Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Non BMW Question

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Roscoe

Non BMW Question

Post by Roscoe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Now it seems that you guys are the 'fountain of all knowledge ' when it comes to cars , so what do you think about this please.
I have a Ford Ka (2004) and it keeps blowing both dipped beam bulbs, both are seperatly fused so it's not that, none of the other bulbs, main beam, number plate lights are affected, so I don't think it can be the alternator or voltage regulator, I have inspected the contacts of the switch and they appear ok, so I am a bit stuck.
So has anyone any idea please, .
Thanks in advance.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Non BMW Question

Post by markplant » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Maybe a bad earth
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Non BMW Question

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm

markplant wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 pm Maybe a bad earth
What with Donald Trump, North Korea and the Middle East, I've been thinking it may be a bad earth too :roll:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Non BMW Question

Post by Ewazix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Several mid 2000's Ford models including mine had a problem with uncontrolled voltage spikes blowing bulbs, often caused when switching off high amp items like the rear screen or fans switching out. Headlights tend to go rather than other bulbs as they are obviously drawing far more current.

Ford issued a dealer bulletin and a fix involving a plug-in resistor wire that was then fitted to later models. It cured my cars problem so may be worth contacting Ford to see if yours was affected. Even if not, a resistor wire like that would protect from spikes which is the most likely cause after a bad connection on any car.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Roscoe

Non BMW Question

Post by Roscoe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks for your replys , just going to waggle the earth connections, then probably off to Ford.
You see I knew someone would have an answer.