Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My New Project - E36 M3 Evo Touring

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:30 pm

So, just over 14 months since I sold the Z4m, I am still very much in the MPower fold.

As a few of you know, I flogged my Z to get into an M4 (plus I no longer had room for a weekend car), well having just a single car didn't satisfy me (really underwhelmed by the M4 also) and a couple of months ago I found myself impulse purchasing a E36 328i Touring which had been converted to an Estoril blue M3 Evo.

It's had a full conversion, S50B32, Evo gearbox, brakes, suspension, LSD, ECU, steering rack, interior, exhaust etc.

A really fun car and something a little unusual....pics:

A a shameless M4 in the Lakes:

Anyway, I'm going to be track preparing the E36 and have it booked in for suspension upgrades early October.

He'll be having some BC Racing RM Series Inverted Damper coilovers fitted along with:

Meyle HD front control arms (pair)
Meyle HD toe rod assemblies (pair)
Powerflex Black Series offset front control arm bushings
Powerflex adjustable lower arms
Powerflex rear trailing arm bushes

Once these are done I'll be sorting brakes and then focusing on the interior / weight reduction.

Engine wise he's already had ARP Con Rod Bolts fitted and had a recent Inspection 2 and valve clearances done. Will look to replace the bearing shells soon enough and am looking forward to getting onto track.

Ah, also sourced some genuine LTW wheels which I'm picking up next week....good way to lower rotational mass :thumbsup:

Anyway, this is still the friendliest forum I've come across so thought you might be interested in my current project.

I'll be on here to update, but if anybody wants to follow it more closely, I'm uploading quite alot onto my Instagram..

dangerbryan101 (don't ask!)

EDIT: We've also fitted ACS short shift kit and DTM style backbox / pipes.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Good work sir :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 pm

That looks absolutely fantastic, and I've no doubt is a lot of fun. I've always been a fan of overpowered estates, if they had made an E46 M3 version I would most definitely have to have one. http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/04/01/never ... 3-touring/
Interested to hear your thoughts on the M4. I drove one briefly and spent some time in on track, and other than it being very impressively fast I really wasn't that taken by it. :?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Looks like a really cool project! This wasn't by any chance on car throttle the other day? I'm convinced it's the same car... Definitely keep this thread updated as you go through, I'd be really interested!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Welcome back... nice toy!

I'm currently in the process of sourcing a track car with a friend in a similar vain. Can't bring myself to go beyond the point of no return with the Zed, nor sell it :D Torn between going super cheap and getting into some racing for a few grand, or going balls deep and trying for an e46 m3 i can go full CSL on.

What's the end goal, some sort of racing/track series?
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Looks a beauty does that!
Surname must be Conley, surely??
Hope it all works out...why are you underwhelmed by the M4?
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Mmmm, fast estates tick my petrolhead box! Vey nice :thumbsup:
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 am

Ed Doe wrote:Looks like a really cool project! This wasn't by any chance on car throttle the other day? I'm convinced it's the same car... Definitely keep this thread updated as you go through, I'd be really interested!
It was indeed on Car Throttle, Alex got very excited by the prospect of an Estoril M3 Touring and just couldn't resist. Once I've got the suspension sorted we'll hopefully be doing some rolling shots and a driving comparison.
jimmybell wrote:Welcome back... nice toy!

I'm currently in the process of sourcing a track car with a friend in a similar vain. Can't bring myself to go beyond the point of no return with the Zed, nor sell it :D Torn between going super cheap and getting into some racing for a few grand, or going balls deep and trying for an e46 m3 i can go full CSL on.

What's the end goal, some sort of racing/track series?
Go super cheap! I was very tempted by the idea of an E30 325, would be a pretty cool track toy and plenty you could do with it. I only went with the E36 as it was owned previously (and very well looked after) by a friend of a friend.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:57 am

I was also papped driving back from collecting him:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/aj869e ... xt=5027138

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:00 pm

In terms of the M4, it is gut wrenchingly fast, but it feels so electronic it's almost numb.

Zero feedback from the steering wheel, the damping is horribly uncompliant and is generally very jittery on uneven surfaces. Stock damping is also fairly poor and makes it very easy for the M4 to break traction, it's very difficult to get the power down quite often. The driving position is OK, but doesn't feel that 'special' (very unlike the Z4). It generally feels more like a rep's car who wants a bit of top trump boasting / the ability to amaze colleagues and friends on a dual carriageway than a real driver's car.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 pm

A little update on this.

I've fitted the LTW wheels and the BC Racing coilovers as well as getting the old girl poly bushed.

Very happy with the initial drives, although being the depths of winter, running time has been a bit limited. Looking forward to March for a brake upgrade and then some preliminary track runs.

She spent most of October / November with Mark down at MJF Engineering in Dorking. Quite a bit of rear arch rust, which Mark has sorted out for me. A lot of new metal went in, but at almost 20 years young, a bit of TLC is going to be needed.

Will hopefully have some more interesting updates / videos in March.

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:27 pm

An old friend of mine had one like that a few years ago , I've never understood why BMW didn't build them in the factory . There's a very dark green one , or maybe black , drifts its way around the ring .

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Nice very nice.

Keep us posted as its a very interesting car.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Interesting project,

Not sure how I missed this before.

Do you have some pictures with the new wheels/coilovers fitted?

How are you finding the car compared to the Z4?

Ash
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Very nice! I'm an e36 fan, owned 2 coupes, although sadly never an m3, really regret not buying an m3 GT I was offered for about £9k back in 2010! Idiot! Rear arch rust, definitely an e36 then! I'll be watching this with interest.
Great sleeper for shocking people at the lights.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport