Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW V12 powered Lotus Esprit

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 am

Still (stupidly perhaps) researching the possibility of Esprit ownership and came accross this.
Utterly bonkers. This guy's managed to shoehorn a BMW V12 powerplant into his Esprit. Just imagine the weight in the back compared to the titchy 4-pot it would have come with originally! If he spins it he'll end up going round like a spinning top!
Anyway, ff to around the 9.00 minute mark where he eventually manages to put his foot down for some instrument binnacle comedy shennanigans.... :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

:lol: You can just imagine it when he gets pulled over for speeding. Well officer I'm not sure how fast I was travelling. You see the speedo was face down in the foot well and I couldn't get my foot on the brake pedal. :driving: :thumbsup:

(Good effort all the same)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 am

From my memories of test driving one 'back in the day' that's pretty much the standard of fit and finish when they left the factory :D
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 pm

That noise, those terrible rattles and squeaks, the internal Fog Cannon, bits falling off, bits just about to fall off - not exactly the best fit and finish but at least it was going so it was an improvement over the factory original.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Looks like a WIP to me. Need to check his channel to see if he finished it/gave up/killed himself in it.... :o

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Judging by the smoke in the cabin at the end of the clip,it probably burnt to a crisp.......looked a bit of a bodge up to me.Seriously Chris,unless you have boundless patience,walk away from the Esprit idea with the fond memories you hold......rose tinted glasses and all that.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Highlander wrote:Judging by the smoke in the cabin at the end of the clip,it probably burnt to a crisp.......looked a bit of a bodge up to me.Seriously Chris,unless you have boundless patience,walk away from the Esprit idea with the fond memories you hold......rose tinted glasses and all that.
I thought I was imagining the smoke thing. Probably why the video ended there. :lol:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Highlander wrote:Judging by the smoke in the cabin at the end of the clip,it probably burnt to a crisp.......looked a bit of a bodge up to me.Seriously Chris,unless you have boundless patience,walk away from the Esprit idea with the fond memories you hold......rose tinted glasses and all that.
Hahah, sage advice perhaps. We'll see...... :wink:

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:58 pm

For those that don't know,a Fog Cannon is a security measure that very quickly fills an area up with impenetrable smoke. Not sure why he had one fitted, but I suspect it is because it is a half finished project. Unless it was a characteristic of the Lotus...
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.