Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VW UP! anyone? - Update

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Grumpyowl wrote:Have you thought about a Fiat Panda 5 door practicality or 500 for style ?
I've looked at the Panda 4x4 as liked the thought of 4 wheel drive on a small hatch, theres also the Suzuki Swift 4x4. The Pandas engine is a little weak unless you go for the Twinair but then starts to get pricey. I like the Swift as I've had 2 in the past but theres no local dealer to me anymore without a trek.

Tim.

z4pilot

VW UP! anyone?

Post by z4pilot » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:04 pm

My daughter has an Up! which is about 4 years old now. Drives well, but they do seem to have a common problem with the ABS circuitry which leads to a permanently lit warning light and a fairly expensive (£300-ish) switch/sensor replacement. This happened a couple of months out of warranty and VW were disappointingly not interested in making a contribution - despite a full service history and the previous owner being her Mum, so we could prove the car had been well kept.

Also the heat shields around the cat are literally made out of tinfoil and pull away from their fixings, leading to annoying rattles. Neither of which will be an issue with a new car under warranty, but I was disappointed with what look to be poor quality ancillaries on what I perceived would be a good quality first car.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:09 pm

TitanTim wrote:
pvr wrote:Disca had one and ruby has one. My mother in law has the high up, drives great.
Thanks PVR, I think Mike/Ruby swapped theirs for a Z3 :? will see what a drive brings, not much out there that appeals in this segment, looked at all the others 108/C1 Aygo, Adam :o Viva :lol: etc

Tim.
I still have mine (yes there was a time when we had one each :o )! Mine is a High Up! perfect for work and getting around town. Highly recommend. Funny how I've had more people looking at/in it and complimenting it in car parks than I ever did with the Zed :lol:
Its staying with me for now. If I ever fancy something quicker will borrow Mike's Z3. Only downside is the boot is small. Let us know how the test drive goes.
Gone: Interlagos Blue Z4 ///M Coupe
Remains: Red Skoda Yeti DSG Family Wagon! :o and the Hubby's Topaz Blue Z3 2.8 Facelift

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by ben g » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:48 pm

What's wrong with your 1 series? I'm sure that can be a ''city car'' too. It's not a Ferrari...
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

raymond.harper

VW UP! anyone?

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Seat and Skoda have their own versions which are a bit cheaper. The crash avoidance option costs extra. A five door car would be better than a three door car in my own humble opinion

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:35 pm

ben g wrote:What's wrong with your 1 series? I'm sure that can be a ''city car'' too. It's not a Ferrari...
Its not wrong to say this, I agree.
There are way better cars than a 140 being used all year round.
Its not hugely expensive, its not highly desirable, its not a classic, it wont rust instantly if it sees salt, and it wont die if the mileage hits 10,000.
Tim, you are the type of owner that people like me love. You spec your car up, keep it in mint condition and keep the mileage low so that people like me can get a bargain car with low miles.
Shame theres not more like you to make finding these cars easier. :)
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:41 pm

RubyBlueZ4MC wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
pvr wrote:Disca had one and ruby has one. My mother in law has the high up, drives great.
Thanks PVR, I think Mike/Ruby swapped theirs for a Z3 :? will see what a drive brings, not much out there that appeals in this segment, looked at all the others 108/C1 Aygo, Adam :o Viva :lol: etc

Tim.
I still have mine (yes there was a time when we had one each :o )! Mine is a High Up! perfect for work and getting around town. Highly recommend. Funny how I've had more people looking at/in it and complimenting it in car parks than I ever did with the Zed :lol:
Its staying with me for now. If I ever fancy something quicker will borrow Mike's Z3. Only downside is the boot is small. Let us know how the test drive goes.
Thanks Ruby, will let you know, I'm ideally looking at a High UP, was originally looking at the Beats model but the High UP doesn't cost too much more for some extra bits, heated seats etc.

