Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High jack - how to ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Hmm, I thought don't sweat after that comment, bought a jacking pad and tried today

The ali plate just pressed inwards and until the car raised , so the square area remained intact, but the whole section pushed up, not sure it raised due to hitting the cross member

So a warning, the cross member must be under there but the base of the indentation is not flush and will bend up

I don't understand the misinformation out there and indeed from the TIS, if you jack under there the plate will bend up, if you don;t use a pad then the ridges will crush.

Almost like BMW wanted to set a puzzle, why so difficult ...... :thumbsdown:
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Didn't I say this...?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Kamuela

High jack - how to ?

Post by Kamuela » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Strange that you would mash the ridges. Sounds like things didn't fit right. Mine was already mashed a bit around the ridges, but with the jacking pad no more damage occurred. It just, well, lifted up. I point out that my jacking pad actually fits into the rectangular indentation quite well, doesn't slop over onto the outer raised area. No problem at all. if I pull off the front, plastic under tray, I can see where the bellypan is right up against the crossmember, maybe a few mm clearance at most (that's while not trying to jack it up) so it likely does move up a wee bit.
I'm pretty clear now that that's the front jacking point, you need the proper tool (the jacking pad, which is sold specifically for that job), and that it picks up pretty cleanly. It may or may not dent the ridges, shouldn't if the pad fits well into the recess.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by kis » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:48 pm

charlie8 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:39 pmThe ali plate just pressed inwards and until the car raised
So maybe do a cut out? Like suggested? Like the M? :?
Kamuela wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pmWorst case, I'll cut a hole there just like the M and slap a pad on the crossmember, which as I recall, is drilled for it already.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:32 pm

What is a cut out going to do for the integrity of the tray? It's a structural piece with bolts that are designed to shear in a collision.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by kis » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 pm

So what about all M cars? They've got no structural integrity?

It's like a ceiling joist. You can happily drill a hole through for wiring to run and this doesn't affect the integrity. Of course if you're cutting out strategic points where it would fix to the car then that's different. But if the M can be structurally safe and use the same thing, why can't any other Zed?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Sorry I was not very clear. I mean with the jack pad it fits nicely into the square hole as mine did, but the whole plate got pushed up ie 6 inch square of metal bend up until it hit something. I presume it did hit something as the car started to lift, but it did not feel very stable like it was just bending wider and taking the strain

I meant with no jack pad you will crush the indent edges as you won#t get a flush pressure point

Next time I'll do as you say, pull back the platsic window and look in to see it is flush with the cross member - once I see that - its a no brainer

All in all its still a really sh***y situation that something is there, but bends up and why M only has a pad already fitted. Why would that be the case for such a fundamental way to lift a car. I franky just don;y understand it - more so as its a key safety issue ......

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 pm

kis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 pm So what about all M cars? They've got no structural integrity?

It's like a ceiling joist. You can happily drill a hole through for wiring to run and this doesn't affect the integrity. Of course if you're cutting out strategic points where it would fix to the car then that's different. But if the M can be structurally safe and use the same thing, why can't any other Zed?
There is no cutout for the M afaik, but there must be something behind the indent for it not to crush.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by kis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 pm
kis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 pm So what about all M cars? They've got no structural integrity?

There is no cutout for the M afaik, but there must be something behind the indent for it not to crush.
I see, so no cut out but something is sitting there behind the undertray? While all other Zeds have an void? We got anyone with an M that can confirm? :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Yeah the indentation is there but there must be a gap of some sort on the non m that is filled on the M, otherwise it wouldn't crush. I remember there being a structural piece behind when I've taken the tray off.

charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:58 pm

DSC03894.JPG
DSC03894.JPG (159.58 KiB) Viewed 770 times
DSC03895.JPG
DSC03895.JPG (178.63 KiB) Viewed 770 times
DSC03896.JPG
DSC03896.JPG (166.52 KiB) Viewed 770 times
DSC03897.JPG
DSC03897.JPG (146.89 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Got it. Hosted up inch by inch, front and back.

Square front indent is indeed strong enough and once bent in a bit even with the puck, sits flush with the cross member. You can see it is slightly deformed, but minimal.

I got big high 6 ton jacks so that they are soild even at 450mm, not at the height limit of cheaper jacks

Seems about high enough as it is and easy to slide my board around and get to most things.

I have a 2 more fail safes, trolley and wishbone ( wedged in with a mallet ), then final dead man saver with bricks

Mike6

High jack - how to ?

Post by Mike6 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Personally I wouldnt leave the car jacked up over winter. Just make sure you move the car back and forth a few times to ensure the tyres dont flatten in contact with the ground.

charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 pm

This is to do some chores, once they are done, I'll be back down.