Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof - what should happen?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jezza21

Post by Jezza21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm

So yesterday I got my roof motor out, now when I connect it to a battery it sounds very nicely! DIY removal and refurb was absolutely worth it. I encourage anyone thinking about it to do it!!

However after connecting it back up in the boot, nothing happens at all. No noise, the windows don't even drop in preparation for the roof to open!

So there must be an electrical problem - if the windows aren't even dropping when I press the roof open button, is this likely to be because the circuit is "incomplete", I.e there is a break somewhere in the boot cables? Or am i facing a bigger electrical problem?

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Havent got your parcel shelf up have you?
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Is the shelf in the boot in the lowered position, or has the tab off said mircoswitch broken off
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Jezza21

Post by Jezza21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't even have the parcel shelf in the car right now, it's still off from when I needed access to my motor for removal

What's this micro switch?

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:31 pm

The shelf when in the lower position hits the mircoswitch an allows the roof to work , sounds likely this is the issue
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:34 pm

The micro switch is in the middle of the rear bulkhead towards the top, if yes press an hold it in an get some one to press roof button or press an hold unlock on your keys it should work

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:34 pm

if the shelf isnt fitted then i think the car will think its up and therefore not let you operate the roof. Step in any time Mike (DLV) :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Jezza21

Post by Jezza21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Bingo this is the problem! It's running. Now the new problem, how do I fit the parcel shelf without damaging the roof motor hydraulic cables! Does everyone cut out slots or something?

I feel the frame that holds the parcel shelf on the left will not fit over these cables

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:02 pm

You would have been getting an orange light when you pressed the "lower" button. This indicates that the shelf is up, or not fitted, and is a safety measure.

Mike

Jezza21

Post by Jezza21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 pm

That's exactly it Mike, good to know. Thanks!

Mine's connected and spinning, don't think it has enough oil in it though. Roof unlocks but doesn't actually move.

Even though it's still not fixed I'm feeling great just to have the bugger out and re connected! Very satisfying after so many rude words and shouting at damn cable ties haha!