Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help with electric seats

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Gazsky

Help with electric seats

Post by Gazsky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am

Hi, trying to convert from non electric. My z4 05 does not have the electric seat loom fitted, anyone know if there is a part no. for this, or will I have to cut one from a scrap car. anyone done this before? Thanks

bcworkz

Re: Help with electric seats

Post by bcworkz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Go to realoem.com. Click enter. Put in your VIN as instructed. Go to vehicle electrical system >> wiring set >> wiring set seat
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:20 pm

WestCDA

Post by WestCDA » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm

I don't know what all you have installed on your '05, but on my '06 the plugs were there (without the electrical connector pins or wiring) at both the seat and fusebox connectors. The fusebox contained the 30 amp fuses for the two power seat circuits (fuses 15 and 29). I ran new 12ga. wire adjacent to the existing seat harnesses for the power and ground (earth), and an 18ga. memory (K-bus) wire from the driver seat. The new wiring was tied to to the existing harness.

I ran the grounds (earths) to the factory ground junctions behind the kickpanel covers (same as OEM), and the power wires to the fusebox plug. I soldered BMW connectors to the wires, which clicked into the open cavities in the factory plugs at the seat and fusebox connectors - same part for all the power wires, with a small pin connector and pigtail used for the K bus seat connector. The other end of the 'K bus' wire I soldered to a K bus join inside the 'stump' of wires that extends from the main harness behind the glovebox/fusebox area. The BMW wiring diagram shows a 'fan connector' for the K bus joins in that area, but in my car at least all the joins were done inside that wire bundle that branches off the main harness.

It's a little bit of work to run everything this way (especially dismantling the glovebox and surrounding components to access the fusebox plug), but it looks and works like OEM. Parts cost was minimal - a little bit of wire and some inexpensive connectors. Good luck with your project ... :thumbsup:
2006 Z4R 3.0si

Gazsky

Post by Gazsky » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies, the wiring harness shown is for the internal seat workings which come with the seat, the harness i need is from the car to the seat, comes with early cars 03 etc but not 05. Westcda has the idea, sounds like a right *********

WestCDA

Post by WestCDA » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Per your PM request, here is some additional information and part numbers for the connectors.

BMW 'Socket Contact ELO': 61-13-8-364-842. 6 required (1 each +/- at the seat connectors, two + at the fusebox connector). The plugs that receive the connectors are physically different at the fusebox and the seats, but this same contact solidly 'clicks in' to both.

BMW 'Bushing Contact' 61-13-0-006-663. 1 required (K bus connector on the driver seat). This contact pushes in to the seat connector plug the same as the power contacts, but has a pigtail wire already attached.

For the ground/earth wiring I attached a generic 'ring' connector, that fit the bolt attaching the ground junction fan connectors to the sheet metal under the kick panels.

The K Bus wire is for the seat memory, and connects to the 'body bus' that runs throughout the car for communication between various components. They are little white wires with red and yellow stripes (WS/RT/GE in the wiring diagrams). For the driver seat, this allow you to have different memory settings tied to different driver keys, for example. The car programming does need to be changed to mark this feature as active.

I used the online WDS (wiring diagrams) to track down which wires connected where - it identifies the plugs, pin numbers used, wiring gauge and colours, fuse circuits, etc. It's located here:

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/
2006 Z4R 3.0si

Gazsky

Post by Gazsky » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks, what a fantastic reply, I love this forum, someone has allways done what you want to do previously, and in an expert fashion, respect. Thanks for all answers.

raptor_demon

Post by raptor_demon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:08 pm

thanks for writing this up.

im currently stuck as i cant get the panel out to get to the purple connector that the power wires go into. how did you get to it?

thanks raptor