Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

188mph

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

188mph

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 am

Could probably hold that speed all day today if you wanted it to. Or at least for the 20 minutes it would take to empty the tank :D
Wish I'd have bought that CSi all those years ago for the Europe commutes. Hey ho.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Jaw

188mph

Post by Jaw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 am

such a boyhood love for the 850's. My dad's mate bought one brand new and took me for a spin when I was about 7, fell in love with it.

Dunno how comfortable I'd feel doing 300 in one :? have done circa 180 indicated on a bike and 170 in my soarer on the 'bhan and the world goes past waaaay too quickly at those speeds!
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Paulr

188mph

Post by Paulr » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 pm

That is 3 miles a minute! Don't know about any one else but that made my palms sweat.

All OK until some numpty thrashing his Astra pulls out doing ton in front of you and you have 88 miles an hour to shed quickly!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

188mph

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Fastest I've ever been in any car was 165mph in my E46 M3 from where the A12 turns into the 3 at the dutch border between holland and germany. de-restricted all the way down to Wesel. But it can and usually does get busy at any time of the day so you always have to factor that in on quiet stretches.
Regularly used to cruise at 140mph in my trusty old E36 coupe and still return about 30mpg.
I almost plumped for an 840CSi years ago but realised it would have just turned into a moneypit if used as a DD.
Swings n roundabouts.
edit: ironically, the 165mph wasnt achievable on the Dottinger at the 'ring as the straight just wasnt long enough. think i only managed 155/160 there.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

188mph

Post by ronk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Paulr wrote:That is 3 miles a minute! Don't know about any one else but that made my palms sweat.

All OK until some numpty thrashing his Astra pulls out doing ton in front of you and you have 88 miles an hour to shed quickly!

In general they do seem to be more lane disciplined in Germany.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

188mph

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm

ronk wrote:
Paulr wrote:That is 3 miles a minute! Don't know about any one else but that made my palms sweat.

Hate to disagree but there are are LOT of muppets there too.
Golden rule: never take it for granted that some muppet is not just going to pull out in front of you when ur at full chat... :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

188mph

Post by buzyg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Looked a bit boring, if i'm honest. Love the 850i though. Beautiful shape. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

188mph

Post by ronk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Chris_D wrote:
ronk wrote:

Hate to disagree but there are are LOT of muppets there too.
Golden rule: never take it for granted that some muppet is not just going to pull out in front of you when ur at full chat... :thumbsup:
Hence the " in general " comment !
I do think that lane discipline is much better and certainly they don't barge on at slip roads then crawl at 60
I agree with you when you say never take it for granted that somebody won't pull out - anytime I've been at a decent speed on the Autobahn it's when there's been nothing in the inside lane - even then it's always been governed by my wife!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: