Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Test drove a M135i today

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by tomscott » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 pm

If its a manual I think they need a short shifter when I had a go I thought the throw was really quite long.

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:30 pm

I've gone for a manual, I originally wanted an auto but decided I'll save the auto for when I get a diesel.

Trade the dog in for a smaller one :lol:
2004 3.0i **SOLD**
Current motor... ///M235i

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Mineeee

2004 3.0i **SOLD**

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Beetlegav wrote:Mineeee
Not usually a fan of black wheels but this does look really good :-)

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by DPG » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Very nice Gav

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm

greencode wrote:
Not usually a fan of black wheels but this does look really good :-)

Me either, ruins wheels imo but the car was too good to turn down just for that.... I'll probably change them eventually anyway :roll:
2004 3.0i **SOLD**

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by TitanTim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Mowflow wrote:I had a 125d and always wished I had bought an m135i. When I eventually made the switch I only lasted 6 months with the m135i. The failings were the same between the 2 cars. The steering is horribly vague, the manual box is horrible and the spring rate to damping is horribly mismatched making the car feel a bit wobbly on uneven B roads. Both were great on a motorway but looking back the 125d probably did that bit better as it was as quick, quieter, same interior etc while using half as much fuel. You will also easily find threads on babybmw regarding steering and handling where owners aren't impressed, worth reading then doing a proper test drive to explore these things.

Before these cars I had a type R and it was a vastly better driving experience. I've also just returned a leased golf R and again it's been a much better drive than the BMW. However, I do get what you mean about parts of the golf feeling cheap. The type r also felt cheap but I never cared. I now have a Cupra 290 and the same cheap golf parts are in it with a few more added, where they seem more at home (lower expectations of the brand). If the gti you tried didn't have the performance pack then I urge you to try something with the VAQ diff.

I think the argument for the BMW is it has a brilliant engine, makes a nice noise and every bit of the interior is of a good quality. Many of the competitors are better to drive and some more practical though. It just depends what matters most to the individual.
Have to say I pretty much disagree on every count, your 1 Series must have been broke :)

The electric steering feel is pretty much the norm for most cars these days, some do it better than others, the M135is rear suspension has always been slightly criticised in the past for being under damped but to be fair you have to be at the ragged edge for it to become a problem which most people will never reach, the M140is suspension has been tweaked to improve this. The Type R is too compromised to be a decent alrounder.

Tim.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Test drove a M135i today

Post by mr wilks » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Real nice that Gav :) look forward to a close up at our usual spot on Trafalgar :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 pm

mr wilks wrote:

Real nice that Gav :) look forward to a close up at our usual spot on Trafalgar :thumbsup:

Definitely! I'll have to stick a z4 badge on for our drives out... nobody would notice me hiding in the masses of z4s :D
2004 3.0i **SOLD**

Johnh1976

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Johnh1976 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Mowflow wrote:I had a 125d and always wished I had bought an m135i. When I eventually made the switch I only lasted 6 months with the m135i. The failings were the same between the 2 cars. The steering is horribly vague, the manual box is horrible and the spring rate to damping is horribly mismatched making the car feel a bit wobbly on uneven B roads. Both were great on a motorway but looking back the 125d probably did that bit better as it was as quick, quieter, same interior etc while using half as much fuel. You will also easily find threads on babybmw regarding steering and handling where owners aren't impressed, worth reading then doing a proper test drive to explore these things.

Before these cars I had a type R and it was a vastly better driving experience. I've also just returned a leased golf R and again it's been a much better drive than the BMW. However, I do get what you mean about parts of the golf feeling cheap. The type r also felt cheap but I never cared. I now have a Cupra 290 and the same cheap golf parts are in it with a few more added, where they seem more at home (lower expectations of the brand). If the gti you tried didn't have the performance pack then I urge you to try something with the VAQ diff.

I think the argument for the BMW is it has a brilliant engine, makes a nice noise and every bit of the interior is of a good quality. Many of the competitors are better to drive and some more practical though. It just depends what matters most to the individual.
Have to say I pretty much disagree on every count, your 1 Series must have been broke :)

The electric steering feel is pretty much the norm for most cars these days, some do it better than others, the M135is rear suspension has always been slightly criticised in the past for being under damped but to be fair you have to be at the ragged edge for it to become a problem which most people will never reach, the M140is suspension has been tweaked to improve this. The Type R is too compromised to be a decent alrounder.

Tim.
I agree with Tim.

Found my M135i fantastic and let's be honest it would be quicker than a 125d! They really are great cars and that's why it's the first time ever I have replaced a car with the same model. Picking my M140i up next week :D
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by TitanTim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
I agree with Tim.

Found my M135i fantastic and let's be honest it would be quicker than a 125d! They really are great cars and that's why it's the first time ever I have replaced a car with the same model. Picking my M140i up next week :D
You won't be dissapointed with the M140i John, its a fabulous motor, I did wonder if it was worth swapping the M135i for one but after a few months now its definitely an improvement over the old model, oh and the B58 engine is a peach which is no mean feat considering the N55 was already good.

