Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another busy weekend

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Paulr

Another busy weekend

Post by Paulr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 pm

patriot66 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:16 pm The pockets behind the seats are loudspeakers if you have the 10 speaker system. :thumbsup:
Ah, I must have the ten speaker system then. Nice!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Another busy weekend

Post by ph001 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:36 pm

You have the seats from it but not the audio as the rear cubbyholes have subs in on the 10 speaker setup
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Ah I was completely on the wrong track! I figured everyone knew about the cubbyhole/sub setup so stupidly I thought you were referring to the little flap pocket on the back of the seat (i'm pretty sure most car seats have them). I started to think my seat pockets must be an optional extra!! :oops:

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest!

Theivz

Another busy weekend

Post by Theivz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:02 pm

awesome work :thumbsup:

car looks great :driving:

Danderton

Another busy weekend

Post by Danderton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Good work!

How did you secure the under seat sub in place? And where did you run the power and earth leads to?

Also does the sub restrict the movement of the drivers seat at all or is there plenty of clearance?

Thanks

Dan
Model: Sterling Grey 3.0i Z4 Roadster
Upgrades: M Steering Wheel : ZHP : 224 Alloys : Black Kidneys : Clear Repeaters : Pioneer X580DAB : Stubby

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Danderton wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 pm Good work!

How did you secure the under seat sub in place? And where did you run the power and earth leads to?

Also does the sub restrict the movement of the drivers seat at all or is there plenty of clearance?

Thanks

Dan
The two straps around the sub are screwed to the cabin floor with four screws, they buckle up to hold it firmly in place rather than screwing the body of the sub down I presume for easy portability. All the leads feed neatly into one plug to the sub too for quick release and resume.

The power is up through the carpet through the centre console then fed behind the rear panels straight to the battery. The earth is just an earth point within the centre console. The high frequency feed is taken from the two rear speakers because there is no remote feed from the stereo.

I did worry initially that it might not fit beneath the seat but found it to fit snugly enough to be able to move the seat back as far as it will go as well as keeping it nicely hidden. There's enough clearance above and the potentially problematic metal bar beneath the seat halts about an inch distance away from the sub housing with the seat at it's furthest point back so no obstruction at all.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Another busy weekend

Post by kis » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am

One mistake I made on my discs was not prepping them thoroughly before installation. I should have sprayed / painted them up (with heat resistant paint) before installing as the hub area is already starting to rust! :cry: I hope you did yours! :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Darkangelv2

Another busy weekend

Post by Darkangelv2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm To be honest I hadn't even noticed them until you pointed them out, it's just how they came when I bought it. Are they not part of the seat?
They're not as useful as you'd think! There's always a sodding seat in the way! :rofl:
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Boris

Another busy weekend

Post by Boris » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 pm You should sweep your work area before you start anything. I couldnt be crawling about on all those stones on the monoblock.
Musty admit that was the first thing I thought when I saw that ooh, ah, the knees :cry:

Danderton

Another busy weekend

Post by Danderton » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 pm
Danderton wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 pm Good work!

Thanks

Dan
The two straps around the sub are screwed to the cabin floor with four screws, they buckle up to hold it firmly in place rather than screwing the body of the sub down I presume for easy portability. All the leads feed neatly into one plug to the sub too for quick release and resume.

The power is up through the carpet through the centre console then fed behind the rear panels straight to the battery. The earth is just an earth point within the centre console. The high frequency feed is taken from the two rear speakers because there is no remote feed from the stereo.

I did worry initially that it might not fit beneath the seat but found it to fit snugly enough to be able to move the seat back as far as it will go as well as keeping it nicely hidden. There's enough clearance above and the potentially problematic metal bar beneath the seat halts about an inch distance away from the sub housing with the seat at it's furthest point back so no obstruction at all.
Awesome thanks. I've put an aftermarket pioneer head unit in so it should have a remote feed on the back. I've already added door speakers but just lacking a bit of bass so this looks like the most straightforward option.

Cheers

Dan
Model: Sterling Grey 3.0i Z4 Roadster
Upgrades: M Steering Wheel : ZHP : 224 Alloys : Black Kidneys : Clear Repeaters : Pioneer X580DAB : Stubby

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 pm

It's worth it. Being such a small cabin you don't need anything too crazy to pack a decent punch.

thanatu55

Another busy weekend

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 pm

kis wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am One mistake I made on my discs was not prepping them thoroughly before installation. I should have sprayed / painted them up (with heat resistant paint) before installing as the hub area is already starting to rust! :cry: I hope you did yours! :)
The rears I got with a heat resistant protective coating. However the fronts I did the week before I also forgot and noticed a few rusty marks around the drill holes in the disc already... Devastated!

I might whip them off again and get them treated before it's too late.

JINGLE

Another busy weekend

Post by JINGLE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:09 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 pm
kis wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am One mistake I made on my discs was not prepping them thoroughly before installation. I should have sprayed / painted them up (with heat resistant paint) before installing as the hub area is already starting to rust! :cry: I hope you did yours! :)
The rears I got with a heat resistant protective coating. However the fronts I did the week before I also forgot and noticed a few rusty marks around the drill holes in the disc already... Devastated!

I might whip them off again and get them treated before it's too late.
Luckily you managed to change your rear order before it was too late!