Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Chemical Metal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
tug

Chemical Metal

Post by tug » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 am

Hi All, a while back i had a full hunter alignment and 2 new goodyears on the back done, the zed was transformed :thumbsup: However, every 8 or 9 days i would have to fill the O/S rear with about 15lbs of air (low tyre pressure light on the dash)

So, thinkin it was probably a faulty valve i took it back. The lads at Walkers in leicester whipped the wheel off and tested it, yep a faulty valve so replaced it. After sorting that they tested it again, and found a 4" hairline crack in the centre of the alloy allowing air to escape :o

As money is quite tight at the minute i cant afford to replace my alloys (as much as i would like to, MV2's are my choice) i was a bit worried to say the least i needed the zed to get home.

The boss had a look and pondered on what to do "CHEMICAL METAL" he said, that should sort it for now. So straight on the phone and ordered some and to my surprise it turned up 5 mins later :)

He applied it straight away, made me a coffee and said to wait. After about 40 mins the lads pumped the tyre back up and, NO LEAKS! Back on the zed and ready to go and NO CHARGE! :D

What do you think guys, will this hold out ok untill i can afford some new alloys or should i be worried :(

Thanks for reading, Cheers. tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Chemical Metal

Post by firebobby » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 am

I have fixed items over the years with CM and it's lasted well. As it's a hairline crack, all the CM is doing is sealing the leak.
Not used it on an item that could spell disaster it it let go though, all depends on where the crack is and if it's still cracking. How about getting it alloy welded ?
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

tug

Chemical Metal

Post by tug » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for the reply mate, the crack is central just below the valve hole when looking at the back of the alloy. I will look into the welding but ideally i would love to be able to afford a new set, just hope it will hold out untill i can.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

TempusFugit

Chemical Metal

Post by TempusFugit » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:32 am

After owning my motorcycle for 5 years I found a previous owner had repaired a cracked crankcase/water pump with emetal. It had held well for that time with only a minor oil leak. Stripped and cleaned and re-applied new e-metal (and a new water pump), i figured it lasted well for 5+ years at engine temps and in oily conditions, still going good at 7 years :p