Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First M140i Review

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
buzyg
Legend
Legend

First M140i Review

Post by buzyg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm

InvisibleName wrote:My M140i has finally arrived at the dealers today! Went down there this afternoon to drive it to my detailer for Gtechniq full treatment. Should get it back on Wednesday morning then, sadly, I'll be saying goodbye to the Z4 :(

But I can't wait to have that fantastic straight six under the control of my right foot :D
Smile time. :D :thumbsup:

InvisibleName

First M140i Review

Post by InvisibleName » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:35 am

Johnh1976 wrote:
InvisibleName wrote:My M140i has finally arrived at the dealers today! Went down there this afternoon to drive it to my detailer for Gtechniq full treatment. Should get it back on Wednesday morning then, sadly, I'll be saying goodbye to the Z4 :(

But I can't wait to have that fantastic straight six under the control of my right foot :D
I went from the Z to the M140 albeit with a sunroof :wink: it's a beast which is incredible value for money and ticks so many boxes. You will love it!
Yep, I spec' the sunroof, couldn't leave open-air driving completely!
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am

Get some pics up, weather permitting :cry:

I haven't driven mine since October :oops: think its only got 200 miles on the clock, looking forward to the better weather and realeasing it from its dust sheet :)

I'm mulling over the performance exhaust with carbon tips in the spring, just unsure on the loudness :?

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by ronk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:34 pm

TitanTim wrote:Get some pics up, weather permitting :cry:

I haven't driven mine since October :oops: think its only got 200 miles on the clock, looking forward to the better weather and realeasing it from its dust sheet :)

I'm mulling over the performance exhaust with carbon tips in the spring, just unsure on the loudness :?

Tim.
Just picked up this post Tim - 200miles ?
What on earth have you been doing? Please don't tell me reading the manual! :D
I collected the 35is late September and managed to get 1000 or more of good miles pre hibernation time at the end of October!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:03 pm

ronk wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Get some pics up, weather permitting :cry:

Tim.
Just picked up this post Tim - 200miles ?
What on earth have you been doing? Please don't tell me reading the manual! :D
I collected the 35is late September and managed to get 1000 or more of good miles pre hibernation time at the end of October!
:lol: They don't come with a manual anymore, but I must check the glovebox, its all on the idrive now which is handy when your bombing along :?

Think I only had the car a few weeks before it went under cover for winter so really didn't put much mileage on, correction I didn't put any one, still should hopefully be run in by next winter :)

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by ronk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Mrs K s 335 came with a Book and the Info on idrive - e info is ok but you feel like like a prize tit sitting in the car on a cold winters evening!
It wouldn't be quite so bad if the BMW guru did the setting up in the showroom, My 35is was handed over without the connected drive working - all I got was an overview of the controls and if I hadn't had an E89 before it wouldn't have been enough.

Give me the book and access to this forum! :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

First M140i Review

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:24 pm

With the Carly app you can code quite a few nice features, which my son has done now as well. If you get creaking near the doors (they all seem to do that), you need to de-grease the rubbers around the doors. They sell the BMW de-greaser bottle which works well and stops all creaks (same for sunroof).
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 pm

pvr wrote:With the Carly app you can code quite a few nice features, which my son has done now as well. If you get creaking near the doors (they all seem to do that), you need to de-grease the rubbers around the doors. They sell the BMW de-greaser bottle which works well and stops all creaks (same for sunroof).
Might try the Carly App pvr so thanks for that :) I've heard about the creaking rubbers but not noticed it being a problem on the 3 door, fingers crossed.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 pm

ronk wrote:Mrs K s 335 came with a Book and the Info on idrive - e info is ok but you feel like like a prize tit sitting in the car on a cold winters evening!
It wouldn't be quite so bad if the BMW guru did the setting up in the showroom, My 35is was handed over without the connected drive working - all I got was an overview of the controls and if I hadn't had an E89 before it wouldn't have been enough.

Give me the book and access to this forum! :thumbsup:
All the sales lady did with me was pair my phone and that was about it and running off in a panic to find a technician as the sunroof wouldn't close when she was showing me how it worked :oops:

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

First M140i Review

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:58 pm

TitanTim wrote:
pvr wrote:With the Carly app you can code quite a few nice features, which my son has done now as well. If you get creaking near the doors (they all seem to do that), you need to de-grease the rubbers around the doors. They sell the BMW de-greaser bottle which works well and stops all creaks (same for sunroof).
Might try the Carly App pvr so thanks for that :) I've heard about the creaking rubbers but not noticed it being a problem on the 3 door, fingers crossed.

Tim.
He programmed the door mirror folding on lock, LED puddle lights on during reverse, some speedo info changes, gear indicator and some other bits that I can't remember.

I note you have the sunroof - one of the creaks came from that one, so the rubber treatment (regularly !) is required there as well ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm

pvr wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
He programmed the door mirror folding on lock, LED puddle lights on during reverse, some speedo info changes, gear indicator and some other bits that I can't remember.

I note you have the sunroof - one of the creaks came from that one, so the rubber treatment (regularly !) is required there as well ...
Thanks again, I've got some Gummi Phlege I think its called from when I had the Z4 so will give the rubbers a once over, haven't noticed any creaks from the sunroof as yet though, I wonder if maybe its more suceptible on the 5 door than the 3 due to body flex.

Tim.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:45 pm

TitanTim wrote:
pvr wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.

Thanks again, I've got some Gummi Phlege I think its called from when I had the Z4 so will give the rubbers a once over, haven't noticed any creaks from the sunroof as yet though, I wonder if maybe its more suceptible on the 5 door than the 3 due to body flex.

Tim.
Probably have to drive it to hear anything :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Nictrix wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
pvr wrote:

Tim.
Probably have to drive it to hear anything :lol:
Lets not rush things, I have the rest of my life :P

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

First M140i Review

Post by ronk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Lets not rush things, I have the rest of my life :P

Tim.
If only we knew how long that was !