Tim.

jan_tekin

Test drove a M135i today

Post by jan_tekin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Looks good, sports cat or decat will go nicely with that MPE :thumbsup:
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

Mowflow

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Mowflow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:31 am

In my defence, I'm not the only one that formed such a view.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driv ... iven/32068

"However, regardless of any secret unofficial updates, the chassis still can't match the superb engine and gearbox combo. There's a disconcerting vagueness to the steering which makes grip levels hard to gauge at both ends with suspension that struggles to keep the car composed when pushing on. The M135i pitches and floats where you really need it to settle, even with the optional adaptive dampers at their stiffest. It's just doesn't inspire an awful lot of confidence, which is frustrating given that it feels quite benign when grip does subside"

And Matt Birds response when a few owners got their knickers in a twist.

"The second is the cars introduced in that market since 2012. For me the A45 AMG feels far more composed down a British country road, the damping keeping the body movements under control far better and inspiring more confidence. Furthermore, the Golf is better tied down over bumps and undulations. The BMW just becomes a little scrappy towards the limit where those cars reach their best. And back in 2012 we didn't have those to compare it to! For much of the time it's good but the numb steering and the sense the suspension always isn't in control of the body prevents it being really enjoyable when pushing on. In my opinion, of course.

As something for everyday I think the M135i would be great because of that engine but I just think there are better driving cars in the segment now. BMW said they may spec a press car with a few of the additional M Performance parts which would be interesting to try. Then the M2 of course...."

Sutcliffe came to a very similar conclusion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCoWi_wU-oM
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Mowflow wrote:In my defence, I'm not the only one that formed such a view.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driv ... iven/32068

"However, regardless of any secret unofficial updates, the chassis still can't match the superb engine and gearbox combo. There's a disconcerting vagueness to the steering which makes grip levels hard to gauge at both ends with suspension that struggles to keep the car composed when pushing on. The M135i pitches and floats where you really need it to settle, even with the optional adaptive dampers at their stiffest. It's just doesn't inspire an awful lot of confidence, which is frustrating given that it feels quite benign when grip does subside"

And Matt Birds response when a few owners got their knickers in a twist.

"The second is the cars introduced in that market since 2012. For me the A45 AMG feels far more composed down a British country road, the damping keeping the body movements under control far better and inspiring more confidence. Furthermore, the Golf is better tied down over bumps and undulations. The BMW just becomes a little scrappy towards the limit where those cars reach their best. And back in 2012 we didn't have those to compare it to! For much of the time it's good but the numb steering and the sense the suspension always isn't in control of the body prevents it being really enjoyable when pushing on. In my opinion, of course.

As something for everyday I think the M135i would be great because of that engine but I just think there are better driving cars in the segment now. BMW said they may spec a press car with a few of the additional M Performance parts which would be interesting to try. Then the M2 of course...."

Sutcliffe came to a very similar conclusion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCoWi_wU-oM
Interesting. Well I didn't end up buying the m135i, because they sold it the very next day! So, I'm looking into other options now. I'm looking at spending around £20k on a used vehicle, no older than 3 years old but seem pretty limited in what's out there. You mentioned there are better driving cars in that segment now - what would they be?

I did think I would like the Golf GTi when I test-drove that but was so disappointed in the quality of it. Yes, the drive was nice but the interior and plastics just felt terrible - not what I was expecting. Also, I quite fancied one with a built in sat-nav but the one in the Golf is in such a ridiculous position, I wouldn't even class that as being safe.

Mowflow

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Mowflow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Well looking at your requirements of less than 3yo and £20k max I don't actually think there are any alternatives since you didn't like the golf in terms of interior quality. The only things better in that regard are the a45 which is way over budget and the s3 which again will probably be over budget and not necessarily better in terms of drive.

When I said alternatives I really meant within the C segment. Considering drive alone the Golf, facelift a45, facelift S3, type r, cupra, focus RS and of course the megane all offer a bit more satisfaction in factory form. Some of them, such as the megane are a bit too 1 dimensional in that they want to be driven like hooligans all the time. That can get very old very quick. The BMW is really at the opposite end of the spectrum. Fast for disposing of the odd chav buzz bomb but I found it just didn't respond well to what most would call "a hoon" it felt at home charging along a motorway or dual carriageway.

You could look at alternative specd gtis. It's amazing what the upgraded nav and a bit of leather can do. Admittedly, if you're the type of person that goes about tapping foot level plastics you will be disappointed and the climate control dials are abysmal but everything else ie steering wheel, stalks, door controls etc were all on a par or in a few cases slightly better than the BMW I felt. A well specd performance pack gti is definitely worth a look if the one you looked at was a low spec.

The only other thing that might be worth looking at is an Audi S1. Bare with me. I know it's a fair bit smaller but Gti engine, 4wd, Audi interior, good reviews. A mate recently sold his DB9 and bought one as a stop gap and he absolutely loves the thing.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi