Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Centre caps???

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Centre caps???

Post by thanatu55 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm

TR4man wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:50 pm Any recommendations for the little M badges that go on MVs (and other wheels)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-M ... SwlY1ZNR0p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Small ... 2548.l4275

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Centre caps???

Post by enzed4 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:11 pm

D4dawg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm
enzed4 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 am
D4dawg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 am Not cheap but Oe all the way with badges for me as cheaper ones look cheap in comparison despite what some may say

You get what you pay for
I have some cheap ones on my wheels, and a genuine BMW one sitting in its plastic bag. With them side by side you can see the better quality/heft of the genuine one, but to me I don't think its worth the huge extra cost. Once the cheap ones are on the wheels you're hard pressed to notice much difference.
They last and no offence but easy to spot
No offence taken. I should have said that 99% of the population would be hard pressed to spot whether the wheel caps are OEM or aftermarket. The other 1% live on this forum :rofl:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

groovy_hippy

Centre caps???

Post by groovy_hippy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:21 pm

I've found the non-BMW centre caps to look a bit cheap next to BMW ones, but on their own - no problem. The old BMW ones that had a removable metal roundel were a great idea but seem to corrode quickly... the new one-piece BMW ones seem quite good though. The one-piece non-BMW ones don't tend to last as well in my experience, and sometimes are a bit wobbly in the wheel centre....
Trouble with BMW ones is that they're not cheap - I kept a hopeful eye out on eBay but eventually caved and bought from BMW's eBay store. There seem to be quite a few fake BMW ones around on eBay....

As for M stickers - I had some (fake ones) for about £4 a set off eBay, they fell off within a week ha! Probably would have benefitted from a little bit of epoxy resin or something to hold them onto the wheel since they never sat properly in the recess...ah well...another job for next summer!
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

D4dawg

Centre caps???

Post by D4dawg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:55 pm

enzed4 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:11 pm
D4dawg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm
enzed4 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 am

I have some cheap ones on my wheels, and a genuine BMW one sitting in its plastic bag. With them side by side you can see the better quality/heft of the genuine one, but to me I don't think its worth the huge extra cost. Once the cheap ones are on the wheels you're hard pressed to notice much difference.
They last and no offence but easy to spot
No offence taken. I should have said that 99% of the population would be hard pressed to spot whether the wheel caps are OEM or aftermarket. The other 1% live on this forum :rofl:
Hahahaha love it
Mate I've just received my new gearstick souround from bmw as I had 2 small marks on it at front
OCD time hahah
As since fitting new m5 stick and gator it stands out!!
Attachments
Screenshot_20171011-215405.png
Screenshot_20171011-215405.png (607.23 KiB) Viewed 899 times

D4dawg

Centre caps???

Post by D4dawg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 pm

groovy_hippy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:21 pm I've found the non-BMW centre caps to look a bit cheap next to BMW ones, but on their own - no problem. The old BMW ones that had a removable metal roundel were a great idea but seem to corrode quickly... the new one-piece BMW ones seem quite good though. The one-piece non-BMW ones don't tend to last as well in my experience, and sometimes are a bit wobbly in the wheel centre....
Trouble with BMW ones is that they're not cheap - I kept a hopeful eye out on eBay but eventually caved and bought from BMW's eBay store. There seem to be quite a few fake BMW ones around on eBay....

As for M stickers - I had some (fake ones) for about £4 a set off eBay, they fell off within a week ha! Probably would have benefitted from a little bit of epoxy resin or something to hold them onto the wheel since they never sat properly in the recess...ah well...another job for next summer!
Haha I tried that on wheels when had my rep csl
Hahah they fell off after 3 days hahah

NickDE

Centre caps???

Post by NickDE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I use eBay ones. I buy ones with multiple clips on the back, not just five that the very nasty ones have.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Centre caps???

Post by enzed4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm

NickDE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm I use eBay ones. I buy ones with multiple clips on the back, not just five that the very nasty ones have.
This is what I did as well, and have had no problems with them at all. I held a genuine item up against the aftermarket version yesterday and honestly could not tell the difference, so either D4Dawg has supernatural levels of visual acuity, or he's been burnt by some very crappy examples (which if they fell off after a few days, may be the case) :lol:

D4dawg

Centre caps???

Post by D4dawg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

enzed4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm
NickDE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm I use eBay ones. I buy ones with multiple clips on the back, not just five that the very nasty ones have.
This is what I did as well, and have had no problems with them at all. I held a genuine item up against the aftermarket version yesterday and honestly could not tell the difference, so either D4Dawg has supernatural levels of visual acuity, or he's been burnt by some very crappy examples (which if they fell off after a few days, may be the case) :lol:
Hahah I just can't stand copies buddy
That and my vision is 20/20 and annoyingly I fault find every day for work and you can spot the difference;)

I honestly don't see the point on buying a great car and being a cheapskate on.parts
Buy a piece of crap and do that haha

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Centre caps???

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 pm

D4dawg wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pmHahah I just can't stand copies buddy
That and my vision is 20/20 and annoyingly I fault find every day for work and you can spot the difference;)

I honestly don't see the point on buying a great car and being a cheapskate on.parts
Your car always looks stunning OP, but we aren't all looking to win prizes at a concourse d'elegance - some of us have to work to a budget.

If I could get 90% of the product for 50% of the cost I'd be tempted!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Centre caps???

Post by enzed4 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 am

D4dawg wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

If I had an ///M I might agree, but a 2.5Si doesn't qualify as a 'great' car no matter how much I might wish it were so. And saving money on something that is to all intents and purposes identical to the original is not being a cheapskate. (Please don't throw that back at me if I ever rant about fake watches...).
I think I'll start another thread with pics of my cheapskate centre caps alongside an OEM cap and see who can spot the difference.
Anyway, enough said as we're just going to have to agree to disagree and stop derailing this thread. :thumbsup:

D4dawg

Centre caps???

Post by D4dawg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 am

enzed4 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 am
D4dawg wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

If I had an ///M I might agree, but a 2.5Si doesn't qualify as a 'great' car no matter how much I might wish it were so. And saving money on something that is to all intents and purposes identical to the original is not being a cheapskate. (Please don't throw that back at me if I ever rant about fake watches...).
I think I'll start another thread with pics of my cheapskate centre caps alongside an OEM cap and see who can spot the difference.
Anyway, enough said as we're just going to have to agree to disagree and stop derailing this thread. :thumbsup:
Hahah awwww this was fun;)
Not mocking buddy each to own of course and your car
Thing is with the condition of mine people don't notice that so much as try to find fault
So I avoid that from happening :)

D4dawg

Centre caps???

Post by D4dawg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Your car always looks stunning OP, but we aren't all looking to win prizes at a concourse d'elegance - some of us have to work to a budget.

Fully agree buddy
But as said to zeds post the cleaner your car the harder people look to find fault hahah

D4dawg

Centre caps???

Post by D4dawg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:56 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Fully agree buddy
But as said to zeds post the cleaner your car the harder people look to find fault hahah

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Centre caps???

Post by mmm-five » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 am

I’ve had both types..genuine ones...from BMW.

Both types have lasted less than two years before they were looking grotty, with flaking/chipped decal and grubby/corroding chrome bits.

Bought a cheap set off eBay after my 2nd set of OE ones and they’re wearing in exactly the same manner at about the same rate.

I just consider them another consumable...along with pads/discs...and so buy equivalent/upgrade items where possible...but most of us are happy to put non-OE parts on the car when BMW decides to price-gouge us on Genuine parts.

...and it’s not like a badge is a safety-critical item.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ferry

Centre caps???

Post by ferry » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Struggling to find a set for style 107s, with the raised lip around the circumference. Anyone have any links please?