Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Test drove a M135i today

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Mowflow wrote:Well looking at your requirements of less than 3yo and £20k max I don't actually think there are any alternatives since you didn't like the golf in terms of interior quality. The only things better in that regard are the a45 which is way over budget and the s3 which again will probably be over budget and not necessarily better in terms of drive.

When I said alternatives I really meant within the C segment. Considering drive alone the Golf, facelift a45, facelift S3, type r, cupra, focus RS and of course the megane all offer a bit more satisfaction in factory form. Some of them, such as the megane are a bit too 1 dimensional in that they want to be driven like hooligans all the time. That can get very old very quick. The BMW is really at the opposite end of the spectrum. Fast for disposing of the odd chav buzz bomb but I found it just didn't respond well to what most would call "a hoon" it felt at home charging along a motorway or dual carriageway.

You could look at alternative specd gtis. It's amazing what the upgraded nav and a bit of leather can do. Admittedly, if you're the type of person that goes about tapping foot level plastics you will be disappointed and the climate control dials are abysmal but everything else ie steering wheel, stalks, door controls etc were all on a par or in a few cases slightly better than the BMW I felt. A well specd performance pack gti is definitely worth a look if the one you looked at was a low spec.

The only other thing that might be worth looking at is an Audi S1. Bare with me. I know it's a fair bit smaller but Gti engine, 4wd, Audi interior, good reviews. A mate recently sold his DB9 and bought one as a stop gap and he absolutely loves the thing.
Really appreciate your thoughts on all of this.

I know what you mean about the Golf i.e. leather seats, large display etc. I also think it was that I'd driven the BMW first and I found the quality of the interior very nice indeed and so then going to fabric upholstery with a small display it didn't feel as nice. I think I could do with test driving the GTi afresh and see what I think. I did like the feel of the steering and ride in the Gti i.e. I felt connected to the road and could feel the bumps in the road - something I always really like in a car. I know a lot of people prefer a really smooth ride with light steering but after having 205 GTi's and a Type R that doesn't really bother me.

Also, I know it's a bit of a different class but I was also having a look at Autotrader this morning at Polo GTi's. They seem great value so it'd be interesting to see what the ride is like in one of those. Ultimately I only drive around 4-5000 miles a year so I'm after a fun car but that has a few little gadgets that I can play with :D

Johnh1976

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Johnh1976 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:56 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Johnh1976 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
Have to say I pretty much disagree on every count, your 1 Series must have been broke :)

The electric steering feel is pretty much the norm for most cars these days, some do it better than others, the M135is rear suspension has always been slightly criticised in the past for being under damped but to be fair you have to be at the ragged edge for it to become a problem which most people will never reach, the M140is suspension has been tweaked to improve this. The Type R is too compromised to be a decent alrounder.

Tim.
I agree with Tim.

Found my M135i fantastic and let's be honest it would be quicker than a 125d! They really are great cars and that's why it's the first time ever I have replaced a car with the same model. Picking my M140i up next week :D
You won't be dissapointed with the M140i John, its a fabulous motor, I did wonder if it was worth swapping the M135i for one but after a few months now its definitely an improvement over the old model, oh and the B58 engine is a peach which is no mean feat considering the N55 was already good.

Tim.
Picked up car on Monday Tim and considering my last M135i was pre lci the difference is noticeable. The weather has been rubbish obviously but it seems to handle better and inspires confidence whilst pushing on. The new engine is as you describe! I so love these cars :D comfortable or crazy the driver decides. Bloody genius if you ask me.
Attachments
IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG (95.77 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by TitanTim » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 pm

Looks great John :thumbsup: You went for the sunroof which I did as well which I find helps lighten up the interior a tad, I really like the look of it in white.

Enjoy the running in :lol: its hard not to stray over 4500 :)

I'm looking to place an order for a Hyundai i10 soon to run alongside the M140i :lol: should be interesting going from 300+ horses to 86, or dangerous :o

I might plump for white in a vain attempt to make it look sporty :)

Imagecapture screen

Tim.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by enzed4 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 am

Beetlegav wrote:Just bought an m235i :driving:

Anybody want to buy my z4?
Nice, mate :thumbsup: . My wife points out your posts on Instagram (where she first found the purple Z4 that she loves) and showed me the new M235i when you posted there.
Sweet ride.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:19 pm

enzed4 wrote:
Beetlegav wrote:Just bought an m235i :driving:

Anybody want to buy my z4?
Nice, mate :thumbsup: . My wife points out your posts on Instagram (where she first found the purple Z4 that she loves) and showed me the new M235i when you posted there.
Sweet ride.
:D thank you buddy!
The purple Z4 will be up for sale pretty soon :cry: Time to move it on after 4 great years, so excited for the new motor though
2004 3.0i **SOLD**
Current motor... ///M235i