Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts and advice

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
BigMick66

Thoughts and advice

Post by BigMick66 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Not Z4 but 2 series convertable .

My friend has one , brand new five months ago, done only 5000 miles and the clutch has failed. BMW are saying wear and tear so not covered by warranty. Any thoughts on what he should do? Emailed their MD but not helpful.

their previous BMW was returned with 140k on the clock and with original clutch - just saying 😀

They are frustrated and feel very let down by BMW understandably.

M
BMW Z4 sDrive23i Sport Highline EditionImage

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts and advice

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

I can't believe it would be wear & tear at only 5000 miles, and BMW shouldn't be claiming such without some proof of abuse. Even my driving in a Z4M saw 140,000 miles out of a clutch & flywheel.

Don't these newer cars show warning when thins are wearing out (brakes, oil, plugs, filters, etc.)?

Have they actually taken it apart to see how/why the clutch has failed - or even tried to diagnose a possibly dodgy slave cylinder? If they haven't then it's more likely to be a failure than abuse at that low mileage.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

BigMick66

Thoughts and advice

Post by BigMick66 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Sure to be fault - these guys do not drive hard and fast.......

But currently BMW won't budge ....
BMW Z4 sDrive23i Sport Highline EditionImage

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts and advice

Post by MACK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:46 pm

When I was a college student I worked at car hire company. We did get cars coming back with literally 100's of miles on and knackered clutches but that was from deliberate driver abuse so BMW can claim it is possible but I would make them prove its due to this.
It typical main dealer/manufacturer deflection to be honest, threaten to take it to trading standards etc and have an independent engineer inspect it. Basically kick up as big a fuss as possible and see what happens.
I would also threaten to name and shame the dealer on every car forum going and park the car legally outside the dealer with big notices (on the inside so they cant remove them) telling the sorry tale.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts and advice

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:01 pm

If he paid ANY part of the purchase price on a credit card, then throw in a sec 75 claim to the CC company, bet that speeds things up....

Mike