Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Council grass cutting damaged my new car

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mr Alan

Post by Mr Alan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG (507.58 KiB) Viewed 918 times
It's at the bottom of the front drivers wing below the indicator repeater
3.0 manual si coupe

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Ouch!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Havard

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Touch it up and keep the money.... :evil:
ImageImage

Mr Alan

Post by Mr Alan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:28 pm

No I can't really do that it's very noticeable and I don't want a dented new car
3.0 manual si coupe

Havard

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Mr Alan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:28 pm No I can't really do that it's very noticeable and I don't want a dented new car
In fairness that would do my head in but at a grand I wouldn't be able to talk for laughing at the quote.

That money is also no guarantee of getting a decent job done.
ImageImage

Mr Alan

Post by Mr Alan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:04 pm

The council have come back and as suspected have gone for the chips away option. Shame they couldn't stretch to the body shop but I do understand why given the pressure the councils are under. Frankly I'm surprised they have actually coughed up at all. I will take that as a positive result in the circumstances.
3.0 manual si coupe

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:41 pm

When I was a student, a road sign fell on my parked car smashing the door mirror. Wandsworth Borough Council stated that they check all street furniture on a six monthly basis and there was no fault at the last review of that sign. As such they denied liability. I was in the process of arranging to take them to court when the gearbox coughed up its last and renedered the problem moot!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I wonder what their attitude would be if it was the chief execs car? Or is that me being cynical ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:32 pm

I read this topic last Friday and on Saturday this happened to my new house. I'm blaming you :rofl: first time cutting the grass and a stone flicked up from under a tree and decided to shatter the window :headbang:

Attachments
_20170922_203217.JPG
_20170922_203217.JPG (321.75 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm

ben g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:32 pm I read this topic last Friday and on Saturday this happened to my new house. I'm blaming you :rofl: first time cutting the grass and a stone flicked up from under a tree and decided to shatter the window :headbang:

Been there, done that! I guess it's only the outer pane that's shattered so you still have some security until the unit can be replaced. I notice you're in Essex as am I. If you're in North Essex don't use Kent Blaxhill for the repair. I was instructed to use them by my insurance company. Chap came out and measured it - two weeks later the fitters arrived, oops it was measured incorrectly so wouldn't fit. Two weeks later they came back, this time the unit was the right size but made out of bronze tinted glass (should have been clear)! Sorry gov, 'ave to re-order it, be two weeks. Six weeks later I chased up where it was to be told it had been sitting in the warehouse for a month but nobody knew whose it was..... you couldn't make it up :roll:

Mr Alan

Post by Mr Alan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 pm

I have to shamefully admit I have also done that to a patio window with a lawnmower it was quite relaxing watching the glass cracking into 1000 pieces over the space of a day
3.0 manual si coupe

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 pm

EssexZed wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm
ben g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:32 pm I read this topic last Friday and on Saturday this happened to my new house. I'm blaming you :rofl: first time cutting the grass and a stone flicked up from under a tree and decided to shatter the window :headbang:

Been there, done that! I guess it's only the outer pane that's shattered so you still have some security until the unit can be replaced. I notice you're in Essex as am I. If you're in North Essex don't use Kent Blaxhill for the repair. I was instructed to use them by my insurance company. Chap came out and measured it - two weeks later the fitters arrived, oops it was measured incorrectly so wouldn't fit. Two weeks later they came back, this time the unit was the right size but made out of bronze tinted glass (should have been clear)! Sorry gov, 'ave to re-order it, be two weeks. Six weeks later I chased up where it was to be told it had been sitting in the warehouse for a month but nobody knew whose it was..... you couldn't make it up :roll:
Fortunately, my Grandad worked at a window firm after he retired from Ford Motor Company, so he's getting them to make it up and my Dad will fit it, so luckily it'll be a cheap repair.

As you said, not too much of an issue as it's only the outer panel that's smashed.

I'm near Lakeside Shopping Centre so pretty much as South as Essex goes before you're in the Thames :lol:

It just makes me laugh how we were in our previous home 7 years and we didn't have one problem like this. 2 weeks here and we've had a nightmare :cry:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:21 am

ben g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Fortunately, my Grandad worked at a window firm after he retired from Ford Motor Company, so he's getting them to make it up and my Dad will fit it, so luckily it'll be a cheap repair.

As you said, not too much of an issue as it's only the outer panel that's smashed.

I'm near Lakeside Shopping Centre so pretty much as South as Essex goes before you're in the Thames :lol:

It just makes me laugh how we were in our previous home 7 years and we didn't have one problem like this. 2 weeks here and we've had a nightmare :cry:
Has your dad got experience of taking the internal bead out of plastic windows and re-fitting them?

If not it can be very tricky and easy to damage the beading and you have to get them spot on square to snap them back in.

If he has then as you were. :)
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:13 am

ben g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 pm

I know the area you're in well as I was born in Thurrock. I'm now about as far North in the county as you can get but have yet to own a home across the border :lol: Hope you get the window fixed ok.

Mr Alan

Post by Mr Alan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Yay all fixed. Looks good
3.0 manual si coupe