Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High jack - how to ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 am

I am soon going to be resting the Zed up for winter and will spend the months giving it a good once over, which will involve getting it off the ground pretty high ~ 450mm up on all corners to do things like - gbox oil change, all 4 discs, 4 wheel refurb etc etc

So alot of searching on this forum gives a slightly conflicting view on the front center jacking point

Anyway, assuming that is a no go ( I have an Msport not an M ) and given there is no way I can get the car up on my ramps given about 3" clearance from the ground under the front bumper, how can get I get the car up that high on 4 axle stands under the sill jacking points ?

The procedure I can think of will be
  • Jack up at rear jack points, each side to get the front axle stands under ( this will be quite low as you cannot tilt the car too much )
  • Jack up at the rear center point, to get the 2 axle stands under the rear jacking points
Then what ? How can I get the front up to get the axle stands higher ? I can easily get the rears higher and I just go high with the rear centre point

Seems a pretty easy thing to do that I have done in the past, but the Zed seems to be awkward in this dept ?

My jack is a low profile, monster and has a reach for 520 mm, but I cannot see how to use that to good affect here

Anybody done this or advice, can the under floor cover be removed to allow the front center jack to be used or is that just not a good strong place regardless unless you have an M ?

C
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Silverzedtom

High jack - how to ?

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 am

The method I use to get onto four axle stands is the same as the one you described.

It doesn't get the car very high off of the ground though, when removing my clutch delay valve the back of my head was on the ground and my nose squashed up against the car.

Even if you got a mate to use another jack so your both jacking the rear points I think when you release the jacks the front axles would slip due to the pivot - probably a bit unsafe as well.

Could you borrow a lift or rent one for a day and then store the car on axles at a lower height?
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 am

Hi, if you can’t drive up onto your ramps screw some planks of wood together & drive up onto them to raise the front of the car off the ground.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

aarsavage

High jack - how to ?

Post by aarsavage » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:08 am

JackPoint Jackstands, you can jack and place the axel stand on the same jacking point.

Edit: they're not cheap

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by patriot66 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm

I more or less do what Smartbear suggests. I raise the front edge of the ramps on a sturdy block of wood to 'soften' the angle and then 'lengthen' the slope of the ramp with 2 foot lengths of timber, like this :
20170819_095645_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170819_095645_Richtone(HDR).jpg (226.2 KiB) Viewed 2238 times

I then jack the rear of the car up using the central jacking point by the diff and put axle stands under the rear side jacking points. Just reverse the process if you want to remove the front wheels, otherwise it's plenty high enough for changing gearbox/diff/engine oil etc :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks, some good tips - 'll explore by playing with my wood :o

As you say, prob no need to get all 4 up at once, can move things around a bit, Guess I was lazy thinking once up on all 4 I can choose to do any jobs as it suits, but should really setup for job A, then setup for job B

Steve84N

High jack - how to ?

Post by Steve84N » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:25 pm

I recently got a Quickjack, not cheap but a worthwhile investment longer term and gets it up to almost 0.5m in under a minute.
IMG_20170924_131347_01.jpg
IMG_20170924_131347_01.jpg (198.13 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
IMG_20170924_131332_01.jpg
IMG_20170924_131332_01.jpg (209 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Z4LEE

High jack - how to ?

Post by Z4LEE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 am

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

High jack - how to ?

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:04 am

FWIW I wouldn't do that OP - based on what I have read the only E85/E86 Z4 that has a central front jacking point is the M!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Kamuela

High jack - how to ?

Post by Kamuela » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:10 am

Z4Lee's pic shows the marked indentation in the belly an where an M has a jack pad. The front crossmember is just above this, but jacking there will mash the marked indentation. Strange that the M has a cutout there and a jack pad, while the non-M does not, the crossmember and pan seem otherwise the same. I can't decide if this is a good idea or not. My copy of the workshop manual shows this as a jack point for all cars, not just M's.

edit; I think that's the purpose of this-- https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +jack+pads

The rectangular part looks to fit neatly in the stamped recess in the belly pan, and the round base fits on the jack pad. Since it's sold for the purpose, I'm guessing that's the way to do it. I suppose a block of wood would serve, too. I shall order one of the rubber ones and report back.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by kis » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 am

charlie8 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 amThen what ? How can I get the front up to get the axle stands higher ? I can easily get the rears higher and I just go high with the rear centre point
You not seen that post about the guy who jacked the f**k out of his E36 M3 to save it from the flood? Link here... you could employ the same method?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

charlie8

High jack - how to ?

Post by charlie8 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Hmmm, thats not a place I'd put the family jewels under

So now I am thinking the front jack spot is OK, I can see the ident under my car, so if the only issue is about crushing the ali guard but it IS a structurally strong safe place to jack, then yes I will just order a jack pad and use that. My fear was there was nothing safe behind it in all but the M

In fact just getting the front up high enough via the rear side jack points to get 2 stands under the front, would then be high enough to slide in the jack under the center point to go higher. Then just cycle round 10 cm lifts front & back center points, lifting up the axle stands as you go in the 4 corners

When its up, bit of wood to fit under the center points just to be doubly sure and I would say thats a solid hold

Kamuela

High jack - how to ?

Post by Kamuela » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

I just had my belly pan off, the aluminum sheet is single thickness at that spot and the front crossmember is above it. It appears - don't have an M handy to check - that the M has a cutout there and a jacking pad screwed to the crossmember protruding through the belly pan. From context and a bit of research, it appears that the "jacking pads" on Amazon and others are made to fit into what is, I suspect, a standard sized indentation BMW uses a lot. So, using the jack pad shouldn't mash the aluminum. Shouldn't. We'll see. Worst case, I'll cut a hole there just like the M and slap a pad on the crossmember, which as I recall, is drilled for it already. Lifting by the back to support the front is scary, the whole car teeters between one offside wheel and the jack, done with that.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

High jack - how to ?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm

It does get mashed as I found out the first time I looked under, it had been used previously.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Z4LEE

High jack - how to ?

Post by Z4LEE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 pm

so much debate :-)

I'm Canadian, so i put a hockey puck on the jack and placed it under the indentation, I'm as anal as the next guy, but it didn't do a millimetre of damage - it's actually the correct place to raise the car. It lifts very evenly, and then you put jack stands under the designated side jack stand supports. Easy peasy.