Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M240i F22 Brake Noises (Video and Dealership Comms)

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
twist944

Post by twist944 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am

Hi everyone and thanks for reading. I'm sure some of you may have been in similar situations so interested to hear your thoughts and advice on my next course of action.

Since purchasing my 240i (from new), back in late Oct 16, I have had on going issues with the brakes. The two issues are squeaks and a very loud creak from the front offside wheel when the brake is depressed.

Squeaks:
The squeaks are present when feather braking and also when stop start is activated (although two different types of squeak).

The squeak heard when feather braking is practically all the time on my journey to and from work sat in bumper to bumper traffic and when reversing. The type of squeak is a very high pitch squeal. This has improved since some of the works listed below but is still present on occasion - warm or cold brakes does not seem to make a difference.

The squeak heard when stop/start is activated is a little like if you were to try and drive off with your handbrake not fully disengaged or if you were to pull your handbrake up while the car is moving. The car has the automatic gearbox and I can sometimes replicate this noise when not fully releasing the foot brake in drive. This noise is more prevalent on cold mornings.

Mechanical Creak from front offside
This noise appeared following dealership works to remove the squeaks. The dealership replaced the pads and disks on all four corners. The noise is easy to replicate and seems to become worse after driving (so when the car is warm). When the car is stationary and the brake pedal is depressed, there is a loud creak audible from the offside front brakes, you can also feel a matching creak in the pedal. At first, I thought the problem was with the pedal and spent some time looking for something catching it, but then realised the noise could also be heard a lot louder outside the car.

Video of this issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwMH5T ... hCYlk/view
(please ignore the sexual innuendos - she wasn't biting :P )

Summary of reports to dealership and responses

Report 1: Squeaks from brakes when feather braking/reversing and stop/start activation
Dealership Response: No fault found, I refused to take the car back and asked them to re-investigate after demonstrating the issue again.

Report 2: Squeaks from brakes when feather braking/reversing and stop/start activation
Dealership Response: Pads and disks replaced under warranty

Report 3: Squeaks from brakes when feather braking/reversing and stop/start activation. PLUS: new issue of mechanical creak
Dealership Response: Unable to investigate squeaks until 1500 miles covered. Re-greased pads on front offside.

Report 4: Creak still present (I've given up on the squeaks for now and concentrating on the new creak)
Dealership Response: Calliper replaced

Report 5: Creak still present
Dealership Response: No fault found - the noise is 'normal' and can be replicated (although not as loud) on another car they have at the dealership.

Dealership Comms (after report 5, oldest first)

**********************************************************************************************************************************
Good Afternoon Olly,

We have now completed several tests on both M140 and M240s in order to ascertain the reported brake noise concern submitted by yourself.

Our investigation has now been concluded and can confirm the noise is normal, and not a defect.

Kindly click on the link below, which shows our showroom car displays the same noise as yours.

A video condition report has been made for vehicle registration TEST and you can view by clicking this link https://video.citnow.com/vtx1t6phs3w.

This noise is not a mechanical defect, and is not to be considered such, and no further work is required to your braking system.

I hope this now resolves your concern and restores your confidence in your M240i

Regards

xxx
Service Manager
**********************************************************************************************************************************

I responded to suggest that perhaps the car they checked also had the same fault and that it could be a manufacturing defect. I also asked for a copy of the report.

Good Afternoon Olly

Whilst I appreciate your obvious customer feedback and associated comments, our response is based on technical fact and product awareness.

I will however look to send a customer version of the technical report over to you once it is available.

For the avoidance of doubt I confirm that neither your car our test cars are faulty.

Regards

xxx
Service Manager

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

If you are having no joy with the dealer I would escalate to BMW. I have done this in the past with success.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed May 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works so to speak, but I don't get any of those sounds, creaking etc on my M140i :| Maybe if you can try another car out.

Tim.

twist944

Post by twist944 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:53 am

TitanTim wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 10:06 pm Sorry to throw a spanner in the works so to speak, but I don't get any of those sounds, creaking etc on my M140i :| Maybe if you can try another car out.

Tim.
As I thought and verified on another vehicle alread. The sales guy is more helpful than the service department and has suggested I escalate with BMW.

I just can't understand their attitude. It's 'normal'... I'm sure if they spent 10k on new central heating and it clunked they wouldn't accept it as normal. I'm not prepared to accept that a 40+k car should exhibit this type of problem.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Beetlegav

Post by Beetlegav » Sun May 21, 2017 10:56 am

I sometimes get that creak from my front too, not as severe as that though, I'll get mine looked at when it goes to lloyds for a service
2004 3.0i **SOLD**
Current motor... ///M235i

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sun May 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Can't be normal, mines never made that sort of sound.
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Blue Z4MC - now gone

twist944

Post by twist944 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 am

2dogs wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 pm Found this worth a read,
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/fro ... elp-74542/
Thanks, read it. Sounds like the same thing, although the dealership claimed to have already cleaned/re-greased and also replaced the calliper on that side. I don't recall having the issue before all the disks and pads were changed, which is another reason I can't accept their email explaining that this is factually 'normal'.

I need to pick it up with them again but i'm snowed under with work.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.