Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Are Aero wiper blades any good

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:38 pm

I have noticed that the wiper blades on my MR2 judder and start to lift away from the screen at higher speeds.
Just wondering if the Aero type blades work and stay more planted on the screen.
Has anyone used them ?
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:52 pm

firebobby wrote:I have noticed that the wiper blades on my MR2 judder and start to lift away from the screen at higher speeds.
Just wondering if the Aero type blades work and stay more planted on the screen.
Has anyone used them ?
Yep fred. The 'aero' design causes slightly greater downforce and helps the marketing claims of greater water dissplacement.
Deep cleaning ur windscreen with wire wool and the applying rain-x can help too.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Chris_D wrote:
firebobby wrote:I have noticed that the wiper blades on my MR2 judder and start to lift away from the screen at higher speeds.
Has anyone used them ?
Yep fred. The 'aero' design causes slightly greater downforce and helps the marketing claims of greater water dissplacement.
Deep cleaning ur windscreen with wire wool and the applying rain-x can help too.
:thumbsup:
Thank ye kindly sir, I will have a butchers at a decent set and hope they work better than the standard set :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:29 pm

I put them on the Audi, X5 and Abarth a few months back and they work very well.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:58 pm

pvr wrote:I put them on the Audi, X5 and Abarth a few months back and they work very well.
What make/brand did you buy, just looking on ebay but so many to choose from ?
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Had Bosch on my Z4 good quality but went back to OEM for looks and fit on the near side blade.

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:54 pm

I recently fitted two 20" Denso blades, the 22" was way to long for the passenger side, it was wiping the wing mirror. Best blades I've ever used. Put them on my Ford Fiasco and Van too. Cheap as chips. No flapping about, driving at 80 in the rain with no jumping or juddering and they clear the screen without smearing. Previously had the Bosch blades and the passenger side kept juddering on the way back down. None of that now.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:10 am

They definitely stay put much better than a standard blade at speed. :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:31 am

Bought Bosch ones.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks for the replies, looks like Bosch or Denso then :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:06 am

Has anyone used them ?
Stay away from wire wool Fred. I know there's many youtube vids showing that there's no damage done, but it does cause micro scratches that will flash up in the sunlight. Best to use 'Stoners invisible glass spray' to first wet the screen, then take a razor blade and fix into a holder and gently shave all the crap off the glass. Don't use a bic razor as such, you just need the flexibility of the standard old fashioned razor blade as opposed to the rigidity of a stanley blade. Once you've done that use a medium clay bar to pull out all the grime from the scratches and dinks using stoners as the lube for the claybar. Then give it a final clean with microfiber to lift off all the s**t. Now finally clean with stoners, buff with microfiber and seal with rainex or raingaurd or some other extra terrestrial nano sealant. If you're a real OCD you can polish with various grades of compounds and polishes to remove lighter scratches with a buffer. But that's more for the experienced. I generally find that the Stoners, blade, clay ,buff and rainex gets the screen clean and sealed. Denso blades all the way too.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:33 pm

DMC63 wrote:
Has anyone used them ?
Stay away from wire wool Fred. I know there's many youtube vids showing that there's no damage done, but it does cause micro scratches that will flash up in the sunlight. Best to use 'Stoners invisible glass spray' to first wet the screen, then take a razor blade and fix into a holder and gently shave all the crap off the glass. Don't use a bic razor as such, you just need the flexibility of the standard old fashioned razor blade as opposed to the rigidity of a stanley blade. Once you've done that use a medium clay bar to pull out all the grime from the scratches and dinks using stoners as the lube for the claybar. Then give it a final clean with microfiber to lift off all the s**t. Now finally clean with stoners, buff with microfiber and seal with rainex or raingaurd or some other extra terrestrial nano sealant. If you're a real OCD you can polish with various grades of compounds and polishes to remove lighter scratches with a buffer. But that's more for the experienced. I generally find that the Stoners, blade, clay ,buff and rainex gets the screen clean and sealed. Denso blades all the way too.
Thanks for the warning David, I picked up a set in Reading today and will see how they fare, just a cheap set but want to see if they lift at speed :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981