Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hardtop

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Simon Blythe

Hardtop

Post by Simon Blythe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am

I've been offered the hardtop by the previous owner of my car for the going rate. The bonus being it is colour coded in the silver grey.

A few thoughts though that others may have an opinion on:

Is a hardtop really that necessary?
I'm assuming the soft top is more than adequate to deal with the British winter.
They seem pretty easy to fit / remove but it's a 2 man job?
Once fitted is it best to remove it periodically to cycle the soft top?

For what it's worth my car generally lives in the garage.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtop

Post by Marlon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 am

The soft top is adequate for all year round motoring if treated and kept clean, Plus you have a garage so less exposure.
They are a 2 man job definitely, and quite easy to get on and off.
Once fitted it can be left on over the winter - no need to cycle the soft top.

Is a hardtop necessary? - well depends on your situation. It helps protect the soft top for those like me who don't have a garage, plus its more secure if its a daily drive. Basically though it comes down to aesthetics - if you like the look and the experience of the hardtop then its a great addition :thumbsup:
Last edited by Marlon on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtop

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am

knowing you have a daily Simon, id say its a bit pointless. The zed like mine, is there for the odd blast when you feel in the mood for it.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtop

Post by MACK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 am

The soft top is more than adequate all year round. For me it all comes down to how often you would likely drop the roof in winter. If you like to get the roof down as often as possible and are quite hardy temperature wise then the hardtop becomes pointless. If your not going to have the roof down between October and April then the hardtop makes more sense, although it's still more of a want than a need as the soft top is pretty damn good in all weathers. I think its fair to say if there had never been a hardtop for the e85 I doubt it would have been a deal breaker for folks
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtop

Post by ben g » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Soft top is fine all year round, but the hardtop steps up the looks massively. The weak point of the roadster, in my opinion, is the bubble ropf effect with the roof up. The hardtop gets rid of this as the lines are different.

Well worth every penny, but not essential.

Only thing i will say is if your Z4 lived outside, then obviously it prevents mould growth on the soft top
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtop

Post by kis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am knowing you have a daily Simon, id say its a bit pointless.
If it's a second car I wouldn't bother. You already said it lives in the garage mostly, so for when you do take it out, you'd probably end up having the roof down anyway! :driving:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

philbo909

Hardtop

Post by philbo909 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Is a hardtop really that necessary?
if it's a daily/street parked/visit more crime-prone areas then yes
I'm assuming the soft top is more than adequate to deal with the British winter.
the soft top has the glass heated rear windscreen and is well insulated, so in winter there isn't a need for a hard top, especially if youve had your roof motor relocated (leaves blocking drain holes)
They seem pretty easy to fit / remove but it's a 2 man job?
two man fit, but easy to do, just drop and lock
Once fitted is it best to remove it periodically to cycle the soft top?
if you're buying a roadster I'm sure you'll want to have it easily convertible so no need to cycle on/off
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Crazy Harry

Hardtop

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I was in a rush to get a hard top when I bought my Zed in January this year - fortunately I couldn't find one I could afford at the time. If I had I would have missed so many dry winter days when I was able to drop the top. I did more miles topless over winter thanks to the Zeds heater and heated seats - and its my daily driver :thumbsup:

I agree with philbo909 - Its my daily but is very rarely street parked or goes into the city. I live in a rural area so it does go into town but is parked in front of the house down a longish drive. Sits out in all weathers but when its dry I keep an eye on the drains and keep the top clean with a stiff brush and the vacuum cleaner - no green yet but I guess autumn is the worst time of year (standing by with the Milton fluid just in case). I've decided if (when) the roof does wear then I'll spend my money here http://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/bmw-z4-hoods - a nice blue on to match the paint work. Bit cheaper than a hard top in winter and I think the cost included fitting.

Can't imagine the frustration of being out; weather changing and wanting to go topless but can't. In the end its how you use the car that makes the decision.