Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Red exclamation light

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
stevedavo86

Red exclamation light

Post by stevedavo86 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:09 am

Folks - red exclamation mark light in brackets has just popped up....did a quick google and looks like could be to do with tyre pressure. Can anyone confirm this is the case please?
2.0i E85 roadster '08 | M heated elec seats | M wheel | ZHP knob

greg81

Red exclamation light

Post by greg81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 am

sounds like the handbrake light...

Can you take a photo of it?

greg81

Red exclamation light

Post by greg81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 am

Is it this one?

If so then you've got a flat, or a faulty sensor.

Mine occasionally comes on when it's really cold out, but there's definitely no flat. Resetting it works and it doesn't come back on. You can reset it by holding the button with the matching icon in front of your ashtray

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Red exclamation light

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:24 am

Yup, it's the TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) Either; you have lost pressure in a tyre, OR if you have recently inflated tyres/had new one's, it needs recalibrating as follows;

Start engine, and whilst stationary, press and hold the TPMS button just in front of the ashtray, until the symbol illuminates on the dash, symbol is amber from memory when calibrating. Then simply drive in a straight line, and it will recalibrate in a few seconds.

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Red exclamation light

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:24 am

greg81 wrote:Is it this one?

Mine occasionally comes on when it's really cold out, but there's definitely no flat. Resetting it works and it doesn't come back on. You can reset it by holding the button with the matching icon in front of your ashtray
That's not an E85 dash, different symbols/procedure for the E89 as per my post above.

Mike

stevedavo86

Red exclamation light

Post by stevedavo86 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 am

Yep thats the exact one. Will check pressures today at the garage. Does anyone know recommend tyre pressures front and back for a 2.0i E85?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Red exclamation light

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:27 am

stevedavo86 wrote:

Yep thats the exact one. Will check pressures today at the garage. Does anyone know recommend tyre pressures front and back for a 2.0i E85?
Should be on a sticker inside the door.

Mike

stevedavo86

Red exclamation light

Post by stevedavo86 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:27 am

Ducklakeview wrote:Yup, it's the TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) Either; you have lost pressure in a tyre, OR if you have recently inflated tyres/had new one's, it needs recalibrating as follows;

Start engine, and whilst stationary, press and hold the TPMS button just in front of the ashtray, until the symbol illuminates on the dash, symbol is amber from memory when calibrating. Then simply drive in a straight line, and it will recalibrate in a few seconds.

Mike
thanks Mike....I haven't inflated or put new ones on recently so must be a loss of pressure.

greg81

Red exclamation light

Post by greg81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 am

Ducklakeview wrote:

That's not an E85 dash, different symbols/procedure for the E89 as per my post above.

Mike
Fair point. I just picked the first picture on Google with the matching light :)

Red exclamation light

Post by sticky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:33 am

stevedavo86 wrote:Folks - red exclamation mark light in brackets has just popped up....did a quick google and looks like could be to do with tyre pressure. Can anyone confirm this is the case please?
Reset instructions in your hand book

C58

Red exclamation light

Post by C58 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 am

i had this recently, i thought i had a slow puncture but turns out it was a nail in the tyre. as has been posted above - reinflate the tyres when the engine is on and press and holt the reset button by the lighter. it will turn the red light to amber, drive for a minute and it will disappear

85genius

Red exclamation light

Post by 85genius » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 pm

C58 wrote:it will turn the red light to amber, drive for a minute and it will disappear
:thumbsup:

I did't know that you drive for a minute for it it just disappeared by itself :rofl: stupid me I was pressing to turn amber then holding the button down whilst driving to make it go completely probably quite dangerous too what an idiot I am. That was my old zed though not had the light once in my SI
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

stevedavo86

Red exclamation light

Post by stevedavo86 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Not put air in it yet but pressed the button until it went from red to amber then drove away and it seems to have disappeared?!

TR4man

Red exclamation light

Post by TR4man » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm

stevedavo86 wrote:Not put air in it yet but pressed the button until it went from red to amber then drove away and it seems to have disappeared?!
Now buy yourself an owner's handbook :)
Last edited by TR4man on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Red exclamation light

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:10 pm

stevedavo86 wrote:Not put air in it yet but pressed the button until it went from red to amber then drove away and it seems to have disappeared?!
IT will do, as it's now recalibrated to the air that is in (or not) the tyres. First thing you need to do is check the pressures!

Mike