Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Seat Squeak Question

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Djtuffer

Post by Djtuffer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Guys,

I have a really annoying squeak coming from the back of the driver seat. It seems to be coming from right in the middle of the seat just below shoulder height. It's not rubbing against the rear bulkhead. When I lean forward the squeak stops. These are M Sport seats. Can the back cover be taken off the seat? I think it's something inside that needs some padding or lubrication. it's driving me mental!

Cheers

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 pm

I have this too. Msport leccy heated seats.
It creaks over lumpy bits of road. Hard to tell where its coming from - on mine id say the bottom half of the backrest.
Tilt the back a fraction and it goes away, only to reappear again after a while.
Id prefer a proper fix to get rid of it rather than compromising my ideal seat position, so watching thus thread avidly in the hope someone knows a fix.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 pm

GT85 Teflon spray sorted mine out :thumbsup:
Removed the drivers seat back and lightly sprayed all surfaces and also under the base squab. Wipe off any excess and it leaves a Teflon coating behind when it dries . Squeak free for almost 3 years now. Also works great on any other interior squeaks or rattles. :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Djtuffer

Post by Djtuffer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm

So how do you remove the hard plastic cover from rear of the seat? Any tip?. Probably have a go at it this weekend as it's driving me mental.

step_change

Post by step_change » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:54 pm

The squeakiest seats ever. Like a Lada from the 80's...
Will give that GT85 idea a whirl.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 am

patriot66 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 pm GT85 Teflon spray sorted mine out :thumbsup:
Removed the drivers seat back and lightly sprayed all surfaces and also under the base squab. Wipe off any excess and it leaves a Teflon coating behind when it dries . Squeak free for almost 3 years now. Also works great on any other interior squeaks or rattles. :D
So can you get at it all without removing the seat?
Just by takinv the back cover off?
Any pointers? Is it held on with screws or just plastic clips?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 am

IIRC there are screws under the lower edge of the seat back and it then pulls down and off. This gives access to the interior and under the rear also. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

step_change

Post by step_change » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am

Any photos from folks who have done this please?
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

markalp

Post by markalp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:41 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Cured a few little squeaks from the seat, i think mainly where the leather rubs against the plastic, but also sprayed around springs, metal parts etc.

Cheked on their site, safe to use on leather, just dont put it onto the part where you sit else you will be slipping off lol. I just raised the seat to its highest, srayed lightly along where the leather touches the plastic, lowered the seat a little, did it again, and repeated until the seat was as low as it could get.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Djtuffer

Post by Djtuffer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:08 am

I removed the seat but I can't work out how you remove the rear cover. Tow big bolts to remove the whole back section but I need to get inside the seat. No sign of any screws holding it on. Anyone dismantled the backrest of an MSport seat?

Djtuffer

Post by Djtuffer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Bumping this up. Anyone got any advice on removing the rear hard cover from a sports seat?