I've received a few quotes via Car Wow but frustratingly it doesn't look like my local VW dealer are signed up to them :roll:

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Nictrix wrote:
ben g wrote:What's wrong with your 1 series? I'm sure that can be a ''city car'' too. It's not a Ferrari...
Its not hugely expensive, its not highly desirable, its not a classic, it wont rust instantly if it sees salt, and it wont die if the mileage hits 10,000.
Tim, you are the type of owner that people like me love. You spec your car up, keep it in mint condition and keep the mileage low so that people like me can get a bargain car with low miles.
lol, we need two cars and my better half won't drive the M140i and wants a small runabout to replace the Z3 with but I will be using it as well during the winter months.

I will be keeping the M140i indefinitely :) , main reason being and people will scoff now but I think it will be quite sought after in 10 years or so as it will be the last of its type come next year, afraid you will have to get that one owner low miler from someone else :wink:

Tim.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:00 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
lol, we need two cars and my better half won't drive the M140i and wants a small runabout to replace the Z3 with but I will be using it as well during the winter months.

I will be keeping the M140i indefinitely :) , main reason being and people will scoff now but I think it will be quite sought after in 10 years or so as it will be the last of its type come next year, afraid you will have to get that one owner low miler from someone else :wink:

Tim.
Can we place bets that you will have swapped the 140 way before your 10 year mark? :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Nictrix wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
Nictrix wrote: Its not wrong to say this, I agree.

Tim.
Can we place bets that you will have swapped the 140 way before your 10 year mark? :lol:
:lol: Depends what the Z5 will be like, if its like as Prius then no chance :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:05 pm

z4pilot wrote:My daughter has an Up! which is about 4 years old now. Drives well, but they do seem to have a common problem with the ABS circuitry which leads to a permanently lit warning light and a fairly expensive (£300-ish) switch/sensor replacement. This happened a couple of months out of warranty and VW were disappointingly not interested in making a contribution - despite a full service history and the previous owner being her Mum, so we could prove the car had been well kept.

Also the heat shields around the cat are literally made out of tinfoil and pull away from their fixings, leading to annoying rattles. Neither of which will be an issue with a new car under warranty, but I was disappointed with what look to be poor quality ancillaries on what I perceived would be a good quality first car.
Thanks for the feedback, the only real problems when searching the net seems to be noisy gearboxes but then every car has some tales of woe at some point in its life :|

Tim.

Paulr

VW UP! anyone?

Post by Paulr » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 pm

My wife's Up! Move is leased. It was just over £100 a month. PM me if that appeals as that is what I do for a living!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Paulr wrote:My wife's Up! Move is leased. It was just over £100 a month. PM me if that appeals as that is what I do for a living!
Thank you Paul, will let you know :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone? - Update

Post by TitanTim » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :) A bit of an update on the small car front, I've placed an order for a Hyundai i10 1.2 SE Premium after all that on the UP! :roll: I was pleasantly surprised with the i10 and drove very well and cruised nicely at 70. I didn't drive one back in Nov but thought I would go back to the dealer before making a decision. In the actual drive there is hardly anything to distinguish between the two cars, the UP has better steering feel but less space etc and less equipment in High UP trim compared to the i10 which comes with 5 doors as standard. Equipment on the i10 is pretty impressive for a city car which comprises of,

Keyless entry and go.
Climate.
Heated Door Mirrors.
Heated steering wheel.
Heated seats.
Integrated sat nav with Android/Apple Carplay and 7 years free subscription to weather and traffic updates.
Lane departure and front collision warning system.
Rear parking sensors.
Electric sunroof.
15" alloys with tyre pressure monitoring.
5 years warranty.

I would need to spec extra for the sunroof on the UP and I didn't like how you have to use a docking cradle for your phone and use a VW App to run the sat nav etc which seems a faff compared to the i10 where its all built in.

Only advantage with the UP is the new 3cyl TSI engine whereas the i10 uses an older 4cyl normally aspirated, its still a pretty peppy unit though.

So there we have it, its only taken me 2 years to decide :lol: plus I've found a private buyer for the Z3 whom is willing to wait until the end of March when I take delivery of the i10 which is a bonus :)

Tim.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

VW UP! anyone? - Update

Post by Grumpyowl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Congratulations on finally making a decision :poke: :wink:
Personally I think you're crackers swapping that lovely Z3 for a city car but you've obviously put plenty of thought into it.