Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New daily on the way : M240i

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd start a bit of a thread on this one, decided to replace the 4 series diesel for something a bit more fun!

Initially wanted a v8 m3 to keep the n/a feeling but after some driving wasn't convinced (although it did sound excellent !)

Took out an M140i later on, fantastic little car, the new engine is an absolute stonker! So took the plunge and order the same in a 2!

Obviously red...

Due end of June,will keep this updated on the progress, at the moment the only plans are springs, spacers, remap and M performance exhaust...:driving:
IMOLA Z4///MR

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am

You will love that engine, a few people I know have gone from an M3 to an M140i as its seen as a better daily driver and less hard core with little if no performance deficeit and cheaper running costs :)

Tim.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Looking forward to it Tim, really wanted to go M3 but I couldn't justify another car with 500+ road tax and after driving both back to back, performance wise there didn't seem to be much in it?
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 pm

P. S. I was hoping to keep this in the M section as I thought people might be interested in a comparison of the two cars
IMOLA Z4///MR

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:12 pm

After 8 months in the 140i I'm really happy with the car, it does everything so well but can be quite a brute when you want it to be yet if you want to just pootle around town its very docile. I sometimes think it would be nice to have something with the looks to match the performance but I find people who know their cars will still chat to you and theres less stress than when I had the E89 when leaving it parked up and that.

My only gripe is a corroding nose badge which is going white around edge of the roundell so a new one is on order.

Just a shame the car will be no more after 2018, no rear wheel drive or 6cyl so may hang onto it, I just feel it will be quite a step down no matter how good the replacement is.

Tim.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Cheers Tim sounds good 8)

Have you done any tweaks to yours? The MPE and Jb4 looks quite tempting from what I've read and YouTube...
IMOLA Z4///MR

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:41 pm

I was at the traffic light the other day and a guy in a BMW 140 nailed it away from the lights, fook me, that thing shot off like a scalded cat. Sure the 240 will be great. Look forward to the undate when you get it :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:48 pm

RedUn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm Cheers Tim sounds good 8)

Have you done any tweaks to yours? The MPE and Jb4 looks quite tempting from what I've read and YouTube...
Haven't done much as yet to be honest, I've got the BMW Performance spoiler and fins to go on the rear and tentatively looking at the MPE and quite fancy the carbon fibre tips but 800 quid as quite alot for just the sound as no real performance gains so will see. Theres a thread on babybmw for getting some exhaust tips made which I've added my name too, unfortunately the standard black factory tips are very poor quality and tend to corrode and pit after a few months. I've sealed mine and seem ok up to now but many have had them replaced a few times a year under warranty. Doubt I will look at any engine mods, just feel feel its a bit risky warranty wise, I think a new engine is 13K :o

Tim.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:30 pm

Yorkie Z wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:41 pm I was at the traffic light the other day and a guy in a BMW 140 nailed it away from the lights, fook me, that thing shot off like a scalded cat. Sure the 240 will be great. Look forward to the undate when you get it :thumbsup:
They are quick, the mid range is great on them, overtaking machine I think!

Will put a review up once it arrives in June... :tumbleweed:
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Haven't done much as yet to be honest, I've got the BMW Performance spoiler and fins to go on the rear and tentatively looking at the MPE and quite fancy the carbon fibre tips but 800 quid as quite alot for just the sound as no real performance gains so will see. Theres a thread on babybmw for getting some exhaust tips made which I've added my name too, unfortunately the standard black factory tips are very poor quality and tend to corrode and pit after a few months. I've sealed mine and seem ok up to now but many have had them replaced a few times a year under warranty. Doubt I will look at any engine mods, just feel feel its a bit risky warranty wise, I think a new engine is 13K :o

Tim.
Have you heard the MPE with a decat? Sounds good, I think that would be the way to go, get the OEM look but a bit noise?

Hmm I may polish the tips up then, I don't know how I feel about black exhaust tips, I'm one of the sad ones who sits there on a Sunday polishing them :P

You'll have to put some pics up once you get your bits fitted! One thing I have thought about is colour coding the mirrors, does the grey grow on you?
IMOLA Z4///MR

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 am

RedUn wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Tim.
Have you heard the MPE with a decat? Sounds good, I think that would be the way to go, get the OEM look but a bit noise?

Hmm I may polish the tips up then, I don't know how I feel about black exhaust tips, I'm one of the sad ones who sits there on a Sunday polishing them :P

You'll have to put some pics up once you get your bits fitted! One thing I have thought about is colour coding the mirrors, does the grey grow on you?
I've heard a few combinations with the MPE but I think a decat might be a little too loud for me and my retired neighbours :lol: I've just found out the other day that the MPE exhaust isn't type approved by BMW for the manual models only the Autos, something to do with them being worried about excessive drone on a manual at cruising speed. Still quite fancy one though as I love the carbon tips :roll:

I know alot of people find the contrasting grey mirrors a tad marmite but I really like them against the Estoril Blue, I did thing of swapping them out for the M Carbon mirrors from AutoID but I think I'll stick with grey, I just like the grey against the gloss black mirror housing :)

Tim.

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm

RedUn wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm Hi all,

Thought I'd start a bit of a thread on this one, decided to replace the 4 series diesel for something a bit more fun!

Initially wanted a v8 m3 to keep the n/a feeling but after some driving wasn't convinced (although it did sound excellent !)

Took out an M140i later on, fantastic little car, the new engine is an absolute stonker! So took the plunge and order the same in a 2!

Obviously red...

Due end of June,will keep this updated on the progress, at the moment the only plans are springs, spacers, remap and M performance exhaust...:driving:
The 3ltr twin power engine is great , I've got it in a 340 touring and had a muck around with a v8 m3 on the long straight 2 lane road between Biarritz and mont marsan last year and there was nothing in it overtaking wise , evenly matched from 50 up to 120 mph , it'll be amazing in a smaller car . Bmw were offering a factory upgrade to 360 bhp not long ago that maintains the warranty

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 am
RedUn wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Tim.

I've heard a few combinations with the MPE but I think a decat might be a little too loud for me and my retired neighbours :lol: I've just found out the other day that the MPE exhaust isn't type approved by BMW for the manual models only the Autos, something to do with them being worried about excessive drone on a manual at cruising speed. Still quite fancy one though as I love the carbon tips :roll:

I know alot of people find the contrasting grey mirrors a tad marmite but I really like them against the Estoril Blue, I did thing of swapping them out for the M Carbon mirrors from AutoID but I think I'll stick with grey, I just like the grey against the gloss black mirror housing :)

Tim.
Ah I wasn't aware of that! I'm hoping you can still buy one though? I've heard of people fitting the 135/235 MPE's as they come with the valve still? Could be worth a look? Best of both worlds? I've never actually heard one in real life mind...

I guess on a darker colour they probably suit? I'm not sure if they will look a bit ott on a red car? The carbon ones do look nice I had a nosey at them! 8)
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Paulwirral wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm
RedUn wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm Hi all,

Obviously red...

The 3ltr twin power engine is great , I've got it in a 340 touring and had a muck around with a v8 m3 on the long straight 2 lane road between Biarritz and mont marsan last year and there was nothing in it overtaking wise , evenly matched from 50 up to 120 mph , it'll be amazing in a smaller car . Bmw were offering a factory upgrade to 360 bhp not long ago that maintains the warranty
Surprising engine isn't it! I had to drive it twice after driving the v8 M3 as I couldn't quite believe how good it was! Yeah I saw that upgrade, there's a good YouTube of a car with that kit on, sounds excellent too!
IMOLA Z4///MR

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Car arrived at dealers, picking up back end of this week :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR