Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Freelander 2

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
gov

Freelander 2

Post by gov » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:52 pm

I know it's not everyone's choice of 4x4 but I do like them - looking at this one tomorrow - saw it briefly the other day but didn't have the time to go over it closely or test drive it - spoken to the dealer on the phone and he's willing to barter - so should get it down to £10k - a good price for a 62 reg car and a good spec - love the colour ( not everyone's taste I know ) - looks good at first glance - highish miles but they do gone on for ever - with the miles I do would soon be average miles - I know a few forum members have Freelanders - what do you think ? any particular thing to look for ?

http://www.southernautocentreltd.co.uk/ ... ire-964686

Bit of change - if I buy it I'll advertise the Z - no real point in having 3 cars when there's only two of us - Mrs Gov hates the Z and loves the comfort of a 4x4 :cry:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Freelander 2

Post by buzyg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Don't do it. :o

A good friend at work sold his 350z, after 12 years of joy and now has a Freelander 2, because his wife wanted one. He hates it. I think there will be another car in their garage for the Spring.

Only buy it if you want one. :wink:

gov

Freelander 2

Post by gov » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:08 pm

okay - see where you're coming from - probably leave advertising the zed until the spring anyway - need to know what to look for with the Freelander though .

bluespit

Freelander 2

Post by bluespit » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:52 pm

I had one a few years ago and enjoyed the experience.

the ride was enjoyable, comfy and refined. Equipment was generous and the driving position was fantastic.

I didn't so much enjoy the touch screen satnav, seats, performance and economy.

do I regret the ownership- not at all, and I'd consider another if appropriate

cheers
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

LewisB

Freelander 2

Post by LewisB » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:40 pm

About 3 years ago I had my heart set on a Freelander 2. I test drove quite a few. Although I found the ride fairly comfortable, the interior felt very basic and plasticy on the whole with only the HSE hitting the mark for me. I also felt the legroom in the back was fairly minimal, for a vehicle of its size.

I then started looking at CRV's. I found I could get a decent mileage and high spec (leather seats, reversing camera, parking sensors, sat Nav etc) car for about 15% less in cost.

The CRV is still my DD and I've been very happy with it. I still want a Landrover in the future but I'm looking at the Disco instead.

For now though it's the CRV and Z4C!
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

Highlander

Freelander 2

Post by Highlander » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Our other car's a Freelander 2...had it about a year and been 100% reliable.Quite perky for a brick shaped semi-heavyweight,comfortable in HSE spec and economical....all things considered.
Would we have another one....probably,but I'm under no illusions that it's dated compared with the competitors.Big thing for me is having a trusted Landrover independant a few miles from here.

MJJamieson

Freelander 2

Post by MJJamieson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm on my second, first was a 2008 XS and this one is a 2011 Sport LE. They have very fine fuel filters and can block up on supermarket fuel, other than that completely dependable and reliable. Read reviews etc on freel2.com they have faults like any other car but touch wood I've never experienced any.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Freelander 2

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 pm

I bought a Freelander 2 as a second car for the Mrs back in October 2015. Paid £14k for a 2011 SD4 XS in Santorini Black. The SD is automatic with the 190hp version 2.2 diesel...goes like the clappers ! Average MPG is 34-37, higher on a long run/motorways which I think is ok for a 2.2 auto 4x4. Had some new seals fitted on the rear diff, transmission fault software reset done and I fitted a new drivers door lock mechanism early last year. Other than that I've done any other work/servicing myself. It drives very well and it's no slouch. The 6 speed auto shifts very smoothly. The XS has loads of toys inc. heated seats, heated screen, half alcantara/half leather upholstery, sat nav, blue tooth etc. I fitted some 19" Evoque alloys with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season tyres and a smattering of chrome bling to keep SWMBO happy ! The ride is good on good roads but can be a bit jiggly on ...er...'jiggly' surfaces. Rides better with a full tank and several people on board. Plenty of room for our 2 dogs/luggage/shopping. And I can vouch that it's a PROPER 4×4 also as I take ours off-road regularly. Not got stuck yet ! The Mrs loves it to bits and I must say it's impressed me more than I thought it would too ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Paulr

Freelander 2

Post by Paulr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:01 pm

I was surprised how small they were inside. I ended up with a Santa Fe.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.