Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OEM Halo bulbs - LED - coding warnings out

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my halo bulbs with LEDs, but not interested in the chinese cheap ones (bit of a gamble whether they work/last..).
Now I've seen Osram do the BA9S type i will give it a go.
I know the bulb holder will need some modification to allow a new bulb, but the dremmel is on hand.

My question is more to do with the lights out warning. Can it be coded out for the sidelights on their own, or will it be for the whole car?

At the moment I quite like the car telling me a bulb is out, especially before an MOT.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm

If the bulb your replacing it with is less than 10v the light will illuminate but this light can be coded out. I just did the same thing. I removed the small bulbs and fitted LED's.
IMG_6386.JPG
IMG_6386.JPG (191.65 KiB) Viewed 1392 times

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

There are three items in NCS for the checks:
Hot, cold and CC

Disabling the CC will stop the dash warnings but leaving the checks will cause LEDs to flicker as the checks are performed so best to turn them all off.
Individual bulb pairs can be disabled, side lights are prefixed PO_
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Joycey wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm If the bulb your replacing it with is less than 10v the light will illuminate but this light can be coded out. I just did the same thing. I removed the small bulbs and fitted LED's.

IMG_6386.JPG
Did you code yours out or were you lucky?
Also do they flicker at any point (like when you switch off)?

Thanks
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:31 pm

There's no luck involved. If the current draw is less than an incandescent bulb the checks will fail. Only options are to fit 'canbus compatible' LEDs which include load resistors to draw the same power, add your own load resistors, or turn off the checks. The flickering is the car performing the checks or a faulty LED. Mine stay on very dimly when unlocking or turning off the car for a few minutes.
There is also the option in NCS to set side lights as DRLs if you want the Halos on all the time.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I had to code mine out. I have the carly software on my phone so it only took a few minutes. No flickering at all.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Joycey wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm I had to code mine out. I have the carly software on my phone so it only took a few minutes. No flickering at all.
didn't know that you can do it with carly! I've got carly too but no NCS..

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I think Carly is just a front end for changing NCS options, much like SSS, so you should be able to do most of what NCS can do.

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 pm

CAN definitely be done on Carly, I did mine when I had some troubles recently

If anyone is local I'm happy to help - only takes 5 mins!
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:48 pm

RyanB88 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 pm CAN definitely be done on Carly, I did mine when I had some troubles recently

If anyone is local I'm happy to help - only takes 5 mins!
tell me where in carly can you do it ? :D I'm getting my sidelight bulbs replaced with LED's as soon as I move houses and will need this done.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Joycey wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm If the bulb your replacing it with is less than 10v the light will illuminate but this light can be coded out. I just did the same thing. I removed the small bulbs and fitted LED's.

IMG_6386.JPG
Thats exactly what I want to do, you got a link to the bulbs you used?
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm

If you're going to code out the checks then get a set of Philips or Osram LEDs. Mine have been going at least 3 years with no issues.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 am

I've just ordered some osram 3850CW-02B from fleabay.
These are the BA9s or T4W fitment. 12v and cool white (6000k).
Will wait and see how they are.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 am

dhobbs wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 am I've just ordered some osram 3850CW-02B from fleabay.
Do you have Carly/NCS to code out the checks? Without doing this you'll end up with the bulb error and indicators permanently on.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 am
dhobbs wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 am I've just ordered some osram 3850CW-02B from fleabay.
Do you have Carly/NCS to code out the checks? Without doing this you'll end up with the bulb error and indicators permanently on.
No, but I was either going to ask someone nearby in the Sussex area or get the app myself.
Is the app specific to BMW or can you use it on other cars? I also have a VW so if I can use it on that it would be more worthwhile getting it.