Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lotus Esprit itch

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Chris_D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am

Uh ohhhh, why do I find myself looking more at Lotus Esprits on Pheads and youtube instead of the zed coupe I'd promised to get myself....? :o

I know why, it's because my dad's had an S2 ever since I was a kid and he still has it and he's sort of promised it to me to look after when he 'pops his clogs' as he puts it. :o :cry:

However, scratching an itch that's just out of reach has to be one of the most frustrating phenomenons known to man. Yes, of course I've thought about hiring a hitman or spiking his favourite tipple, Laphroaig with arsenic, but the problem with that idea is that mum will gain power of attourney over his estate and as I don't see eye to eye with her, especially in regards to his car collection, I know she will auction them off, Chasing Classic Cars-style. :x
I also know she hated that particular car as it consumed most of his spare time while he was tinkering/repairing/swearing or throwing things at it :lol: time that could have been spent focusing on her/kids/houserepairs/dog/foreign holidays. :roll: 'silly old dad and that piece of cheese' she'd mutter in discord.

What are my options then:
  • waiting for my ol fella to kick the bucket so I can inherit the S2.
    Caveat: I might go before him - I'll get mown down by a dutch farmer in a tractor while out biking this summer. 2 close calls last year - my luck has to run out some time....

Buying a more up-to-date GT V8 (nearly did before the zed came)
    Caveat: being single/no kids will be confirmed as the modus operandi for the rest of my life due to experiencing the all-consuming Esprit-maintenance phenomenon and all it entails - losing all one's spare time due to repairs, tinkering etc

Paying top whack for a fully upgraded/restored Esprit but worrying about some twonk rear-ending me and writing it off
    Caveat: well other than writing off the car will be the initial capital outlay vs useage/maintenance algorithm. i.e. is it worth it?

Forgetting the idea altogether and re-focusing on the coupe
    Caveat: that feeling of what might have been. Back to the itch.
This one looks dreamy
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

raymond.harper

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:43 am

What a strange power the Lotus brand seems to have over us. I had an 1970 Elan which I sold many years ago. Sublime driver but fragile. Lotus cars were never well built. The Europa that I had , 1969, was probably one of the worst cars ever built. It went round corners well but the quality of the materials was poor. I suspect that the Esprit would give you nothing but problems and perhaps the build quality would annoy you at the end of the day. May I suggest that you have a quiet work to your Dad and get him to change the ownership of the car over to you. I do not know your full situation but you and your siblings are entitled to one third of the estate should one of the parents dies. I would suggest anyway with care home fees that your father if indeed a care home is in the near future should start gifting away his assets now leaving him only his pension income.Long term care costs are crippling. Otherwise if his pension will not cover the care home a charge will be made against the house. Care home fees are £4000 per month. A meeting with an accountant should really be made otherwise you will be left with nothing. So do what you want. You only have one life to live and there are so many cars. Just don't buy a Lotus :D

Bluecat

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Bluecat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:55 am

Lots of trouble usually serious.....my first car was a Plus 2 S 130, I rememebr gunning it away from some lights outside a packed pub in the summer, only for the rear donut to come apart, and the driveshaft came through the fibreglass floor. Then there was the time with the earthing problem, quite common on elans. The earth strap had come loose, so when I turned the ignition on nothing. One car electrician later we discovered that the car was trying to earth itself via the throttle cable, so a nice spark against the body of the weber carbs...God I miss that car... where are you now UFC 578K. Looked at a red Esprit 25 years ago, lovely car but sooo impractical. Have you thought of an Excel Celebration??

raymond.harper

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 am

The car tried to burn you and seriously injure you and yet you miss it ! Lotus magic ! Yes I do miss mine as I remember the old days. My throttle cable melted with the same problem leaving the engine screaming at full revs.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Interesting insight into your family dynamics Chris. I’ve no advice regarding your Dad’s Lotus.
There are women who are passionate about cars – they love the aesthetics and the modifications, and are happy if you spend lots of time and money on them; they will forego holidays and expensive shopping trips to keep the car. They see sports cars like the Z4 as works of art and enjoy the experience of being driven in them. They constantly comment on how beautiful and breath-taking the car is and have opinions on the smallest details – like suggesting lowering the ride height or agreeing that the pillars will look better gloss black. Some of these rare creatures don’t even drive.
If you must live with someone then finding one of these women makes life a lot easier.
Last edited by Marlon on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Mister T

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Mister T » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Life is short, buy a mint Esprit and enjoy it while you can :thumbsup:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Chris_D, option No 5?

Poison them both???

Does Laura like cars BTW :evil:

Mike

Mad Professor

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 pm

I defintely get the Esprit itch -but the reality will be rather different
I owned what I thought was a well sorted Elan coupe which was great to look at and nice to drive but always annoyed with bits falling off and going wrong -most classic Lotus owners will i susepct tell you a similar tale of woe . So scratch the itch as long as you go into it with your eyes open -and yes I also scratched the TVR itch twice which also ended in tears ....
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

raymond.harper

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Marlon wrote:Interesting insight into your family dynamics Chris. I’ve no advice regarding your Dad’s Lotus.
There are women who are passionate about cars – they love the aesthetics and the modifications, and are happy if you spend lots of time and money on them; they will forego holidays and expensive shopping trips to keep the car. They see sports cars like the Z4 as works of art and enjoy the experience of being driven in them. They constantly comment on how beautiful and breath-taking the car is and have opinions on the smallest details – like suggesting lowering the ride height or agreeing that the pillars will look better gloss black. Some of these rare creatures don’t even drive.
If you must live with someone then finding one of these women makes life’s a lot easier.
My wife judges a car on the pasenger vanity mirror. If it has a light OK . If not sell it. So when I buy a new car never mind the service history is there a light in the mirror?

Jollyjoiner

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Do it do it :poke:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Chris_D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Marlon wrote:Interesting insight into your family dynamics Chris. I’ve no advice regarding your Dad’s Lotus.
If you must live with someone then finding one of these women makes life’s a lot easier.
You're a lucky lucky fella colin!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:12 pm

raymond.harper wrote:
My wife judges a car on the pasenger vanity mirror. If it has a light OK . If not sell it. So when I buy a new car never mind the service history is there a light in the mirror?
:rofl: classic
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Chris_D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:Chris_D, option No 5?

Poison them both???

Does Laura like cars BTW :evil:

Mike
Bwaaaahahha i can see the headline in the Liverpool Echo now mike: "Son poisons parents and disposes of bodies under patio before murdering neighbours and entire street to gain posession of old Lotus"
And yeah Lau loves the zed but i'm not allowed to floor it, cos 'she'll puke over the nice leather seats' if i do.
She's not me bird in any case. She was but we're just bezzies now. :wink:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by Chris_D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 pm

raymond.harper wrote:
Lau was EXACTLY the same - the mirror barely scraped the criteria for acceptability and I wasnt allowed to buy one without heated seats. Lol. Oh yeah and any car i bought needed adequate boot space for all her accoutrements :roll:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.27 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Lotus Esprit itch

Post by buzyg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm

You lot are far too modern far me. What ever happened to turning up with the new car you just bought and telling your other half to get in.

You actually ask first..... :? .
Last edited by buzyg on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.