Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2003 E85 Body Mods - Looking for links and input please :)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Hello,

As some may have seen I've been busy with multiple projects on the go at once. I've now finally finished my headlights, my wind deflector will be finished this week, hopefully so will my minor diy led sills. (I've still got to remove my double din fascia though and get it smoothed and 'finished' properly)

Anyways, on my to-do list is to look at a few body mods and was looking for some suggestions. I don't want to really get into debates about sticking to OEM or as close as etc - we each do what we want with our own cars, to our own tastes 8)

So, here's the things I'm considering and looking for some advise or rather to be guided to some preferable products.

1) The Aero Boot spoiler... I've seen some on eBay for around £85 delivered, unsprayed but primed, made in GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic). Opinions?

2) Quad Exit exhaust? - I'm not too fussed on function, I personally just love the look of twin exhaust exits either side of the vehicle. On my old Saab 9-3 2.8 v6 it had a twin exit, single pipe, either side as standard. The Z4 of course has a twin exit on the passenger side as standard. But love the look of the quad exit on the Z4M. (See (3))

3) To go with the Quad Exhaust I would obviously need to either chop my rear bumper, or, the next obvious question would be, would a Z4M Rear bumper just bolt straight on in place of the current bumper?

4) Front Bumper... The front kits that I've seen I've not really been impressed with, or rather, they just weren't to my tastes. Can anyone suggest a nice subtle mod for the front bumper? A nice lip perhaps?

5) I have the standard steering wheel, without the multi function buttons. The buttons are irrelevant since I don't have the OEM stereo etc so was thinking about a nicely stitched replacement, or perhaps trying a leather trim kit thing that you kinda sow up your self... anyone tried one before or have a link to a decent one?

5b) How hard is it to get the steering wheel off if I was to do a replacement (Since I keep seeing the odd refurbished one by [insert company name here that I've forgotten])

Many thanks in advance, and if you have any tasteful mod suggestions please do let me know. I know the stubby/whippy aerial is a hot topic :rofl:
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:19 am

Have you looked in the e85 how to section,plenty of info there.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am

Some after market head units are compatible with steering wheel controls, may need a adapter,

Steering wheel is royals that most use
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 am

Z4m rear bumper is slightly different around the lights so trim to fit or fit facelift rear lights, jingle had a m style quad made for his 2litre by a company in st Alban's I think, but it looks really well made
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 am

Z4m rear bumper is slightly different around the lights so trim to fit or fit facelift rear lights, jingle had a m style quad made for his 2litre by a company in st Alban's I think, but it looks really well made

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 am

IAmOrion wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm
5b) How hard is it to get the steering wheel off if I was to do a replacement (Since I keep seeing the odd refurbished one by [insert company name here that I've forgotten])
Took me under an hour (including leaving the battery disconnected for atleast 20 mins) to swap the steering wheel over. I found the trickiest bit to be how short the wires are that go to airbag! You'll need a long/deep 16mm socket to get the bolt undone, but other than that, it's easy :-)
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 am

markplant wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am Some after market head units are compatible with steering wheel controls, may need a adapter,
Steering wheel is royals that most use
That's was the name.... Royals :thumbsup:
Also, I'm not fussed, my steering wheel does not have the buttons anyways and tbh I'm not bothered
markplant wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 am Z4m rear bumper is slightly different around the lights so trim to fit or fit facelift rear lights, jingle had a m style quad made for his 2litre by a company in st Alban's I think, but it looks really well made
Ahh I see. I actually found a company (mstyle.co.uk) that offer the bumper and quad exhaust fitted, but it's £1300
groovy_hippy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 am Took me under an hour (including leaving the battery disconnected for atleast 20 mins) to swap the steering wheel over. I found the trickiest bit to be how short the wires are that go to airbag! You'll need a long/deep 16mm socket to get the bolt undone, but other than that, it's easy :-)
Ah ok, pretty straight forward then, thanks :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:38 am

Do search on m style , Jonny Essex and exhaust, personally I'd find a bumper an go to the shop jingle used

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:17 pm

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Mine has the front lip from a SEAT Cupra, great fit and only about £47 from the bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SEAT- ... SwFe5XzoIb

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:59 pm

scooobydont wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:17 pm Mine has the front lip from a SEAT Cupra, great fit and only about £47 from the bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SEAT- ... SwFe5XzoIb
Any pics of your car with this?

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Here you go:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:23 pm

markplant wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:38 am Do search on m style , Jonny Essex and exhaust, personally I'd find a bumper an go to the shop jingle used
Hopefully JINGLE will come across this thread and let us know where he got his done :)

M Style in Essex is where I saw the Z4M rear bumper + Quad exhaust kit for £1300
thanatu55 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 pm A few sites to try:
Thanks for the links :thumbsup:
scooobydont wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 pm Here you go:
Looks pretty good - I'm very tempted by that! Thanks for the link :thumbsup:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:46 pm

scooobydont wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 pm Here you go:
Doesn't look too bad actually I'm surprised, nicely understated whilst subtly mimicking the fangs of the M bumper.