Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best way to source a new car?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
36valley

Post by 36valley » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi, my wife has decided she wants a new Mercedes when she retires in a couple of weeks time. So I've been tasked with finding the best deal for her. Problem is, It's been more than 25 years since I last bought a new car from a main dealer. I'm guessing there must be more options than just beating a salesman down on price these days. I guess my question is how effective and trustworthy are the online car finder sites and can anyone recommend any they've used or know about, and any other options there might be to get a good deal.

Cheers,
Pete.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

To purchase outright?

Carwow seems to be popular.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Broadspeed offer a good service and have been going for decades. Two years ago I wanted to buy a new Audi Q3. Got a good price offer in writing from a broker (only problem was the dealer offering the best price was 200 miles away). I'd been to my local dealer previously and hadn't been offered anything like the same deal but I thought I'd go back and try again - showed them the competitive quote and said I was ready to order immediately and to my surprise they agreed to match it. Maybe I was lucky with the timing and them needing to reach sales targets, but I was happy to pocket the £3500 saving and not have to travel to the other side of the country.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:44 pm

EssexZed wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 pm Broadspeed offer a good service and have been going for decades. Two years ago I wanted to buy a new Audi Q3. Got a good price offer in writing from a broker (only problem was the dealer offering the best price was 200 miles away). I'd been to my local dealer previously and hadn't been offered anything like the same deal but I thought I'd go back and try again - showed them the competitive quote and said I was ready to order immediately and to my surprise they agreed to match it. Maybe I was lucky with the timing and them needing to reach sales targets, but I was happy to pocket the £3500 saving and not have to travel to the other side of the country.
+1 Get a price from the online guys then ask local dealer to beat :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

36valley

Post by 36valley » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes it's a cash purchase, which probably works against us as the dealers not getting anything from the finance side of things.
I'll give Broadspeed and Carwow a go and see what they come up with.

Cheers,
Pete

cerbera

Post by cerbera » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Have used drivethedeal in the past. Worth a look if you're shopping around.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm

36valley wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm Yes it's a cash purchase, which probably works against us as the dealers not getting anything from the finance side of things.
I'll give Broadspeed and Carwow a go and see what they come up with.

Cheers,
Pete
I always buy cash. Have two cars that you'd be happy with and fight the dealers for your money. With cash you can go anywhere, so if they want your business they have to yield. Once they do, leave it and then go for one last push.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Some basic rules to follow.....go in at the end of the quarter, it'll significantly improve your chance of getting the best discount possible on the car as they'll be looking to hit volume for their manufacturer rebate number (sometimes even taking a loss on one car to hit the bigger number).....and maybe don't tell them you're a cash buyer upfront...tell them you're a definite buyer but are 'open' to finance options to haggle the price.

As an FYI the salesman gets more commission dollar from your customer satisfaction survey response than from actually selling the car, so be nice to him, tell him you'll give him 5 stars and he'll do his best to give you a good deal.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Although, if you've got cash why would you buy any Mercedes new is crazy....the quickest way to lose real money is to buy a brand new Merc. Get a 2 year old one and save 40% on the new price!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 pm Although, if you've got cash why would you buy any Mercedes new is crazy....the quickest way to lose real money is to buy a brand new Merc. Get a 2 year old one and save 40% on the new price!
This....

Or a dealer demo - My neighbour recently came home ion a fully loaded 7 month old XJL, managing directors car at Hatfield Jag - Car listed at just short of £86k with the options, was up on the forecourt at £53k....

Mike

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm

All good advice, also try car wow, and coast2coast

Purchased a Honda CR-V Black Edition listed at £35,000 in show room from my local Honda Garage with 12k discount & service pack. So over 30% discount :oops:

Have deals from other places, as it helps your position to negotiate. - But more importantly, see what pre-registered stock they have and need to shift.

I find giving the sales person lots of supportive information, stops the visits to the sales manager/business manager or general manager. Give him the tools to give you a great deal.
Last edited by Twin Turbo on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm

+1 on dealer demo. My car had done 1000miles and I saved £14k. Brand new is a daft approach. Just shop for the colour and options and take your time.

sweet is the taste of driving home in a brand smelling car with £14k saved, plus the model, colour and options you wanted from a new car :thumbsup:
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Zed Five wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm +1 on dealer demo. My car had done 1000miles and I saved £14k. Brand new is a daft approach. Just shop for the colour and options and take your time.

sweet is the taste of driving home in a brand smelling car with £14k saved, plus the model, colour and options you wanted from a new car :thumbsup:
Could not agree more.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Lots of good advice. Another company that has been around for a long time with a good reputation is Carfile. Take a look at their website it will give you some guidance on prices. Don't dismiss the main dealers completely. We have just purchased a new BMW from a main dealer because we got the best deal there. We went along intending to buy nearly new, as we have done in the past. However BMW is offering a series of financial incentives at the moment to dealers and it turned out to be cheaper to buy brand new rather than buying their demo. At the moment if you borrow any money from BMW finance they will give you £4795. So we borrowed the minimum amount and then paid it back straightaway. We incurred an interest charge of £300 and so received £4495 as a bonus free of charge plus a big discount on the car itself. The deal was the best I could find anywhere. Good luck with your research.

Sae

Post by Sae » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 pm

One more thing, do you have a set spec/config in mind or do you have flexible spec.
The carwow and broadspeed guys seem like a good deal, however mojority of their best deals (10%+ off) are based on new cars already in stock or demos etc.
If you ask them for New build orders then the discounts are significantly less and obvs have a delivery schedule possibly going into 3-4 months.
If you are willing to move on spec you are more likely to get a deal as you may be lucky enough that there is a new car with your spec in uk stock somewhere.

Good luck with the hunting
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black