Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Car Picked Up Today!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Only the second time I've ordered a brand new car, and the last time it was an r56 Cooper S too.
This time my other half Samantha and I are buying it as she needs a new car, and she seemed much happier about my keeping the Z coupe if we bought it together funnily enough!!

So this morning I got the train alone as Sam is recovering from a back op, to Oxford Parkway and then a taxi to BMW North Oxford where Oxford Mini are based temporarily. We ordered a Cooper S five door (Sam wanted the extra practicality) in blazing red with black roof. It's got the chilli pack, media XL, Variable Damper Control, heated seats and folding mirrors. It's a surreal experience picking out up a new car, a cross between excitement and, what have I gone and done now, dread. But I'm really chuffed with it.

The drive home was suitably relaxed and will be for quite a bit as it runs in, but instantly it feels like a good car. Nice driving position with good seats and a well sized steering wheel that's nicely trimmed. Really glad I went for the adjustable dampers, I put those on at the last minute as I was having trouble sleeping as I hadn't specced them at first.

So I drove home and had to leave for a three day work trip almost straight away so no chance to learn about all the toys as yet. Here's a few pics of her :driving:
Last edited by Zeld4 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

idej_z4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by idej_z4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Interior looks cool.

Is it a big mini? As it looks huge from the side... :scratchhead:

Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 pm

idej_jedi wrote:Interior looks cool.

Is it a big mini? As it looks huge from the side... :scratchhead:
Yes I love the interior too. I think you'd call it a big, small mini. It's the 5 door hatch which is about 6 inches in total longer than a three door hatch. Three inches in the wheel base and three inches added on to the boot. The rear three quarters to the car do look slightly ungainly but I'll get used to that.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:32 pm

That's huge. :? Side view reminds me of a Cayenne. :o Nice colour contrast :thumbsup:

BradleyB

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by BradleyB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Almost looks Q3 like to me! Lovely colour and interior :thumbsup:
'56 ///MR

Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:10 pm

buzyg wrote:That's huge. :? Side view reminds me of a Cayenne. :o Nice colour contrast :thumbsup:
Haha it can't be that big!! Must be something to do with my bad photography

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by metal licker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Very nice :thumbsup:
The forum has another new mini owner :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:37 pm

metal licker wrote:Very nice :thumbsup:
The forum has another new mini owner :)
The Mini does seem to be a top choice amongst Z4 owners. I was speaking to the guy I was dealing with at Oxford Mini today and he reckons in 18 months the JCW is going to be facelifted and given 280bhp!!!

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by gannet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

some of the new MINI's are indeed not very mini...

That said my new one is smaller than the car it replaced (DS3)...

OP - looks great :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

chapeau

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by chapeau » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

I do like a Mini.
We swapped our Countryman SD in september for an X3 as we needed a bigger boot but I couldn't fault it during the time we had it (apart from the ultra stiff ride due to runflats and sports suspension). Was sorry to see it go as it was fun to drive and had a very individual interior, you knew you were driving a Mini. Shame they have got rid of the large centre speedo in the latest models....
The new models do feel more "BMW" though as in the build quality seems better and they feel very solid cars. :driving:
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:58 am

chapeau wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am I do like a Mini.
We swapped our Countryman SD in september for an X3 as we needed a bigger boot but I couldn't fault it during the time we had it (apart from the ultra stiff ride due to runflats and sports suspension). Was sorry to see it go as it was fun to drive and had a very individual interior, you knew you were driving a Mini. Shame they have got rid of the large centre speedo in the latest models....
The new models do feel more "BMW" though as in the build quality seems better and they feel very solid cars. :driving:
I had both r53 Cooper and r56 Cooper S models and I have to say that the latest model is in a different league when it comes to refinement and interior quality. I also feel you sit a good bit higher than before but that might be my imagination. You are so right , there is something very alluring about Minis. When we were looking for a new car, before we went to a Mini dealer we drove VW Polos and looked at Golfs and Fiestas and other things and it's all so uninspiring. The interior of Fords are woeful and they are expensive for what you get and the Polo is an OAP snooze box.

Then we went to Mini and Samantha was like, I want one of these. You can't afford it I said, so we took it for a test drive any way. After that I agreed to pay half!!! Sucked in like a fool I was, but I don't care, life is too short to drive boring slow cars.

Zeld4

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Zeld4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 am

[IMG]http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... ewqe2t.png[/IMG]
Here's another pic that doesn't make it look so massive!!

Buckz

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by Buckz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:47 am

maxi more like! not a fan of the new minis to be fair! :)

I stopped liking them after the GP2 which were amazing.

chapeau

New Car Picked Up Today!

Post by chapeau » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Zeld4 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:58 am I don't care, life is too short to drive boring slow cars.
My sentiments exactly. I've always had the car i want that i can also afford (otherwise there would be a lambo on the drive :oops: ) and will always do the same.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.