Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3 series convertible - Experience?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Punter

Post by Punter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:09 am

My mate is looking to buy a late plate 330/335 convertible. Does anyone have any experience of owning one, thoughts, buying tips (apart from the obvious stuff). Any info greatly appreciated. I'm just lucky, I don't need the extra Seats! Woo hoo!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Punter wrote:My mate is looking to buy a late plate 330/335 convertible. Does anyone have any experience of owning one, thoughts, buying tips (apart from the obvious stuff). Any info greatly appreciated. I'm just lucky, I don't need the extra Seats! Woo hoo!
"andysat" has a E93 but not sure which engine , , the 330i will be NA i assume as opposed to the 335 being a twin turbo so totally different prospects in the way performance is delivered , later ones i think were available as uprated 335is
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 pm

My ma t e has a e93 M3 convertible. Had it 6 years and he's had no problems aside from throttle actuators needed replacing. He's done 70k and its a fabulous car. Before that he had a 335I which was also an excellent car. :thumbsup:
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Have owned an e93 320d m sport for the past 4 years and although i havent put that many miles on it ive found it nothing short of exceptional.
Was looking at larger petrol engines, coming from a long line of 6 cyl bmw's but this one surprised with both the poke, economy as well as the looks. Maybe something to consider?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Chris_D wrote:Have owned an e93 320d m sport for the past 4 years and although i havent put that many miles on it ive found it nothing short of exceptional.
Was looking at larger petrol engines, coming from a long line of 6 cyl bmw's but this one surprised with both the poke, economy as well as the looks. Maybe something to consider?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Very nice looking car you have there Chris ! I am also seriously thinking of acquiring one of these as a daily driver. I fancy a 6 cylinder petrol but will take a test drive in a diesel and see how I feel. Think they look superb in a good colour and with the right rims and goodies on. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 pm

patriot66 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Have owned an e93 320d m sport for the past 4 years and although i havent put that many miles on it ive found it nothing short of exceptional.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Very nice looking car you have there Chris ! I am also seriously thinking of acquiring one of these as a daily driver. I fancy a 6 cylinder petrol but will take a test drive in a diesel and see how I feel. Think they look superb in a good colour and with the right rims and goodies on. :thumbsup:
Ta lar :thumbsup:
It doesnt have so many toys- just the stufff u need; msport suspension, aircon, nice set of alloys. Has the bluetooth prep and multifunction wheel too which is handy.
You can make me an offer if u like as I'm looking to offload it to fund a coupe purchase.. :wink:

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm

longest car i ever owned was E46 330ci convertible 5yrs should never of sold it but Ive had 4 convertible bmw's since love them. e93 are very good prices now but must be very heavy car with that roof
Attachments
IMG_4596.png
IMG_4596.png (1 MiB) Viewed 1264 times
IMG_4592.png
IMG_4592.png (841.33 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Chris_D wrote:
patriot66 wrote:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It doesnt have so many toys- just the stufff u need; msport suspension, aircon, nice set of alloys. Has the bluetooth prep and multifunction wheel too which is handy.
You can make me an offer if u like as I'm looking to offload it to fund a coupe purchase.. :wink:
Warning for future Forumites... a good 6 months or a year on here and your next meeting is with Taz as he welcomes you to the exclusive club... :P
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
patriot66 wrote:
Warning for future Forumites... a good 6 months or a year on here and your next meeting is with Taz as he welcomes you to the exclusive club... :P
Stevo
Is there a welcoming party with cake, jelly, clowns and pole dancers? :D

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Chris_D wrote:
stevo///m3 wrote:
Chris_D wrote: Ta lar :thumbsup:
Stevo
Depending on his predisposition for the particular day and how many press-ups he's done, almost anything is possible lad, as long as it's an E86, you should be good to go. I've heard he'll make exceptions and do a Dutch visit for hardcore followers... :wink:
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
stevo///m3 wrote:
Stevo
Depending on his predisposition for the particular day and how many press-ups he's done, almost anything is possible lad, as long as it's an E86, you should be good to go. I've heard he'll make exceptions and do a Dutch visit for hardcore followers... :wink:
Stevo
:lol:

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Punter wrote:My mate is looking to buy a late plate 330/335 convertible. Does anyone have any experience of owning one, thoughts, buying tips (apart from the obvious stuff). Any info greatly appreciated. I'm just lucky, I don't need the extra Seats! Woo hoo!
"andysat" has a E93 but not sure which engine , , the 330i will be NA i assume as opposed to the 335 being a twin turbo so totally different prospects in the way performance is delivered , later ones i think were available as uprated 335is
Single turbo on the 330, twin on the 335i.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Punter

Post by Punter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks guys, really helpful. Why does it always have to include pole dancers? :D

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:48 pm

VRSteve wrote:
mr wilks wrote:
no. The 330 is N/A & 335i is twin scroll single turbo on the later N55 & N54 is twin turbo on earlier cars.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:
VRSteve wrote:
mr wilks wrote:
no. The 330 is N/A & 335i is twin scroll single turbo on the later N55 & N54 is twin turbo on earlier cars.

this is correct.

There are reasons you may want the single turbo vs the twin turbos. 100% do your research here - wastegate rattle is the known 'big cost item' to fix, a friend had it and took many many many months to get BMW to fix it under warranty.

A simple google highlights issues: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... e%20rattle

Aside from that, and general BMW ownership costs (it maybe cheap now, but it wasn't when new... and servicing/maint/ownership costs are a proportion of the new value not the current value), it's a GREAT way to get lots of speed and relative luxury for not that much money. JB4 chip tune gives you a tonne more HP too, i think something like +80bhp is common for around £500 for the JB4. Traction issues follow, though.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK