Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Still fiddling with alignment

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Kamuela

Post by Kamuela » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 pm

What is the range of camber adjustment in front by moving the strut? That is, what's the difference between all the way in and all the way out? I'd like to have some feel for how big a change I make. Thanks.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Just push it all the way in and be done with it as I said before. :wink:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Kamuela

Post by Kamuela » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Steve84N wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 pm Just push it all the way in and be done with it as I said before. :wink:
yes, yes. But the curious part of me wants to have some idea where that goes before I descend yet again on the alignment guy. I can't help it if I'm a bit OCD :D

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Even maxxed out the front doesn't have enough camber so the next step is to push the struts all the way in. Then if you are still curious it's time for adjustable camber plates. Anything less is a waste of time and you'll barely notice it.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 am

I would agree. Not long removed the pins and slid the struts inboard as far as they would go. I asked for max negative at the front (and max negative at the rear to stuff my wheels in at the back). Handles way better when getting a move on.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Kamuela

Post by Kamuela » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 am

Follow up.
OK, as we recall, I went in for alignment with the rear so badly off it was on another car, and the front with enough toe to make a snow plow. What came out was miles better, but surprisingly for what was supposed to be a "stock" alignment, but somehow with a lot of front camber; L -1.7, R -1.8. Now, everybody's saying "pull the pins and shove it all the way in!", which sounds smutty, but isn't. Nobody actually seems to be clear on how much that changes the camber, but it's a good thing.
After wearing my bleeding fingertips to the bone with Google, it appears that particular tweak is good for somewhere between a few tenths and a half a degree. So I did it. Takes 20 minutes, most of which is removing my strut tower brace temporarily. Remember, I'm starting with a lot of dihedral in the front. Starting at ~1.8 and adding as much as a half of a degree takes me to a bit over 2, which is not a huge change. At a guess, then, the front is in the neighborhood of -2.2 or so, the same as the rear, and with considerably less toe in, so I'd expect pretty close to neutral handling.
Truthfully, I can't really tell much. Going from quite a bit of negative camber to a bit more isn't nearly as dramatic as going from none to some. I believe it's just a touch closer to neutral; my quick 'n' dirty test, accelerating into a turn then suddenly letting off, does practically nothing. It slows a bit, that's it, where before it aimed pretty strongly for the outside of the curve. No surprise turn in or out (swapped ends on an MR-2 once doing that). I'm pretty pleased at this point.
I'll be visiting the alignment guy again sometime mostly to see where, exactly, I'm at. I still want to satisfy my curiosity, but I think I'm done with the alignment adventure, barring some new information.
Thank you all. Over and out...

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm

I'd be checking the state of your lollipop bushes (front lower control arm rear) as I've never heard of getting that much camber up front without plates unless it's heavily lowered (or you have an M and someone has put some washers in the strut joint to space it out).
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc