Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Had a prang, gutted.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
CharlieCroker

Had a prang, gutted.

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Not been a regular poster on the site due to my other projects but have been lurking in the background. Unfortunately last Thursday someone decided to smack into the front of the zed and effectively wreck my front bumper, kidney grills left light pod and render the left wing useless. So after a weekend of weighing up my options I'm leaning towards the modified look. So the question is, is there a nice front bumper I can replace my stock one with and is it possible to source an oem left wing without any damage, if anyone knows a good bmw breaker? Thanks.
"Shall we synchronize our watches?"

srhutch

Re: Had a prang, gutted.

Post by srhutch » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:10 pm

A few options on the bumper, keeping OEM would be facelift, aero or ///M.

Regarding the wing, should be able to locate one in the correct colour. I have done this both with a front wing and the boot via eBay.

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Did you source all your parts of eBay or is there a good breaker well known on the forum? The left light pod is working but has had all its brackets broken off. One oem replacement comes in at 450 odd quid! Can this be repaired or are there any modified options that will leave me still standing when they tell me the price?!

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi, just did a search on ebay, found a silver one £150.0 unable to link , search for BMW Z4 2007 NEARSIDE FRONT WING

It seem to include the indicator roundel ?
Last edited by fixit man on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:19 pm

What is the aero option, liking the sound of that?

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 pm

fixit man wrote:Hi, just did a search on ebay, found a silver one £150.0 unable to link , search for BMW Z4 2007 NEARSIDE FRONT WING
Cheers dude, I saw that earlier todaynit's damaged though, but right colour.

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Yeah just saw that afterwards, hopefully you'll get lucky, I've been lucky in the past with correct colour, just bolted on :D & :driving:

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Yeah gunna do the work myself, just need to source the parts. No rush though I've already managed to get the zed looking straight enough with all the crash damaged parts. Once I find a good wing I can start on the mods :D

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Is his insurance paying?

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Her. Well I believe they are gunna give a 50/50 verdict, it's a lnog story but the ins and outs are she hit me when I was stationary, however I was an emerging car on a minor road hidden behind a left indicating vehicle that flashed me out and that was on the main road, she overtook this indicating car (serving out onto the oncoming traffic side of the road) and then servung back to the correct side of the road and hence straight into my nose. So blame could be a fronted to both, I shouldn't have moved out (and normally wouldn't but for the indicating car flashing me out) and she should have slowed and waited for the indicating car to turn into the minor road. I hasten to add I moved out very very slowly expecting the danger and actually had stopped with my foot hard on the brake as I could see the girl coming, I really 100% she would miss the nose but she served back into it and contact was made. Also this is a country lane and is totally black at night, in my opinion she was driving too fast and without care, but I was on the main road so she can argue I was in the way. Its a right fuddle, hence I want to keep this away from the insurance to keep my no claims intact. If it was clear cut on her then I would make the claim.

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Sorry but I think you'll be very lucky to get 50/50. If you have come out of a junction and she was already on the road then she and her Insurance company are almost certainly going to want 100% recovery from you or your insurer. It is unfortunate that someone flashed you out when it was not safe but it does not really change the facts. Unless she crossed a solid whitey as part of her overtake it sounds like she would not find it too difficult to pin all the blame on you.

If you have a chance to agree knock for knock with her outside of insurance involvement then go for it quick! :cry:
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 pm

It's funny the differing views and opinions I am recieving on this, most people have said 50/50 you are the first that would give 100% blame in my direction. The fact she hasn't yet approched my insurance company makes me believe she is also unsure who is to blame. The fact I have never had an incident in over 20 years of driving and don't even have a single point on my licence ever, makes it hard to believe it is 100% my fault. The fact I was stationary and her vehicle hit my car leads me to believe she was driving too fast on a stretch of road which is very dark. If a car in front of you is indicating left and braking, would you not slow down to a cautionary speed even if the road was clear on the right and ahead? I belive it was a very immature manoeuvre to overtake and not reduce speed at all leaving her no room for error. The fact I was still on the left side of the road (and never encroached at all onto the oncoming side) indicates to me that she had to serve back to get out of the oncoming traffic side hence hitting the left side of the car. If she had maintain a straight path, she would have sailed past. To be honest all 3 drivers are at fault, the woman flashing me out should have past me and turned into the minor. I should not have pulled out, the girl should not have over taken. 3 bad decisions have created a crash.

z4_top_down

Post by z4_top_down » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Tough call as to what the insurers would say but I doubt I would have overtaken a left turning car unless I was absolutely certain there was nothing coming out of the junction. Sounds like a dangerous overtake to me and like you saying why did she pull back in or at least not pull back out when she saw you in the road ahead of her?? She's also supposed to be able to stop in distance she can see to be clear!
Gone 2009 E85 3.0 Si Sport roadster, titan silver, de-badged, individual black and red leather interior, heated seats, 108's, xenons, headlamp wash, boot spoiler, PDC, wind deflector, Bluetooth, 10 speaker hifi
Gone 2006 2.5Si Sport roadster

CharlieCroker

Post by CharlieCroker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Just to give you a better picture of the scene. The next day I came into work, picture this, I was now in the same position as the car indicating left with a car behind me. It's now morning and in full daylight, as I brake and indicate left the car behind me slows right down and drops back a good 100 yards even though there's absolutely no other car on the road. This allows me to turn completely into the minor and clearing the path for the behind car to drive past safely. I'm not trying at all to clear blame from my shoulders I just want to understand how the insurers will see it. If anything I feel I was jooped into a bad decision by being flashed out.

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Unfortunately you will be held accountable, as case law states that even if you are flashed out you must ensure that the road is clear of oncoming traffic.

If it happened last Thursday she will have not reported to her insurance company till Friday, so you may hear something over the next few days.

Best of luck.