Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Don't laugh !

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
gov

Don't laugh !

Post by gov » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Since the demise of our campervan my wife has been getting on at me to get a 4x4 and then sell my zed as we don't really need 3 vehicles ( she wants to keep the Fiesta we've had from new for pottering about as it's small and she can reverse park in it - well actually thats a lie but you get the drift ) Our eldest daughter has moved up to Hebden Bridge so we could do with something bigger and more comfortable on our trips up there - been looking at a Freelander 2 and CRV but not that impressed so much so that I have switched my search to just getting an Estate car for the room and practicality - bonus being I keep the z :D

Always been a Ford fan - set my sights on a Focus Estate 2012 or newer - can get a low mileage red one ( my fave colour ) for less than £9k - imo they look good - well built , economical and no slouch :o

Thoughts ?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Don't laugh !

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 pm

gov wrote:Since the demise of our campervan my wife has been getting on at me to get a 4x4 and then sell my zed as we don't really need 3 vehicles ( she wants to keep the Fiesta we've had from new for pottering about as it's small and she can reverse park in it - well actually thats a lie but you get the drift ) Our eldest daughter has moved up to Hebden Bridge so we could do with something bigger and more comfortable on our trips up there - been looking at a Freelander 2 and CRV but not that impressed so much so that I have switched my search to just getting an Estate car for the room and practicality - bonus being I keep the z :D

Always been a Ford fan - set my sights on a Focus Estate 2012 or newer - can get a low mileage red one ( my fave colour ) for less than £9k - imo they look good - well built , economical and no slouch :o

Thoughts ?
Agree. U dont really need a tractor unless ur going offroad, traversing snowy passes etc.
If space is the primary requirement the an estate is more than sufficient on uk roads.
Glwt search
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Don't laugh !

Post by buzyg » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Can't go wrong with a Focus. Take a look at the Mazda3 though. Lots of shared bit's and also a very good steer for the money.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Don't laugh !

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Very sensible approach OP!

When I got my first Z4 I had a 1996 Mazda 323f as a daily with only 2 previous owners and 60K miles that cost me about £700.

It was functional, cheap and practical but oh so boring!

Plus I :worshipbmw:

so after 6 months I sold it and bought an E46 325ti - a bit like a Z4 with back seats! Much more like it - still have it now 2 years on (and it was less than £2,000 so not exactly extravagant). I got a deal on this forum for a set of winters on rims and it fits the bill perfectly for doing what I can't, or don't want to, do with my Z4.

2 x Band K RFL - Man maths at it's best. :lol:

And anyway, we're only here once so might as well enjoy it! :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black