Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Facelift seats in pre-facelift car!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dunks

Post by dunks » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi all,

Just looking at how I'd go about fitting some facelift heated + electric seats to replace my manual non-heated seats.

From what I've read I need to fit the occupancy sensor bypass module, and then code the airbag(?) module to stop the passenger seatbelt unfastened warning due the system thinking someone is always sitting on the seat. And then swap my control panel with the heated seats version.

Is this only the case with facelift seats? Can you get heated/electric pre-facelift seats?

Can I code this seatbelt warning off with Carly? Or do I need to use SSS v32 (I think it's called that)?

Apologies for the likely daft questions!

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 pm

As I said in the other thread there's no differnce in occupancy sensors

I've literally fitted a set of facelift seats in my pre facelift car this evening and they are plug and play no occupancy sensor or beeping from the seat belt chime
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm

The issue is when you put post facelift m sport seats in a pre facelift car with se seats.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm

MACK wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm The issue is when you put post facelift m sport seats in a pre facelift car with se seats.
??

That's what I did with mine, and they were plug & play, no changes to wiring, no errors and everything works.

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm
MACK wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm The issue is when you put post facelift m sport seats in a pre facelift car with se seats.
??

That's what I did with mine, and they were plug & play, no changes to wiring, no errors and everything works.

Mike
Initially i just did the bypass and used an extra seatbelt buckle to stop the seatbelt chime.
Then after reading on here that the issues with M Sport seats were a myth I removed the bypass and thought everything was fine. However I then started getting a intermittent fault code/dash light that i kept resetting over the next three months . In the end i noticed when something like laptop and bag or rucksack etc was on the seat it upset it and I got a fault code/light. Bizarrely I could put a person on it and it was fine but anything that weighed less than a person but more than about 5kg the fault code would appear. In the end I coded out the belt warning and re did the bypass.
I figured that either my issue was some sort of compatibility issue between the post facelift occupancy sensor mat and the the pre facelift cars modules/software or it could just be a dodgy seat mat in someway. However others have had issues when swapping as well although some don't, so I'm more enclined to think its a compatability issue. Like I said a bit bizarre and the current set works fine so "if it ain't broke!"
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Cool, good to know as Ive just bought and collected from a forum member tonight some facelift SE electric/heated seats to go into my 2.5 Zed which at the moment has non-heated manual seats.

Will report back over the weekend when I fit the new seats to confirm whether its simply a case of plug and play :thumbsup:

ps probably going to stick the nonheated manually adjusted seats up on Ebay at a £1 start no reserve ... any other ideas on where else to advertise the non heated manual seats? I read somewhere that VW Transporter owners like to buy these seats as a mod.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Sky-drive wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm Cool, good to know as Ive just bought and collected from a forum member tonight some facelift SE electric/heated seats to go into my 2.5 Zed which at the moment has non-heated manual seats.

Will report back over the weekend when I fit the new seats to confirm whether its simply a case of plug and play :thumbsup:

ps probably going to stick the nonheated manually adjusted seats up on Ebay at a £1 start no reserve ... any other ideas on where else to advertise the non heated manual seats? I read somewhere that VW Transporter owners like to buy these seats as a mod.
Is your car before the "cutoff point" ie when they were still fitting the wiring for the likes of seats and cruise into every car on the line, and switched to fitting it to only those that specced the actual options?

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 pm
Sky-drive wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm Cool, good to know as Ive just bought and collected from a forum member tonight some facelift SE electric/heated seats to go into my 2.5 Zed which at the moment has non-heated manual seats.

Is your car before the "cutoff point" ie when they were still fitting the wiring for the likes of seats and cruise into every car on the line, and switched to fitting it to only those that specced the actual options?

Mike
MIke looking at his profile/previous posts the OP has a 53 plate so he'll be fine. OP with your car being a 2.5 your seats will be full leather. 2.0 and 2.2 seats aren't as standard so I would put them up on here as well as they would be a nice little upgrade for someone if in good nick.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

dunks

Post by dunks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 am

jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 pm As I said in the other thread there's no differnce in occupancy sensors

I've literally fitted a set of facelift seats in my pre facelift car this evening and they are plug and play no occupancy sensor or beeping from the seat belt chime
Sorry mate, didn't mean to look I was fobbing your advice off! I just did a bit of digging and found some conflicting advice so just wanted some clarification :) And seeing as your swap went smoothly I'm inclined to agree that it is fine! :D

viewtopic.php?t=38736 this post made it look like I needed to do the stuff outlined in my OP, so I was getting a bit worried!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Seems like there's only a possible issue with the facelift sport seats?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 am

dunks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 am
jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 pm As I said in the other thread there's no differnce in occupancy sensors

Sorry mate, didn't mean to look I was fobbing your advice off! I just did a bit of digging and found some conflicting advice so just wanted some clarification :) And seeing as your swap went smoothly I'm inclined to agree that it is fine! :D

viewtopic.php?t=38736 this post made it look like I needed to do the stuff outlined in my OP, so I was getting a bit worried!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Seems like there's only a possible issue with the facelift sport seats?
Don't worry Dunks even if you get an issue and don't want to get involved with coding. The fix is less than £1 worth of bits from Maplin or about a tenner ready made from eBay. Chime wise you can either buy a Second seatbelt clip again only a few pounds on eBay or simply connect your passenger seatbelt when no ones in the seat.
Much easier than if your car was built after 09/04 when they stopped fitting the full wiring loom
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am

dunks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 am

My post facelift sports seats went right in and worked fine..

Mike

dunks

Post by dunks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 am

Cheers guys, does seem pretty simple :)

My car was registered 09/2004, so hopefully it has the full loom! I had a quick look under the seat at the connector and took a photo (can't upload it right now) and it looks like the additional cables were there, such as the two thick dark red/brown type wires. I guess the easiest way to confirm is to pop out the control switch console and have a look at the plug there?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

dunks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 am Cheers guys, does seem pretty simple :)

My car was registered 09/2004, so hopefully it has the full loom! I had a quick look under the seat at the connector and took a photo (can't upload it right now) and it looks like the additional cables were there, such as the two thick dark red/brown type wires. I guess the easiest way to confirm is to pop out the control switch console and have a look at the plug there?
You should be fine as it's cars built after 09/04 that don't have it. If yours was registered in September the chances are it was built before that, in some cases well before that. Easy way to tell is there's a build date sticker on one of the shocker towers. Just pop your bonnet and have a look. From your early posts on here I though yours was a 53 plate. If so it will have been registered between 09/03 and 02/04, unless it's some sort of private plate of course. If it's a 53 plate you've comfortably got the loom in.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

dunks

Post by dunks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks, what a great source of information this forum is! The car is a 54 plate.

Now just to confirm the loom is there and then keep my eyes peeled for some heated memory seats :)

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am

fwiw i went from heated electric seats and they weigh as much as a small baltic island, and swapped out for some manual heated seats, there is a noticable difference in acceleration!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.