Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help re sorned vehicle.

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
sw4nny

Help re sorned vehicle.

Post by sw4nny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 am

Any help or advice on this subject appreciated.
My daughter as bought her first car a 55 plate fiesta 1.25,however she is still taking lessons and not ready for her test just yet so the car is sat on the driveway.
So as its not taxed or insured and can't be driven on the public highway what do I need to do to ensure the car will run and drive properly when the time comes ?probably be around November
Trickle charger any links to which ones would be suitable if needed.
I have never had a car of the road so even the basic advice is appreciated thanks :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

TR4man

Help re sorned vehicle.

Post by TR4man » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 am

November is only four months away and many used cars sit on dealer forecourts for longer with little issue.

I'd just keep it trickle charged and maybe once a month start it up and let it get to normal operating temperature. Possibly move it through the gears whilst stationary and operate lights, wipers etc. Is your drive long enough to drive it back and forth a few yards to prevent the brakes sticking?

Apart from that I wouldn't worry about it.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Help re sorned vehicle.

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 am

Pump tyres up to about 50lb to avoid flat spots, chock wheels leave out of gear and handbrake off, maintenance charger most on here recommend ctek I use Halfords own brand version with a charge, winter or maintenance option leave on maintenance.. Put a duster in tailpipe to stop mice getting in. That's how my cars and previous bikes sit for 6 months never had a problem.

sw4nny

Help re sorned vehicle.

Post by sw4nny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks chaps :thumbsup: and yes the driveway is long enough to drive it backwards and forwards a short way
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

domsz4

Help re sorned vehicle.

Post by domsz4 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 pm

I'd do jack all. Maybe a ctec and handbrake as suggested. Clean it inside and out thoroughly to be nice. Do an oil change and service to be nice and so you know it's all up to date.

But leave it alone. Starting and leaving idling is possibly the worse.

My westfield sits for long periods and is driven like ive stole it and is fine.

Only thing I do after a winter sorn is oil change. Check over everything charge the battery start it up with no load so no blips of throttle till I know I have oil pressure and then drive gently till warm to get fuel.

I don't even bother with the whole tyre thing. Mine are set at 17psi and I've never had a flat spot.
Proud Whip owner ;)