Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My motors over 32 years

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by tomscott » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 am

you past your test 6 years before i was born :rofl:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:00 am

Passed my test in Feb 1966
Hand signals were still used - but the fella with the red flag had gone by then!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My motors over 32 years

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 am

tomscott wrote:you past your test 6 years before i was born :rofl:
Thanks for that :P It's so nice to be reminded I'm heading (rapidly) towards "end of life". :cry:

Then again I know I "passed" my test before you were born, even if I am now "past" it....... :rofl:

Progress in action - I'm guessing (hoping) you didn't graduate in English! :lol: :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 am

People often get things wrong but try explaining 'Discussed' and 'Disgust' to a native speaker of another language.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
Thanks for that :P It's so nice to be reminded I'm heading (rapidly) towards "end of life". :cry:

Then again I know I "passed" my test before you were born, even if I am now "past" it....... :rofl:

Progress in action - I'm guessing (hoping) you didn't graduate in English! :lol: :thumbsup:
Touche :lol:

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by tomscott » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:36 am

Mr Tidy wrote:

I'm only joking around :P

I graduated in Design and most of us are dyslexic/illiterate :rofl:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by Marlon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Mine, I think I've covered them all - a right mixed bag:

Rover TC 200
I passed my test in this car, given to me by my dad

Triumph TR7
First car I bought, big change from the 2 tonne Rover – loved the car, not so much the rust :(

Ford Sierra
Family time, so sensible 5 door hatchback required - this was an ex taxi, probably the worst car I've owned.

Vauxhall Cavalier SRi
Another 5 door hatch, but with a little more style and power :evil:

Rover 600
Inherited from my dad, never felt it was right for me though - big wallowy underpowered car, although it looked quite good.

Vauxhall Astra GTE
Two car family now so I could indulge a little – felt like lightening in a straight line, cornering was a different matter :cry:

BMW 318i E46
My first 'proper' car IMO, on 98k when I bought it drove tight as a drum and apart form the water pump failing it served us well - had style too.

Ford Mondeo ST TDCi
Back to the 5 door hatch, however this was rather quick – had it remapped to 165bhp, my first turbo experience and I liked it a lot :driving:

Audi A4 2.0T FSI s line
I loved this car, very rapid pushing out 220 bhp. Solid as a rock, saloon not hatchback so not as practical and averaged only 26mpg, but my favourite car apart from the Zed.

Hyundai i30
Practical decision due to Audi’s petrol thirst, but I still regret trading the Audi :(

BMW Z4 3.0 Si
:) :driving:
Last edited by Marlon on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by tomscott » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Mine is a fairly short history

Passed my test on Dec 10th 2005

2002 52 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
My dad bought me this for my 17th. At the time it was 16v and was quite a pokey little thing and had a 5 star safety! Think it was 3 years old 20k and about £2500. Loved it although I used to rag it so hard that it would overheat and would go into limp mode.

2007 57 Mini Cooper
First car I got myself. It got me hooked on the minis. Looked awesome with its viper stripes and contrasting blue leather really loved the pokey little 1.6 too.

2006 320SI
Bought this in 2009 had 30k on. Always wanted an M3 but at 21 I was struggling with insurance so I bought this instead as it was the closest thing. The 320SI was limited-run homologation special of the world touring car. 2600 were made worldwide, and only 500 will be coming to the UK. It was a complete pain in the ass, the engine revved higher and sat at 4500rpm at 70mph had 0 power having about 170hp but averaged between 22-26mpg even on the motorway. Really had to push it up to red line to get any power out of it. Was a lovely looking car in carbon black and the motorsport wheels.

ImageBMW 320SI, Kirkston Pass, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Ran these two together for about 2 1/2 years.

2011 Mini Cooper S
Bought this brand new traded in the other mini. Absolutely loved it and the twin scroll turbo was such a fun car to drive, had the black pack on it which I thought was cool to start with but quickly disliked it. The wheels being black were a pain to keep clean and they dissolved into the car although a nice shape. Made a bit of a mistake not getting the anthracite headlining, it was cream as standard and the rest of the car had black accents.

2011 BMW Z4M
Got really fed up of the 320SI by now the mini was quicker and twice as frugal. I really wanted an M3 but the insurance was about £2000 and always like the M coupe so did a quick quote and it turned out about £850 the same as my 320. Basically trading to the M it had twice the power was a proper M car same insurance and MPG amazing upgrade. They had one at my local dealers and that was that done. Amazing value for money £17,500 with a 2 year warranty and 46k.

Dealer pics

This image probably sums up my feelings of the M. Absolutely loved it and have many great memories. Also got me into meets and the forum.

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Ulswater Boat house, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Only pic I have of the mini and M in the same frame.

2014 Mini Cooper S
Swapped the previous car for the newer one. As a car its great quick, comfy, bigger and the gear is amazing speced everything on this apart from the panoramic roof. But the car is poor, within 12k it had 2 engines 2 gearboxes and its a constant worry. Thing is I bought this and then decided to go traveling after about 1500 miles so my mum kindly took it off me and is now hers. It was well run in and as per guidelines treated very well and my mum just drives round town in it really no stupid red lining etc. Apparently there was a problem with them from 2014-early 2015. It was one of the first off the production line so I suppose its the risk you take. Anyway this will be traded in in march but not sure what mum will get next.

Went traveling in Nov 2014 South American and North America for 6 months then Africa and South East Asia for 5 months so sold the Z in September of 2014. Got home and moved from Cumbria to Manchester.

13 1.5DCI clio
Bit of a change but now driving the GFs clio which she bought new. Although it has no power it is well equipped and its really weird never put diesel in it. Does av 80-100mpg and have done about 12000 miles since returning home in June!

2005 Porsche Boxster S
Bought this about 6 weeks ago but after 1000 miles dreaded piston slap started and it made a hell of a noise so it went back to the dealer and got my money back... Shame as it was a lovely car.

So technically been without a car for 2 1/2 years now and its the worst feeling in the world being a petrol head! Don't wish it on anyone :rofl:
That's me 11 years of motoring. Currently searching for the next steed.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by Marlon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 pm

I really enjoyed that Tom - pity about the Boxster S, looked like a lovely example
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

My motors over 32 years

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for ther pics Tom, some lovely motors :)

The quality of my pics aren't great as some were taken with a Box Brownie :?

Past my test in 1982 but only just as I nearly mowed down some poor sole on a pedestrian crossing, too much speed :) but scored well on the emergency braking :lol:

The car I lusted after then was the Opel Manta GTE in white, seemed all the rage then as the car to have but was out of my budget. In fact I've just remembered my first motor was a 1.2 Toyota Starlet in kermit green bought for £2400, don't think I have any pics of it. Only had it 12 months as I ended up dragging the Toyota dealership through the small claims court and got assulted in court by the salesman :lol: Won my case though then sold the car :)

Tim.