Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Terrible i8

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Zed Five

Terrible i8

Post by Zed Five » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/BMW-i/1.5/Der ... c=se_na_re_

I'm still looking at these.... .. but not this one. Agggghhh! :o
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Terrible i8

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Zed Five wrote:http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/BMW-i/1.5/Der ... c=se_na_re_

Wish I hadn't followed that link... my eyes may never recover...

OTOH, having sat in an i8, I don't think I'd ever have one - the cills are so high, there's no particularly graceful way of getting in & out... out being especially awkward
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Zed Five

Terrible i8

Post by Zed Five » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:05 pm

PerryGunn wrote:

OTOH, having sat in an i8, I don't think I'd ever have one - the cills are so high, there's no particularly graceful way of getting in & out... out being especially awkward
I know what you mean, but there's just not much around that floats my boat at the moment. I will probably sit it out to see what the z5 is like, but i8 prices are dropping to tempting money and the silver ones are quite nice.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Terrible i8

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Zed Five wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:

I know what you mean, but there's just not much around that floats my boat at the moment. I will probably sit it out to see what the z5 is like, but i8 prices are dropping to tempting money and the silver ones are quite nice.
You'll probably be able to put up with it if you really like the car, but the wife/girlfriend will never be able to wear a short skirt/dress if you take her out in it - unless she's an exhibitionist, that is...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

srhutch

Terrible i8

Post by srhutch » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Going to need an ongoing warranty as well. Bet that won't be cheap either.

Havard

Terrible i8

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 pm

I am surprised how the values are coming down. I still think they are horrible looking considering the cost.

From what I can gather, they don't handle that well either.

H.
ImageImage

pvr
Legend
Legend

Terrible i8

Post by pvr » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:50 pm

Straight line depreciation which does not seem to level anywhere soon. It was never a contender for me when new, even though it was almost the same cost as the car I finally bought.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Bing
Legend
Legend

Terrible i8

Post by Bing » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:27 pm

You should try and wangle a test drive of one, that will cure you. It's lovely inside (once you manage to get in), the toys are awesome - totally sold on the heads up display for starters. And it is staggeringly fast - in sport with 500bhp the instant torque from the electric motor(s) is breath-taking. But it lacks any sort of soul at all. You know that the engine noise is fake, and you can't 'feel' the engine - for me that killed it. It needs a V8, at least, and sadly that will never happen.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Terrible i8

Post by patriot66 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:48 pm

Oh dear ! An already very silly car made to look even more ridiculous. It's a shame ! :thumbsdown:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Terrible i8

Post by buzyg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:29 am

Says a lot about the car, that it's too sophisticated to wear a brash suit like that.

Would look great on an 918 though, much more of a boys toy :D .

dhobbs

Terrible i8

Post by dhobbs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:39 am

It's colour confused! Too messy.
Just had a look at the tyre sizes, 195 front and 215 back! Almost bicycle tyres!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

dhobbs

Terrible i8

Post by dhobbs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:40 am

Was this a footballer's car?!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Rockford

Terrible i8

Post by Rockford » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Bing wrote:You should try and wangle a test drive of one, that will cure you. It's lovely inside (once you manage to get in), the toys are awesome - totally sold on the heads up display for starters. And it is staggeringly fast - in sport with 500bhp the instant torque from the electric motor(s) is breath-taking. But it lacks any sort of soul at all. You know that the engine noise is fake, and you can't 'feel' the engine - for me that killed it. It needs a V8, at least, and sadly that will never happen.
For a start that i8 looks 'orrid in the OP link!

My old man actually owns one as a daily, I have driven it many times and am a passenger very regularly. Interior is gorgeous as you said, his is black with ivory white leather, I'd buy it alone just for that! Turns lots of heads, get comments at petrol stations, had a fair few photos taken at Good Wood FOS when we parked in the Super Car Paddock (although I did debate that it shouldn't really have been there :wink: ).

Performance is impressive but never staggering (it's only 356bhp btw, not 500bhp?). On paper and the road it is very similar to my lightly modified 35i with similar peak torque, BHP and power to weight ratios. The i8 is however in a class above in all other respects (straight line performance to one side) and handles very nicely. They've done well to get the little 1.5l 3 cyl to sound deep and meaty but ultimately its pretty clear it's a manufactured noise.

I do love the car but not sure its where my money would be at their current price.
2019 BMW M40i First Edition Frozen Orange
2014 BMW M4 DCT Yas Marina Blue

Previous Zeds:
2010 BMW Z4 35i DCT (Evolve: 360BHP)
2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i manual

Bing
Legend
Legend

Terrible i8

Post by Bing » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:04 pm

I was going off what the chap who had it - and let me drive it - said, which was obviously bollocks :lol:

That's not a lot more than my car, but it certainly felt a lot faster. Just didn't feel like a sports car. The one I drove was black with cream, I liked the look.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

raymond.harper

Terrible i8

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Image I saw its cousin last week