtop looks very good - in fact I'm not sure if I prefer the Cayman or the Boxster in the 981. Wwith the E85/86 Z4 it was an easy decision for me - Coupe.

Unfortunately only had one COupe and that was in the showroom and couldn't get a decent look.

A few boxster pics including a side view and rear quarter showing the quality soft top (no bar shapes beneath - less pram lid looking :) ). The grey pics are of a GTS and the interior pic shows the same car - with some nice carbon bits.
Loved the look of this blue one in the showroom

Current 2011 X1 2.0d xDrive
2006 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos with Light Sepang interior - GONE 08/2012 - PY56 GH* - where now?
2006 Z4 Si Coupe - Montego blue - GONE approx 05/2009 - WJ56 YU* - where now?

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 981 Boxster

Post by DPG » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:37 pm

They are nice cars. Would love one some day.

Are you buying now one or waiting for the price to come down?

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:39 pm

The grey one is a GTS but not a fan of the turbo alloys

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Stark wrote:The grey one is a GTS but not a fan of the turbo alloys

Agree Stark - love the car hate those alloys. Look like pram wheels.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

The wheels are awful- they look like they have curb rash on them already by design! :thumbsdown:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Darren M

Post by Darren M » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

DPG wrote:They are nice cars. Would love one some day.

Are you buying now one or waiting for the price to come down?
Not sure, definately either the Boxster or Cayman I would consider used in the future. The interior quality is very good. Even with the stock Alu it looks nice but oh the carbon is also nice.

I have never bought a new car before and have been considering a base Cayman for a while as an option to keep for 10+ years - a special treat (if you're gonna buy a new car do it properly :) ). However there will be that question - should I have gone for the next engine power up :) ? However I think I would settle for the base mode - I don't care for outright straight line performance so much now. It's still a lot of £ however for a car! :) - think I managed to get to £50k with the options I selected including PDK, active suspehsion, sports exhaust for the crackle on downshifts none of which entirely necessary.

Stark wrote:The grey one is a GTS but not a fan of the turbo alloys
Me either! Like the wheels onthe white one but in silver please - not black
2006 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos with Light Sepang interior - GONE 08/2012 - PY56 GH* - where now?

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Darren M wrote:
Not sure, definately either the Boxster or Cayman I would consider used in the future. The interior quality is very good. Even with the stock Alu it looks nice but oh the carbon is also nice.

I have never bought a new car before and have been considering a base Cayman for a while as an option to keep for 10+ years - a special treat (if you're gonna buy a new car do it properly :) ). However there will be that question - should I have gone for the next engine power up :) ? However I think I would settle for the base mode - I don't care for outright straight line performance so much now. It's still a lot of £ however for a car! :) (think I managed to get to £50k with the options I selected - PDK, active suspehsion none of which entirely necessary.
Same with me, I could probably get into a used 2.7 this year but (like I did with the Zed) will always be pining after the 'full fat' version.

Darren M

Post by Darren M » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm

DPG wrote:
Same with me, I could probably get into a used 2.7 this year but (like I did with the Zed) will always be pining after the 'full fat' version.
Some prefer the base model of any sports car as they provide a very high % of what the top of the range car does - depends on how you think. Some also go poverty spec which is something I usually do but if I bought one new I'd be so tempted to add extra's - there's so much available especially as options on these. The options I think I would now have to have are PDK, active suspension, better seats than the base ones for better support and the LSD system oh and the sports exhaust and probably at least not the base wheels.
Last edited by Darren M on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:42 pm

The 981 is infinitely better looking than the old models which I really did not like.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Darren M

Post by Darren M » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 pm

pvr wrote:The 981 is infinitely better looking than the old models which I really did not like.
Yep, both exterior and interior. I never liked the previous models either other than the Cayman R of the last gen but interior still looked crap.

What I also like about the latest 981's is the weight loss - they're not getting heavier. It's somethign BMW have finally done with the latest M3/M4 (lighter than the previous gen). The 981 Cayman I think is 40% aluminium now. Not a massive amount lighter than the previous model but at least not getting bloated. Think they're the best part of 180kg lighter than a z4 m if I remember correctly. (1320 vs 1495).

Will try to pop back soon to look around both and test drive but if I do decide to go for a new one, which I doubt, I don't think it would be this year partly as I'd rather wait for the model to mature a bit more and try to pick one up before the predicted end of an era for Porsche too (normally aspirated cayman/boxster). Having said that I think I will want if I take one for a drive !