Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Me again..... wheel valves!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve.Eagle

Post by Steve.Eagle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Sorry for all the random questions I'm posting guys, hope you don't mind........ so far you've all been a great help!

Anyway, latest question...... thought I'd give my Z a quick once over this afternoon, all spot on apart from I couldn't check my tyre pressures due to my valves being so short!

Anyone else had this problem?????
IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3765.JPG (311.1 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:01 pm

I had it once on my first Z4 with the same wheels, main dealer fitted valves which were too short when fitting new tyres and had to redo it. Must be a pain to add air too.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Buy some valve extenders off eBay for a couple of quid.

Steve.Eagle

Post by Steve.Eagle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Adam D wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:01 pm I had it once on my first Z4 with the same wheels, main dealer fitted valves which were too short when fitting new tyres and had to redo it. Must be a pain to add air too.
Funnily enough I've just bought the car from a main dealer and they fitted a set of new tyres to it during the prep!!

I can change them myself, just was hoping to not have the hassle of doing it. Yes they are a pain, I've got two inflators for my compressor at home and neither fitted the valves!

Will try my inflator at work on Monday but I don't think that'll fit either.

Steve.Eagle

Post by Steve.Eagle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Grumpyowl wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:06 pm Buy some valve extenders off eBay for a couple of quid.
Never knew you could get such a thing...... will look now!! :thumbsup:

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Yes tyre fitter should have used longer valves I had this issue and told them to change the valves as they were unserviceable all good now :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

On1wheel01

Post by On1wheel01 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 am

I guess you guys don’t have access to the tools we have over here. I have pressure checker / fill that works great for wheels like that. Most free air fuel stations have the same. Odd

blackabbot

Post by blackabbot » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am

Had the same problem myself last weekend, three of my split rim wheel valves were okay to put air in but one was slightly crimped so I went to my local ATS and had a longer valve fitted for £9.00 :thumbsup:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:21 pm

I asked for the shorter stem valves when I had my last set of tyres - think it looks neater and I’ve never had problems with the various pumps and pressure checkers I’ve used (I have a particularly cruddy set of 108s that I WILL get refurbed soon).

Guy at the tyre place referred to them as motorbike tyre valves, although they don’t look like the valves I have on my bike???

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:35 pm

The valves on my 108s are like that too - luckily I've got a pressure gauge that goes straight on rather than needing to be at any sort of angle!

Back when I had bikes I used to have a valve extender with a 90 degree bend in it - much easier to get a reading than between the spokes!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am

Just had 2 new Rear Michelin PS4s fitted - the valve stems they fitted are too short for my inflater, tyre pressure gauge and more importantly the emergency in car inflater will no longer fit.

Was told to buy an extension!

Have requested that the correct valves be fitted which I believe are 414's for a BMW 108 wheel. These protrude about 5mm from the rim.
This argument is still ongoing

Anyone know where valve spec is listed for BMW wheels - cant find a definitive guide. ?
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Rucky wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am Just had 2 new Rear Michelin PS4s fitted - the valve stems they fitted are too short for my inflater, tyre pressure gauge and more importantly the emergency in car inflater will no longer fit.

Was told to buy an extension!

Have requested that the correct valves be fitted which I believe are 414's for a BMW 108 wheel. These protrude about 5mm from the rim.
This argument is still ongoing

Anyone know where valve spec is listed for BMW wheels - cant find a definitive guide. ?
I understand you want the job done right and don’t want to have the extenders on...probably because they just don’t look nice. If you get tired of arguing, just keep one extender in the glove box and move it from tire to tire as you check and fill the tires. A little bit of a pain but how often do you really check tire pressure? If you eventually get another set of tires, make sure they do it right then.

Sometimes life is too short to deal with idiots who don’t do things right, and don’t care about customer satisfaction. I surely would never spend another penny with that shop and if they do break down your tires to put in the correct valves then there is more opportunity to damage your wheels...then more arguments!

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:50 pm

COSTCO - who I have recommended on this site before have many safety policies in place for tyre changes.
They fitted the correct valves when tyres were replaced in Jan 2019 and to my X5, daughters Focus and previous cars I owned
This time round they fitted short ones - stating that :
They only supply two lengths of valves the short for alloys and 3in ones for steels!
I can buy an extension.
I didnt specifically ask for long valves
All new cars carry extenders
They are the correct valves for my wheels
Noone else has complained

I got every response except for an apology and Yes I see what yout issue is so we will get the right valves

I haver emailed a complaint to their head office as I cannot believe this is Costco policy for the huge range of tyres they sell and fit. Especially when they sell high end tyres for high end cars and trucks.
If you are from the US you probably use Costco too

I agree there are only 2 lengths of Valve : The right ones and the wrong ones which is all the rest.

Its my wifes car and at present it takes pliers just to remove the dust caps.
( I even had to remove the wheels at home as their jacks do not fit under the car - but I accept this)

I suggest Anyone buying tyres from Costco - especially as they are currently running a promotion should specifically ask about correct valve availability
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:30 pm

Steve.Eagle wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm
Funnily enough I've just bought the car from a main dealer and they fitted a set of new tyres to it during the prep!!
I'd be more worried about what sort of rubber they fitted? Runflat? :cry:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Costco jacks fit under my lowered Z4MC fine at both the Liverpool and Haydock branches.

Didn’t even know there were different length valves and never had an issue checking pressures or topping them up on any wheel I’ve had, even 2-piece BBS baskets :o
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options