Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The 35i has gone......Now a JCW

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jaw

Post by Jaw » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:29 pm

that looks mint :)
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

obewan

Post by obewan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Nice, but...........
Your Zed was stunning
Enjoy :driving:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:04 am

I have a soft spot for the JCW Mini's ,

I drove a press one around for a weekend whilst filming some car stuff for our YouTube channel and feel in love with it, it made a cracking noise in sports mode with loads of pops and bangs and it handled really well too.

Not sure I would have one as a daily or it was special enough to be a weekend toybut I did enjoy it and had a big grin on my face at the end of the weekend :)

Enjoy the car OP as i'm sure you will :driving: :thumbsup:
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am

I absolutely love minis and had 3 of them but the most recent Cooper S was one of the first off the line of the same shape.

Its had 2 engines 2 gearboxes before 12k and when it gets hot, whistles like mad. Feels like you cant drive it the way it was designed to be. Pretty sure its a dud and is the issue with being an early adopter I suppose. Since the last engine about 6k ago it works fine but the whistling is rather annoying. It sounds like a turbo hose is loose and its only after giving it a bit of a hoon.

That said the engine is great when it works. Its a Great place to be and feels like very premium/quirky something you just cant find in any hatch in the same bracket IMO everything else is boring in comparison.

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Nice looking wee motor you enjoy :thumbsup: :driving:
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am

Very nice! We've got a Cooper S 5 door coming at the end of this month. The other half wanted a bit of practicality so we couldn't go for the JCW but I am still hanging on to the Z. But I am massively tempted to trade in the Z for a JCW, just love those things. Mine would be rebel green with a black roof and chrome wing mirrors and black bonnet stripes.
I've spent far to much time on the mini configurator!

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:46 am

tomscott wrote:I absolutely love minis and had 3 of them but the most recent Cooper S was one of the first off the line of the same shape.

Its had 2 engines 2 gearboxes before 12k and when it gets hot, whistles like mad. Feels like you cant drive it the way it was designed to be. Pretty sure its a dud and is the issue with being an early adopter I suppose. Since the last engine about 6k ago it works fine but the whistling is rather annoying. It sounds like a turbo hose is loose and its only after giving it a bit of a hoon.

That said the engine is great when it works. Its a Great place to be and feels like very premium/quirky something you just cant find in any hatch in the same bracket IMO everything else is boring in comparison.
Very curious to discover some real world Mini experience.
Actually I discovered my Zed when I was lurking around the BMW Dealership hunting for a Cooper S.
My first car was an 850 Morris Mini and I have always had a soft spot for them.
On 2 occasions while in for service for the Zed I mentioned my interest in a Mini Cooper S and the response I got was that I was crazy to trade a Zed for a Mini !
Plus when I searched for info on used Mini Coopers I was told to expect a transmission failure because they all fail ! :o
So Forum Mini Owners, don't be afraid to post your experience cause you will have an interested audience.

Cheers Bumpy

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 am

Very nice

Had the previous version Cooper S (R56) for 2 years and loved it.

You could really chuck them around.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 am

Bumpy wrote:
tomscott wrote:I absolutely love minis and had 3 of them but the most recent Cooper S was one of the first off the line of the same shape.

Very curious to discover some real world Mini experience.
Actually I discovered my Zed when I was lurking around the BMW Dealership hunting for a Cooper S.
My first car was an 850 Morris Mini and I have always had a soft spot for them.
On 2 occasions while in for service for the Zed I mentioned my interest in a Mini Cooper S and the response I got was that I was crazy to trade a Zed for a Mini !
Plus when I searched for info on used Mini Coopers I was told to expect a transmission failure because they all fail ! :o
So Forum Mini Owners, don't be afraid to post your experience cause you will have an interested audience.

Cheers Bumpy
I have in the past wrote on here about my dislike for Minis.
We had one between us for around 5 years and although they are nice little cars to run around in they are in no way special and feel very heap compared to a Z.
I will never own another one and would never dream of going from a Z to a Mini.
The interior to me is just odd, a huge speedo in the centre of the dash to make it look retro.
In our ownership we had 2 oil leaks, one was the crank seal and one we are not sure exactly but the whole front end of the car was removed to get the engine and gearbox out the car to split. The first bill was over £700 as the clutch had to be replaced also because of the oil leak.
The panoramic sunroof is noisy at speed when closed with the wind going over it and when its raised rattles over every bump. These are apparently very expensive to repair.
Had to replace both rear calipers after they seized solid, passenger door actuator that stopped working which was a nightmare to change as quite a few of the bolts that hold the doorcard on are blind and must be removed by feel only, and the engine used half a litre of oil for every thousand miles which BMW said was perfectly normal. The thermostat housing was replaced twice as they are made of plastic and glued together, when the glue gets old the housing basically splits in 2 dumping all your coolant.
And to top it off for such a small car with a 1.6 engine it would struggle to get over 40mpg.
Realistically we only had it to save some money but realistically we would have been better with a Corsa.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:39 am

I've had a Countryman Cooper S All4 now for 18 months and so far it's been an absolute pleasure to own. Had it serviced once for free on the TLC package. It's great fun to drive. The only downsides are a very harsh ride over big potholes (run flats are culprits I suspect) and slightly disappointing mpg (31.5) but mine is over 1,400kg so a normal Mini hatch will be a lot better. My OH has the new Cooper 1.5 which is a cracking little car and has a really nice interior (the speedo is now in the conventional position).

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:50 am

We had the supercharged Cooper S a few years ago which we kept for 3 years and had no problems at all
So far with the new one everything has been fine :thumbsup:
The speedo is in the traditional place now and you can have a digital read out as well
DSC01181.jpg
DSC01181.jpg (57.74 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 am

We've had our r55 Mini Cooper clubman for nearly 2 years & taken it from 16k to 30k miles, it's been practical & fun with the extra length making it pretty roomy inside.
Gets 50mpg on a run & had one replacement vanos solonoid under warranty, it uses no oil between services either.
I think it's the higher strung S model that gives more problems
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG (159.66 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG (168.15 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:42 am

For engine issues it may depend on the year.
Ours was a 2006 R56 model with the Peugeot 1.6 petrol engine.
Also ours was not an S.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Car looks great :thumbsup:

I had an F56 Cooper S for five days last summer, I thought it was excellent. Wouldn't be surprised to see myself in a JCW at some point :driving:

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Looks great :thumbsup:

Really liked my previous JCW mini even though it gave me a couple of problems in my short ownership of it.

I'd consider another again as my next car too.
Z4MC Imola red