Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New company daily driver

Discussion of other cars non-Z4

New Company Daily Driver: Which would you choose?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:05 am

Mercedes Benz C220 AMG line estate
44%
BMW 320D M Sport Touring
46%
Audi A4 S line 190 Avant
6%
VW Passat R line 190 estate
4%

Total votes: 50

sdrive35ian

New company daily driver

Post by sdrive35ian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:05 am

We are looking to condense down from 3 cars to two, so the Land Rover and Mk7 Golf are going to be replaced by an estate. These are the four I can get from my firm's list:

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Ian
[img][IMG]http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z41 ... uyixp.jpeg[/img][/image

Current Z4 sdrive35i & mk7 Golf GT. Past: 330ci, Octavia VRS, mk5 GTI x 2, mk4 V6 4motion, mk2 GTI 16v

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:13 am

If it's on the list the Skoda superb sport estate is well worth looking at , it's much bigger than any of those listed.

mattyp

New company daily driver

Post by mattyp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:18 am

320D. It's a BMW.
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

VRSteve

New company daily driver

Post by VRSteve » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 am

I replaced my D2 with a 530d touring.

Best thing I ever did and without a doubt the best car I've ever owned.
The ONLY thing it doesn't do as well as the disco is tow, but that's to be expected.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am

You're only ever going to get one majority reply on a BMW forum.
No firm idea which I'd have, but suspect the BMW.
Imho you'll already know based on an image of car, but it's about which compromises each has. Space, performance, extras, etc. And what you can best live with to your circumstances
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New company daily driver

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 am

Purley on looks it would be the Merc for me. :thumbsup: 8) Not a fan of the 3 series styling. However I have no idea how well either car drives. Have fun finding out. :wink:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Grumpyowl wrote:If it's on the list the Skoda superb sport estate is well worth looking at , it's much bigger than any of those listed.
+1
Been given one of these to use by a client for a few months and it is actually quite 'superb'.
The space inside is voluminous with the seats folded and more than adequate to ferry 2,000 rolled up paper A0-size engineering drawings at a time!
Does motorway cruising effortlessly. Theyre paying for the fuel too so I don't hold back on speed when I'm hammering up to Hamburg and back, so can't really comment on fuel efficiency.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Grumpyowl wrote:If it's on the list the Skoda superb sport estate is well worth looking at , it's much bigger than any of those listed.
+1
Been given one of these to use by a client for a few months and it is actually quite 'superb'.
The space inside is voluminous with the seats folded and more than adequate to ferry 2,000 rolled up paper A0-size engineering drawings at a time!
Does motorway cruising effortlessly. Theyre paying for the fuel too so I don't hold back on speed when I'm hammering up to Hamburg and back, so can't really comment on fuel efficiency.
:thumbsup:
Didn't want to say but I've just got one as my DD - CC and as you say it's Superb, over 50 mpg and it's only done 1200 miles so no where run in yet.
I must say I'm very impressed with it.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by TitanTim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 pm

If on the motorway alot any of them really, I can't see theres that much between them to be honest. If more A/B roads then the BMW. The Merc would be high on the list as I like their current interiors and classy look of the car but I don't think the engines if diesel are the best. I would go for the Passat or the Skoda over the Audi as its just the same car really and I'm not so keen on some of the latest Audi Interiors. But for pure driving satisfaction would still go with the BMW.

Tim.

Wyldie85

New company daily driver

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Having had a 320d and now having a Merc C300h AMG Line, I'd say stick with the BMW.

Whilst the Merc has some good strong points, the BM is more of an allrounder and ticks a lot of boxes.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Paulr

New company daily driver

Post by Paulr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Depends how big you need your estate. If you want a really usable estate car then the Volvo V70 should be on there, but the Passat will be the most usable estate out of that list. BMW is not actually called an estate as it is more an extended coupe, as is the Audi. Even the Merc has quite a sloping rear.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by tomscott » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Die hard BMW fan but the new Merc has made the 3 series feel a little old... The interior is a gorgeous place to be, the BMWs is functional but not really special and things don't feel that different from the last couple of generations. BMWs were always renowned for their sporty driving feel but in recent years they seem to have taken that personally and made the car feel a little more woolly like the Merc. They have also been criticised for the weight gain they are more like 5 series size than the compact days of old cant throw them around like you used to.

My best mate has a brand new 330D estate and had a drive of it the other week, jeese its got some power literally any gear it nearly has the V8 m3 in a straight line and is a fantastic car go up one to the 335 just insane power for a daily. I really enjoyed driving it and haven't driven the new C class but it looks very nice indeed. Every review I read the merc has the edge, just more comfy and a nicer place to be. Engine wise the BMW will take it.

If I was you I would look at an 12-18 month old car, 330Ds and 335Ds can be had with pretty much everything for 24-28k. Been watching the market as a possible new purchase and the value for money currently is stonking. Only issue there is still lots of money to be lost on them.

All these dealer contributions are biting people in the arse. Take the 140i deals.... thousands will have taken that recent £333 per month with a decent spec, in 3-4 years time there will be thousands going into the used market making the price plummet. Basically the same has happened to the other model of late making used car sales really quite low, just to shift a few more cars. You may get 6-8k off but you will also loose on the trade in.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

New company daily driver

Post by sars » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Out of the four I would say you couldn't go wrong with either the Mercedes or BMW, drive them and see :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

85genius

New company daily driver

Post by 85genius » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Mercedes is by far the nicest interior really lovely place to be. doubt it is as involved a drive as the 3er but that's probably not what you are looking for inane estate anyway
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

-Tom-

New company daily driver

Post by -Tom- » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Merc , having gone over to the dark side I've considered both marqués a lot!

For me, current Merc materials and design just stand out so much more.

I had a 320d courtesy car, sure the engine was great, as was the economy but it lacked anything stand out.

I went for an E class over a 5 series (granted it was the outgoing 5 vs the brand new E) but that's what was and is out at the moment and they are worlds apart inside, and although personal taste I'm sure; i think the exterior looks more purposeful and prettier, especially in AMG drag. I'm sure the BMW "drives" better, but for me this is my daily car that I drive miles in and out of traffic. The E is VERY similar to the C, my mate had the new c250. The C definitely feels sportier to drive than mine, so I'm sure puts it in the realms of the 3er (my E is no slouch and body roll really is minimal - I love the thing!! My Z hasn't moved since Christmas apart from the odd run to warm it up only)

The only thing with the C is I "think" it has the old generation engine, certainly my mate's does and with it comes a noisier experience than the newer merc engine that's in mine.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby