Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

more research questions pls

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 pm

hi again, after a bit more research on the non m coupe i have a few more questions.

im going to be in budget on a 60-80k car therfore what are the service items i need to be aware of and or things that start packing up..
not sure if auto or manual, think id like a auto but depends on every day mpg decrease over manual..
what would i expect replacement wise in the next 20-30k that will be 5 years for i guess.

shocks? bushes?

clutches
theres a car with 100k up for sale listed with new clutch, what is the average expectancy on a well cared for non tracked car 7 how much does the replacement cost at independant?

timing chains and other timing waterpump related bits, when do they need to be replaced? do they stretch.. how much does this cost.

a/c any known issues beyond keeping gas refreshed..
sat nav guess this is probably useless compared to waze or tom tom but is it worth having to make the interior feel a little pleasant.. the non nave cars look to have the same stereo i had in a 3 series back in 2002..
do these have bluetooth?

ive seen a couple of cars with what looks like a nice stereo in, with a bespoke fascia b;ank at each end... is this easy and cheap to do this mod if wanting to replace stereo...

im leaning toward a blue with cream white intereo or the grey/gold pearl colour.... anything specifically to watch out for on this spec
im not that keen (only because of cleaning issues) on the wheels that look like split rims what are these called..

defo need heated seats, is this standard or comes part of a pack...

i understand i may be being a little picky at this stage, but i casn always aim high and step backward on spec if non available..

thanks

Andy

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi, your target mileage is prime time for the electronic water pump to suffer terminal meltdown :(
I think some have been stung for nearly a grand at bmw for replacement but an oe pump is available for £250 & it’s an easy diy job :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi OP,

At that mileage bushes and shocks are going to be worn, so I'd look for evidence of them having been replaced or budget for some refreshing. Rear springs are also prone to breaking - both my Coupes had had them replaced well before 50K Miles!

As far as I know my current car is on the original clutch at 84K and it works fine with no slip - how long they last probably depends on how they have been driven!

I don't think the N52 engine is known for camshaft chain issues but as Rob has said the electric water pumps do just fail - the pump on my first Coupe died at 60K miles and 10 years old. If it's a concern you could try to find one that has already had a new pump.

Brake pipes can suffer from corrosion (I've just had my rears done) but will usually appear as an advisory on the MOT.

I can't help you on the stereo as both mine had the standard head unit, but some on here have upgraded and installed Bluetooth.

The split rim wheels you refer to are known as 108s - quite easy to clean but they need to be taken apart to be refurbed!

Heated seats were a specific option - as were bi-Xenon headlights, cruise control, rear parking sensors and Multi-Function Steering Wheel.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

So a quick photo of mine, complete with the 108 wheels:-
Attachments
Blue Z4 Nearside 141216.JPG
Blue Z4 Nearside 141216.JPG (336.72 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 pm

great info guys,
im not adverse to spending on items as an when they pack up, i just like to know where im at before i jump, otherwise i get a bit of buyers remorse, when i find out after..
my other toy is a lotus evora, which is pretty good on cost to maintain the consumables as its a toyota v6, but to do a clutch change is an clam shell off engine out 2.2k job... :thumbsdown: But this can be forgiven the car is totally amazing... but i man mathed this out in my head prior to purchase..

im reasonably confident at mechanicals, but from experience the right tools are a must.. i also have a couple of clients who own garages so i know i can get great service on non return to dealer items..
mr tidy your car certainly is, and is pretty much exactly what im after... interesting on the wheels, might stick them back on the list..

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (329.32 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Style 32 wheels.

I think you are right to go for the spec and colour you want, and just plan in for a few repairs. That way you know they have been done right.

I think the non-nav dashboard looks better. A cleaner look.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 pm

andyj007 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 pmmr tidy your car certainly is, and is pretty much exactly what im after... interesting on the wheels, might stick them back on the list..
Thanks, I like the look of the 108 wheels and bought this one because they had obviously been refurbed quite recently.

But no, mine isn't for sale - I fell into that trap with my previous one, which is why I now have this one! :lol:

BTW some of the options can be retro-fitted quite easily - cruise especially, now that a forum member is making up the addition to the wiring loom that you need.

Nick's looks great on the style 32 wheels, although they weren't offered on the E86 AFAIK - might have to get my winter set refurbed from black to silver now!

Good luck finding one you like. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pm

This blue looks quite nice under artificial light, but i guess its near as dam black in real light? any one have in this colour real world pics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-BMW-Z4-C ... Swb0hZ3g7j

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 am

andyj007 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pmThis blue looks quite nice under artificial light, but i guess its near as dam black in real light? any one have in this colour real world pics
Scroll up a bit - NickDE's is that colour! (Monaco Blue).
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:14 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 am
andyj007 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pmThis blue looks quite nice under artificial light, but i guess its near as dam black in real light? any one have in this colour real world pics
Scroll up a bit - NickDE's is that colour! (Monaco Blue).
Nah, mine's Nachtblau. Looks black in poor light, dark metallic blue in good light, and reveals hint of purple when the sun catches it.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 am

As has been mentioned above, your target mileage means a car that will likely need a suspension refresh in your ownership and a water pump. Waterpump is about £500 replaced I think. With suspension it might just be rear springs cracking and lollipop bushes wearing out
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 am

The car in the Ebay link is exactly same spec and colour as mine (Monaco blue). Only difference being mine is caramel leather and an E85. I think £9k would be an ok price for it at that mileage.

The colour is lovely but be prepared to invest in a decent dual action polisher to keep it looking good as it shows up scratches and swirls remarkably easy.
IMG_8762.JPG
IMG_8762.JPG (474.92 KiB) Viewed 894 times
IMG_8742.JPG
IMG_8742.JPG (594.18 KiB) Viewed 894 times
IMG_8726.JPG
IMG_8726.JPG (335.58 KiB) Viewed 894 times
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:19 pm

ph001 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 am The car in the Ebay link is exactly same spec and colour as mine (Monaco blue). Only difference being mine is caramel leather and an E85. I think £9k would be an ok price for it at that mileage.

The colour is lovely but be prepared to invest in a decent dual action polisher to keep it looking good as it shows up scratches and swirls remarkably easy.IMG_8762.JPGIMG_8742.JPGIMG_8726.JPG
That tan leather looks great, not seen it before!
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 pm

thanks for info guys, test drove said car today...
lovely genuine seller, always nice... was kind enough to let me take it on an extended test drive... as ive not decided on manual or auto
loved the auto gearbox, really suits my driving style , cant see me ever left thinking i should have got a manual... i have my evora for that purpose.....

colour is a little darker than i would have ideally liked, you can see its blue, in sunlight, but its quite dark, very nice colour tho..
think my first choice would be interlargos as its lighter, i have to clean my wifes blue mini which has a gloss black roof... you have to polish the roof every time just to get rid of watermarks on that --- and thats using softened water!.. so need to deicide if thats going to frustrate me after new car novelty wears out...??

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm

I know what you mean about dark colours OP - my Ruby Black one was a PITA to keep looking clean!

BTW Interlagos Blue was only for M models, the 3 litre Coupes were Montego Blue (like mine in the photo I posted) although Montego and Interlagos look pretty similar.

FWIW Monaco Blue is rarer than Montego Blue - but don't believe what the seller says about E86 numbers! Another forum member got numbers for UK spec E86s and there were about 2,500 non-M E86s (although some of those were SE models).
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:26 am

The key to those water marks is spray with a quick detailer during drying 👍
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.